Hi any computer forensic professional out there?

BRabbit_AliceBRabbit_Alice Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi! I am currently a student in BCIT's B.Tech in Forensic Investigation-Computer Crime option. I am now in my final year and I am so worry even with this degree won't help me landing on any jobs in the forensic field. My instructors recommended me to take the SANS courses but it's super expensive icon_sad.gif Do you guys have better recommendation? I guess what I am lacking right now is a certificate and experiences icon_sad.gif

Thanks!!!!

Comments

• computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    I would suggest speaking with JDMurray, he's the moderator for the InfoSec section of the forums. He might be able to point you in the right direction.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    BTW, welcome aboard.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    If you have, or can obtain, a security clearance, I know the FBI is doing a lot of hiring for their Regional Computer Forensics labs right now.

DC3 (www.dc3.mil), the DoD Computer Crimes Lab might be another place to look.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My degree is over there and eventual career, but my plan is to work on the IT side of things first. Easier to get into and it pays the bills while I build up a resume.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    yep i work sec for the court system

pm me your questions ill see if i can help
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • BRabbit_AliceBRabbit_Alice Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    If you have, or can obtain, a security clearance, I know the FBI is doing a lot of hiring for their Regional Computer Forensics labs right now.

DC3 (www.dc3.mil), the DoD Computer Crimes Lab might be another place to look.

But you have to be an American citizen to apply right? Do they take in Canadian too???
    yep i work sec for the court system

pm me your questions ill see if i can help

Hi Thanks!!! but just one question...how do you pm on this forum? I can't seem to find the link.....
    ohhh your new

ask away
    ohhh your new

ask away

Yes I am fresh new to the forum :) Btw my question is just like what i put in the first post, I am currently in my final year in BCIT's BTech Forensic Investigation Computer Crime option (just 3 more semesters to go for completing my grad project icon_cheers.gif), but now I am really worry that my degree won't be much of help to land me in any job in the forensic field because I am lacking experiences and a certificate. My instructors tell me it would be hard to get experience because most jobs in the field required 'experience'. I would be really appreciate if you can provide me some advice or recommendation!
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    But you have to be an American citizen to apply right? Do they take in Canadian too???

Sorry, Canadians are not allowed on TE. You understand icon_lol.gif
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661

Ahh didn't know you were Canadian. No that probably rules those out. I have no idea what Canadian government agiencies employ Computer Forensive professionals, so I'm afraid I'm of no help there.

I'm really not sure what if anything outside of government hires Computer Forensics people, as that has been my only exposure to it.
    Yes I am fresh new to the forum :) Btw my question is just like what i put in the first post, I am currently in my final year in BCIT's BTech Forensic Investigation Computer Crime option (just 3 more semesters to go for completing my grad project icon_cheers.gif), but now I am really worry that my degree won't be much of help to land me in any job in the forensic field because I am lacking experiences and a certificate. My instructors tell me it would be hard to get experience because most jobs in the field required 'experience'. I would be really appreciate if you can provide me some advice or recommendation!

i would suggest once you finish school get a resume together and drop it by defense and divorce lawyers, and be dirt cheap. that will get you experience in the legal aspect of the field

get certs no way around it

also make sure you are able to testify and dumb every thing down
    i would suggest once you finish school get a resume together and drop it by defense and divorce lawyers, and be dirt cheap. that will get you experience in the legal aspect of the field

get certs no way around it

also make sure you are able to testify and dumb every thing down

Do you need to have a law background for defense and divorce lawyers thou?
    you contract with the lawyers to do dirty work, install keyloggers, check chat logs of cheating husbands, pull quicken files with passwords ect ect
    you contract with the lawyers to do dirty work, install keyloggers, check chat logs of cheating husbands, pull quicken files with passwords ect ect

oic, sounds quite interesting thou lol
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Welcome to TE! You are just in time for the debut of our new GUI.

We are attempting to make TE a significant place for people to find information about computer (digital) forensics certifications. At TE we have information on CF certifications, GIAC certifications (which include CF), blog articles, and a nice CF thread here.

And as veritas_libertas mentioned, www.forensicfocus.com is a great site for collecting CF information form people who work in the field. The discussion forums there are worth reading from beginning to end.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

How do I get this job? Just start blasting resumes or can I find it via a job title?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Welcome to TE! You are just in time for the debut of our new GUI.

We are attempting to make TE a significant place for people to find information about computer (digital) forensics certifications. At TE we have information on CF certifications, GIAC certifications (which include CF), blog articles, and a nice CF thread here.

And as veritas_libertas mentioned, www.forensicfocus.com is a great site for collecting CF information form people who work in the field. The discussion forums there are worth reading from beginning to end.

Maybe time for a Forensics board here huh?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Maybe time for a Forensics board here huh?
    There's not really enough forensics cert discussions here on TE to need creating a separate discussion forum yet. If one day the CF activity picks up then we can justify it. For now, the Security Certifications forum will do for all CF cert discussions.
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    How do I get this job? Just start blasting resumes or can I find it via a job title?

lots and lots of cold calls and free work on unrelated things like fixing laptops with spyware