Options

mcp, mcts, mcitp, mcm comparison

I'm a little confused on the new Microsoft certs.
Does anyone have like a comparasion chart on mcp, mcts, mcitp, mcm?
I did a few searches and I'm still puzzled.

thanks

super99

Comments

• Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Basically the MCP has been replaced by MCTS. MCTS = 1 Microsoft certification. You can have multiple MCTS certs and still only be a "MCTS".

MCITP = multiple MCTS certs in a certain category.
    Example: MCITP Server Administrator (MCITP:SA) is comprised of 70-640, 70-642 and 70-646.

MCM = Multiple MCITP's in a certain category.
    Example: MCM: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 is comprised of MCITP:EA and MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Did you look here: Certification Courses | Certification Training | Microsoft Certification ?

The graph provides a nice representation on how the certs stack against each other.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LucasMN wrote: »
    Basically the MCP has been replaced by MCTS. MCTS = 1 Microsoft certification. You can have multiple MCTS certs and still only be a "MCTS".

MCITP = multiple MCTS certs in a certain category.
    Example: MCITP Server Administrator (MCITP:SA) is comprised of 70-640, 70-642 and 70-646.

MCM = Multiple MCITP's in a certain category.
    Example: MCM: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 is comprised of MCITP:EA and MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010.
    MCM is its own certification that has the MCITPs as a prerequisit. It is not achieved simply by obtaining the MCITPs in question. Depending on the technology it requires hands on lab-based tests and knowledge based exams as well as (in some cases) a week long course in Redmond.

This is the CCIE of MS technologies.

MCP is both a designation achieved by passing one of a certain set of certification exams (70-270, 70-290 for example) and a general professional descriptor for all people who have achieved either the MCP designation or the MCTS designation. It's a little confusing. All MCTSes are "Microsoft Certified Professionals" in the general sense but they may not use the MCP designation nor can they use the logo unless they have passed one of the MCP era exams.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MCM is its own certification that has the MCITPs as a prerequisit. It is not achieved simply by obtaining the MCITPs in question. Depending on the technology it requires hands on lab-based tests and knowledge based exams as well as (in some cases) a week long course in Redmond.

This is the CCIE of MS technologies.

MCP is both a designation achieved by passing one of a certain set of certification exams (70-270, 70-290 for example) and a general professional descriptor for all people who have achieved either the MCP designation or the MCTS designation. It's a little confusing. All MCTSes are "Microsoft Certified Professionals" in the general sense but they may not use the MCP designation nor can they use the logo unless they have passed one of the MCP era exams.

Thanks for the great information.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MCA would be the CCIE of microsoft everything else is spot on.
  • Options
    fly2dwfly2dw Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GAngel wrote: »

Personally I would say the MCM is the Microsoft's accreditation, to what the CCIE is to Cisco. The Microsoft Certified Architect is the Microsoft's accreditation to what a Cisco Certified Architect is to Cisco (Both certs are architect level, which are the highest accreditations that you can achieve from both companies).

PS I am not comparing them in terms of difficulty, prestige, etc, or anything like that, just from an accreditation perspective.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    fly2dw wrote: »
    Personally I would say the MCM is the Microsoft's accreditation, to what the CCIE is to Cisco. The Microsoft Certified Architect is the Microsoft's accreditation to what a Cisco Certified Architect is to Cisco (Both certs are architect level, which are the highest accreditations that you can achieve from both companies).

PS I am not comparing them in terms of difficulty, prestige, etc, or anything like that, just from an accreditation perspective.

This was exactly my thinking. I also think that most people who are really strong players (the best of the MVPs for example) are getting MCMs; they are not getting MCAs. I think you see similar things with the CCIE.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GAngel wrote: »

MCM is the equivalent to CCIE... MCA is equivalent to Cisco's new CCA.

Everything in the new model maps up quite well with Cisco's model, surprisingly.
    Architect => MCA and CCA
    Expert => MCM and CCIE
    Professional => higher end MCITPs and CCNP (and others)
    Associate => MCTS and lower end MCITPs and CCNA
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro