Domestic Preparedness Campus --- Texas A&M and FEMA

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
I know someone who is an Emergency Management Manager for a state county, and he pointed me to this online learning resource from FEMA and Texas A&M. I'm currently going through Information Security Basics course. So far it looks like pretty good stuff. It feels a lot like the Security+ only deeper. Once you complete the course you get a certificate. I think it will be some great review material and maybe I will learn something in the process :)

http://www.teexwmdcampus.com
DHS/FEMA Certified Cyber Security Training
      • Courses are offered at no cost
      • Earn a DHS/FEMA Certificate of Completion
      • Earn Continuing Education Units (CEU) upon course completion
10 Courses in 3 Discipline-Specific Tracks
      • Non-Technical for End-users
      • Technical for IT Professionals
      • Business Managers and Professionals
Courses are designed to enhance the confidentiality, availability, & integrity of IT systems powering our global economy

attachment.php?attachmentid=1215&stc=1&d=1314116596

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Actually, this class is feeling CCENT / Security+ material. Not bad at all.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is this free? I don't see prices listed anywhere.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Is this free? I don't see prices listed anywhere.

Yup, completely free! Well you did pay for it with your tax dollars icon_lol.gif
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yup, completely free! Well you did pay for it with your tax dollars icon_lol.gif

Guess I should have read your post. Who pays taxes anyway? jk IRS... don't audit me.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Guess I know more than I thought I did. icon_eek.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=1216&stc=1&d=1314126052
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for posting, will sign up
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□

Congrats. Plans to add it to your sig? :D
    Congrats. Plans to add it to your sig? :D

No, but I'm trying to figure out how to make it look impressive on LinkedIn icon_wink.gif
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know someone who is an Emergency Management Manager for a state county, and he pointed me to this online learning resource from FEMA and Texas A&M. I'm currently going through Information Security Basics course. So far it looks like pretty good stuff. It feels a lot like the Security+ only deeper. Once you complete the course you get a certificate. I think it will be some great review material and maybe I will learn something in the process :)

http://www.teexwmdcampus.com

attachment.php?attachmentid=1215&stc=1&d=1314116596

Could this certificate be a talking point at an interview?

Could you mention that you would like to give the employer a link for the end user security training, to help them train their workers? Could you mention this certificate in an interview? I saw there was an end user security course. I’m always trying to think of a way of giving myself an edge. I’m afraid to put this on my resume, because it might throw potential employers for a loop. I used to put my HDI cert on my resume, but then I got tired of giving a 2-5 minute speech of what HDI is , and what they did as an organization. Furthermore, I had to explain my cert and that since it wasn’t proctored, I wasn’t sure of the validity of the certification.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

attachment.php?attachmentid=1216&stc=1&d=1314126052

I just wanted to say that certificate looks sweet. I think it's the homeland security logo on the certificate, but it looks alot cooler than the comptia certficates. Thanks for sharing rep given.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor