Options

Passed GCIH for DoD IA Technical level III

ITHokieITHokie Member Posts: 158 ■■■■□□□□□□
This was by far the most interesting and enjoyable experience I've had preparing for a certification. Passed with an 87.33% I don't currently have a true InfoSec job, but I was contractually obligated to be get an IAT III cert.

Most folks seem to chase the CISSP, and I started down that road. But after a few hours of VTE videos, I found the material (for a systems engineer) to be dry, and frankly, lame. It definitely doesn't fit my current role or career aspirations, so I decided to check out the other options. I'm very glad I did. SANS material is fantastic and I learned a ton.

As soon as I move into a more security-centric role, I look forward to starting on another SANS cert. It may not be as marketable as CISSP, but I'm not looking to get into management at the moment.

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on this achievement! I'm not quite ready to take that punch in wallet but it definitely sounds like it was worth it. Did you go OnDemand or to an actual conference?
  • Options
    ITHokieITHokie Member Posts: 158 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks, I went the OnDemand route. Hopefully, I'll get the chance to attend a conference next time around. Friends of mine that have attended a SANS conference speak very highly of the experience.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Congratz on your pass! icon_thumright.gif
    ITHokie wrote: »
    As soon as I move into a more security-centric role, I look forward to starting on another SANS cert. It may not be as marketable as CISSP, but I'm not looking to get into management at the moment.
    While that is true, the more well-known GIAC certs are very well represented in many job postings of significant InfoSec positions. And the high quality of the knowledge and learning experience of SANS courses is perhaphs the best in the InfoSec education industry.

If InfoSec is your business, the time, money, and effort you spend on SANS training and GIAC certifications is not wasted.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Prepping for the GCIH exam certainly gives you a feeling of what's we're up against. SANS 504 taught by Ed Skoudis is certainly a great class. Like you, I took it via OnDemand and still occasionally listen through the MP3s during my commute. The class throws a lot at you.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    the4tressthe4tress Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ITHokie,

I'm in the same boat. I was working on the CISSP but reading the 1,300 page Shon Harris book is just crazy. I took the CEH about a year ago and the GCIH looks very similar.

I'm in Kuwait (Arifjan) too. Were you able to access the online training alright? How much did the course teach compared to self study? I don't mind doing some self study, but for the price I would expect more.

Thanks.

- Ryan