Guide to connecting 2 vmware machines?

someuser23someuser23 Member Posts: 103
trying to network 2 machines via vmware workstation, anyone have a guide to do this?

Thanks....

I downloaded vmserver or free but it says I need to un-install vmware workstation first.
Ribs still touching....

Comments

• hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□

You may find VirtualBox a lot easier to play around with, especially when it's 100% free without registration hassle and all of that. I have a very little experience with what you are using, and I believe it's no longer called VMware Workstation. You should check out what I suggest and you won't regret it. You will be able to make two guest OSes communicate with each other without too much modifications.
  • elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 102
    Simple procedure for VMware Workstation, if the only concern is network connectivity between two virtual machines:

1. Use the virtual network editor in VMware Workstation (Edit > Virtual Network Editor) to configure a Host-only private network.

Example:
    1. Open the Virtual Network Editor
    2. Select VMnet2
    3. Select the Host-only radio button
    4. Configure a subnet IP (ex. 192.168.110.0)
    5. Configure a subnet mask (ex. 255.255.255.0)

If you also wish the VMs to network with the host system (ie. your PC), you'd check the 'Connect a host virtual adapter to this network' option.

2. If neither of the VMs is a DHCP server, you can use the "Use local DHCP service" option in the Virtual Network Editor to take care of automatic addressing. Use the DHCP Options button to configure the address range. In this example, you'd use Start IP 192.168.110.1 and End IP 192.168.110.254.

Alternatively, you can power on the VMs and configure them to use static IP addresses. As long as you put them in the same subnet, they'll be able to communicate with each other.

3. In each VM's settings, configure its network adapter to use VMnet2 as its custom network.

4. Power on the virtual machines.
    WIP: CISSP, MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Casual reading:
    CCNP, Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference, Network Warrior

• someuser23someuser23 Member Posts: 103

I'll try that out right now, thank you.
    Ribs still touching....
  • saiprasadnukalasaiprasadnukala Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As per your post, edits in virtual network editor are done. After editing when i am trying to communicate i.e ping from Virtual machine1 (Win xp with static ip: 192.168.110.2) to another virtual machine (Win xp with static ip: 192.168.110.3) it shows Request timed out.

Could you please help me on this issue....!
    elTorito wrote: »
    Simple procedure for VMware Workstation, if the only concern is network connectivity between two virtual machines:

-snip-
  • saiprasadnukalasaiprasadnukala Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As per your post, edits in virtual network editor are done. After editing when i am trying to communicate i.e ping from Virtual machine1 (Win xp with static ip: 192.168.110.2) to another virtual machine (Win xp with static ip: 192.168.110.3) it shows Request timed out.

Could you please help me on this issue....!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Hello,

I was trying to network multiple VM's in the past and ran into the same issues. Here are some of the websites I came across that helped me accomplish that:

VMware Test Lab Setup Instructions

Chapter 6. Virtual networking

VMware Communities: Understanding Networking in VMware Fusion

VMware Communities: Confused about networking choices?

Hopefully these are of help.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Windows Firewall?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • BaackBaack Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Windows Firewall?

Yeah I agree
    I run and connect a few different machines in vmware workstation
    To get the machines to ping you have to turn off the firewalls
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    You may find VirtualBox a lot easier to play around with

Coming from somebody who has worked extensively with both...VMware is far more intuitive when it comes to networking. Oracle definitely has its advantages, but networking between virtual hosts definitely goes to VMware. Many of the most simple network configurations for a lab environment just work with vmware. Doing the exact same configurations on Oracle has frequently resulted in a 1-2 hour headache before I get everything working.

But that is just my personal experience. What I usually recommend to people though, is to try out both and see what works best for them.
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Ok not to hijack this thread in anyway but can someone possibly suggest a decent budget friendly Switch to connect a Desktop running VMware Workstation and another Desktop running ESXi? I am facing an issue wherein the DHCP (separate device is causing conflicts) is not allowing me to Bridge both the devices to one Network.
    My apologies if irrelevant.
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    24 port Cisco 2950 switches can be bought for about $20 on eBay.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    instead using a host-only network (isolated), why not using a NATed network (same subnet for guests/VMs and host) and test conectivity between each separate VM with the host before tests between VMs? For example, ping the host from a VM ...