Ceh-ilearn

natureboy24natureboy24 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has anyone prepare for the CEH exam with EC-Council ILearn package? If so, what is the pros and cons of using this approach? What is the best way to prepare with CEH ILEARN package?
MBA: Information Systems (2008)
BS: Management Information Systems (2006)

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Isn't that package like 2 grand? icon_eek.gif
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Certified Ethical Hacker Training Online, (ethical hacker certified), computer forensics training online, penetration testing training online, information security training, online CEH Course

Its $1449 I think icon_sad.gif. I would say self-study if you meet the two years experience requirement. I watched a couple of those vids before and it seems like a lot of other CBTs on this topic; its a quick overview of each domain but doesn't get nitty gritty. There are a couple threads with book lists floating around the forum; definitely check them out.

If you do not have the experience, I'd honestly say go for a boot camp (if your employer is helping you out with the cost). Still a high level overview but having a teacher right there to help you along the way is nice.
  • historian1974historian1974 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Has anyone prepare for the CEH exam with EC-Council ILearn package? If so, what is the pros and cons of using this approach? What is the best way to prepare with CEH ILEARN package?

I started this last week. I originally wanted to do the Flex Class since I didn't want to burn my vacation time from work. EC-Council told me the Flex Classes were cancelled. So...I opted to go with the iClass Mobile option, which is the same as iLearn with the added component of getting a mobile device as part of the courseware. They give you a choice of iPod Touch, iPad, or a netbook (I opted for the 64GB iPad). The training videos that are available through iLearn are also loaded on the device for learning on the go - they take up about 15GB of space.

Since the Flex Classes were cancelled, my sales rep also threw in the 1 day CEH Exam Prep Course, which comes with a free exam re-take (this means I have 2 tries at the exam including the voucher that comes with the iClass package). I will have to take a day off of work since this is given live online, but that's fine.

The videos I received are instructed by Wayne Burke. I read somewhere on another board...or maybe it was here...that his instruction for CEH is top notch. While I have nothing to compare it to, I'm definitely enjoying...and more importantly, learning with his instruction.

I have access to the online videos until January of next year, so I can learn at my own pace and don't have to cram it all in over a five day period. My work is paying for it, so I cannot drag it out until next year, but I've set a goal to take the exam mid-April.

I say go for it if you're a disciplined self-learner and do not meet the work experience requirement.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks for the info, I look forward to seeing more of a review as you progress. Personally, I just ordered the Intense School CEH Online course. Apparently I do have to wait until the course material arrives to access the online content, but in the meantime I am using the CEH Study guide and the Logical Security videos. I also just found the PrepLogic CEH Audio Lecture series, and I am trying that as well.
    Well, I finished the videos. It went through these in a little over two weeks. In short, I learned a lot. The videos are comprised of lectures w/ PowerPoint slides and tool demonstrations. They also incorporated "guest speakers" to demo some of the tools. There is a lengthy demonstration on Core Impact, but part of the time it felt like the guy was trying to sell his product as opposed to provide training. There were times during the videos where it seemed like stuff was skipped. The presenter would be talking about one subject and mention that next up would be a demo or further discussion, but the following segment started off on a different topic. Some of subjects can be dry, so the instructor laces in jokes and funny anecdotes; albeit corny ones. At the end of each module there's a short 10 question review quiz on the subject matter.

My next setp is to rifle through the 4 coursebooks and work on the lab book. I've scheduled my extra Exam Review Class for March 10th.

I've also considered purchasing an additional third-party book to suplement my studies, but between the videos, courseware, and exam review class, there seems to be a lot of coverage. One thing I think is missing is review exams (excluding the 10 question quizzes). I'm really more confortable taking practice exams under simulated conditions so I can get an idea of where I'm weak - so maybe I'll hunt some down (maybe PrepLogic?).
  • DarckoreDarckore Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im about to pay for the Ilearn CeH training course, from what you guys have posted it seems legit. But There are a damn load of complaints and bad reviews about other IT training courses like Computeach.

My question is, if I apply for this course will I be looking at a quality service where im going to learn a lot? and get value for money, or is it over-rated?

Thanks.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've been absent here for a while, but thought I'd post an update.

So I went through the videos and took the 1 day exam prep class online. I waited until July 1 to use my first voucher. Well, due to family, school, and work commitments, I had very little time to study. Needless to say I failed...barely. So I regrouped and sat the exam again today and passed. Overall I'd say the training I received coupled with my existing knowledge was adequate to pass the exam with flying colors (80%). The initial failure was on me since I took so long to take the exam and didn't study until right before I sat it.

Getting the iPad was nice, but I haven't touched it for a few months.

I ran into one question today that was supposed to have an exhibit, but didn't. I called EC-Council right after the exam an reported it (left voicemail). Hopefully they can dig it out and fix it.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with all these books I'll probably never look at again.
  • Q80CrudQ80Crud Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sell em on ebay. or post em for sale here. That's how I got the ver7 courseware on the cheap.
  • root.Hak42root.Hak42 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello all, I have an inquiry.

Does the CEH iLEARN/iCLASS count as a official training method from EC Council and allow one to take the exam after completion or is it considered self study and requires one to apply to take the exam with sufficient work experience?

Thanks for your responses ahead of time.

root
    root.Hak42 wrote: »
    Hello all, I have an inquiry.

Does the CEH iLEARN/iCLASS count as a official training method from EC Council and allow one to take the exam after completion or is it considered self study and requires one to apply to take the exam with sufficient work experience?

Thanks for your responses ahead of time.

root

It's considered official training.
  • root.Hak42root.Hak42 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's considered official training.

Excellent! Thanks for the tip.

root
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Will using the CEH iLearn Self-Paced Online Security training qualify a person to take the CEH exam? I've been thinking about eventually taking the exam. I don't have the years needed to pursue the CISSP. I sent an e-mail to EC-Council and haven't heard back yet.