I start my linux sys-admin class today

reppgoareppgoa Member Posts: 151
Hey all,

I am starting my Linux systems administrator class today with UMUC. I went over the syllabus and everything seems to be in order. By the end, I should be able to pass the linux+ and then in december I am going to do the RHCSA course (fast track) and hopefully get my cert.

I will try to keep you all posted on things I find and problems I run into. I will be using the LPIC-1 book along with testout labsim software and a bunch of practice tests I have come across. I plan to do most of my hands on using redhat (I got it from work) and possibly ubuntu.

Wish me luck!

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Good luck ! keep us updated icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Good luck ! keep us updated icon_thumright.gif

+1.

It is good to see more people going after RHCSA. Really makes me want it lol
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    +1.

It is good to see more people going after RHCSA. Really makes me want it lol

I'm just starting my trek down the *nix path with FreeBSD now. Probably will skip all the Linux entry level certs and jump right into RH if the mood strikes me.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm just starting my trek down the *nix path with FreeBSD now. Probably will skip all the Linux entry level certs and jump right into RH if the mood strikes me.

My thing is, though I want to be a nix/bsd beast, I don't work with them now and I wonder if doing the RHCSA would be "worth" it? I was going to take a stab at the BSDA cert but I didn't get a chance to go out to Ohio Linux Con. Do you work with nix/bsd professionally?
    My thing is, though I want to be a nix/bsd beast, I don't work with them now and I wonder if doing the RHCSA would be "worth" it? I was going to take a stab at the BSDA cert but I didn't get a chance to go out to Ohio Linux Con. Do you work with nix/bsd professionally?

RHCSA definitely worth it, some employers specifically ask for RH certs because they're lab based. It's a great help to get your foot in the door to get *NIX job.

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cool. Good luck with the class.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • reppgoareppgoa Member Posts: 151
    Long weekend of studying, about 8 hours a day. Working my way through Labsim software. I decided to make flash cards of every command and important directory as well as the command switches and what not. Didn't realize how many flash cards this is gonna be lol. I have covered 2 sections out of about 30 and I am already at like 125 flash cards O.o ....

One thing I am loving is putting things together that before I only knew bits and parts of through my own experimentation. Learning about RPM and DPKG was really enlightening for me.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    reppgoa wrote: »
    Hey all,

I am starting my Linux systems administrator class today with UMUC. I went over the syllabus and everything seems to be in order. By the end, I should be able to pass the linux+ and then in december I am going to do the RHCSA course (fast track) and hopefully get my cert.

I will try to keep you all posted on things I find and problems I run into. I will be using the LPIC-1 book along with testout labsim software and a bunch of practice tests I have come across. I plan to do most of my hands on using redhat (I got it from work) and possibly ubuntu.

Wish me luck!

Awesome! Keep us posted!

After I get done with Windows 7 I am moving onto Linux +. I love operating systems!
    so far so good, 100% in my class so far. I feel like the Linux+ is much more material than other + certs. I dont think I am going to be able to just cram for a weekend and walk in and take this. Its alot of information. The objectives for LX0-01 are pretty brutal. its a long list of stuff to learn. Again, I am really finding that the labsim software is the best tool for me personally. The concept of 1 video explaining something, the next video showing you how its done in practice, and then having you lab it out really works for me. The written portion is a good resource for the notecards I am making, well over 1000 now btw.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    One thing I am loving is putting things together that before I only knew bits and parts of through my own experimentation. Learning about RPM and DPKG was really enlightening for me.

I enjoyed learning this as well...did y'all get into alien? It's pretty nifty :)

I suppose it would have been nice to do a sys admin training course before starting my sys admin job, but I'm learning a lot on the job and getting paid at the same time so I guess it's not so bad icon_thumright.gif
    I already dissed the Windows 7 certification. I went through the book for about 2 weeks and Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The Linux + material is sooooooooo much more interesting. I actually enjoy it. It's not something I do everyday, but when I get some free time I open up the Bash shell and run some low level commands. So much more fun using CLI.
    so far so good, 100% in my class so far. I feel like the Linux+ is much more material than other + certs. I dont think I am going to be able to just cram for a weekend and walk in and take this. Its alot of information. The objectives for LX0-01 are pretty brutal. its a long list of stuff to learn. Again, I am really finding that the labsim software is the best tool for me personally. The concept of 1 video explaining something, the next video showing you how its done in practice, and then having you lab it out really works for me. The written portion is a good resource for the notecards I am making, well over 1000 now btw.

I never tried LabSim, but based on your review I think I'll give it a try icon_smile.gif

The more practical stuff you do, the easier the material will be. Fun time ! Good luck icon_thumright.gif

N2IT wrote: »
    I already dissed the Windows 7 certification. I went through the book for about 2 weeks and Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The Linux + material is sooooooooo much more interesting. I actually enjoy it. It's not something I do everyday, but when I get some free time I open up the Bash shell and run some low level commands. So much more fun using CLI.

Welcome on board icon_wink.gif

Read this for some more motivation:
    Which Unix Certification is the most needed these days? by Neo - I'm new to Unix. Which books should I read? - The UNIX and Linux Forums - system systems progress first

• EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Good luck with the class!

There was an RHCSA at my old job. I bugged him a lot trying to learn stuff from him. :P I had a couple CentOS servers that I was responsible for there.

No Linux at my new job, so I run it on a VM to try and keep my skills up. I do have several old Solaris systems that I deal with once a month for my Air National Guard duties. I've been using Unix/Linux since the mid 90's (all self taught), and feel like I never get past an "intermediate" level with it. I guess that's fine since I've made my career on Microsoft products.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am using Labsim and it is good.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Gosh reppgoa, if you are trying to put commands and their handles on index cards, it will be 1000's of cards icon_surprised.gif
    I am sure rpm and dpkg as topics of exploration can be fun, but have you tried poking around user and group rights and ownership? Over a file and over a directory? That's even more fun. Or GRUB...
    Good luck with your studies, and keep us posted.
    As per exam objectives of current L+ 101 exam, I am afraid there are some commands that date back to antiquity that you need to get familiar with.
    varelg wrote: »
    Gosh reppgoa, if you are trying to put commands and their handles on index cards, it will be 1000's of cards icon_surprised.gif
    I am sure rpm and dpkg as topics of exploration can be fun, but have you tried poking around user and group rights and ownership? Over a file and over a directory? That's even more fun. Or GRUB...
    Good luck with your studies, and keep us posted.
    As per exam objectives of current L+ 101 exam, I am afraid there are some commands that date back to antiquity that you need to get familiar with.

Yea, we are doing all of that stuff, I was more saying that I always used RPM and DPKG but never understood them really. Its cool to learn how something really works when you may have thought something different the entire time. It is already alot of notecards, but I have them in separate piles and I just take them with me when I ride the metro or something. I dont use them as much as I would like, but I find that they still help. Just writing them helps.

I dont think its burnout, but I have definitely slowed down lately. I slammed the trinity very quickly and I am just finding that it is hard to make time to do everything I need/want to do in 24 hours, and of course school is the first thing to slip. I like the blame it on the kick ass PC I just built for battlefield 3 and skyrim!!

Also have GSEC training coming up, so I will get some linux there as well. I just need to keep at it.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just wondering how the class is going for you? I plan on taking the UMUC online class that begins on the 24th. I don't have any Linux experience, so I got copies of Red Hat and the latest Linux. Before the class starts, I plan on reading Linux for Dummies so I can get my feet wet, since I don't have much Unix experience. My goal is similar to yours in that I want to get the LPIC-1/Linux+/Novell then move to Red Hat.
    Just wondering how the class is going for you? I plan on taking the UMUC online class that begins on the 24th. I don't have any Linux experience, so I got copies of Red Hat and the latest Linux. Before the class starts, I plan on reading Linux for Dummies so I can get my feet wet, since I don't have much Unix experience. My goal is similar to yours in that I want to get the LPIC-1/Linux+/Novell then move to Red Hat.

Yeah how is the class going?
    Class went well. I ended up getting a high B. I will admit that it was alot more work than I originally thought it would be. Its sooo much information and you have to memorize alot. I am going to need some more time to study before I go and take the actual exam. My plan is to study for the first test exclusively, take that, and then do the same for the second.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    The first test is harder than the second test IMHO...there is overlap between the two so you will see content from the first exam on the second.

That said, good luck on both of them! I'm looking at pursuing an RHCSA in the next few months...or an LPIC-2. The sys admin environment I work in is mainly linux (SLES 10/11), but my daily duties don't involve those off-the-wall commands with the oft used switches, so I read and try to learn everyday to keep my skills honed...but realistically I am at the beginning of my learning journey seeing as I picked linux up in late June and got my Linux+/LPIC-1 a month later icon_study.gif
    lsud00d wrote: »
    The first test is harder than the second test IMHO...there is overlap between the two so you will see content from the first exam on the second.

That said, good luck on both of them! I'm looking at pursuing an RHCSA in the next few months...or an LPIC-2. The sys admin environment I work in is mainly linux (SLES 10/11), but my daily duties don't involve those off-the-wall commands with the oft used switches, so I read and try to learn everyday to keep my skills honed...but realistically I am at the beginning of my learning journey seeing as I picked linux up in late June and got my Linux+/LPIC-1 a month later icon_study.gif

That gives guys like me hope! Just kidding I can't wait to I dive into this material and start to really get into the nuts and bolts of Unix/Linux. I already have Ubuntu on one laptop and RHEL 6 on another. I've been playing around with them quite a bit.

I can't wait to complete the PMP so I can start locking into the Linux + material.
  • jarebhjarebh Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    That gives guys like me hope! Just kidding I can't wait to I dive into this material and start to really get into the nuts and bolts of Unix/Linux. I already have Ubuntu on one laptop and RHEL 6 on another. I've been playing around with them quite a bit.

I can't wait to complete the PMP so I can start locking into the Linux + material.

So far N2IT the PMP was the hardest thing I've done. That test is challenging because it's not just memorization. It looks like you are off to a great start though with reading Rita's book. I actually downloaded the audio book and used to listen to it whenever I was cleaning or driving. That was probably the thing that prepared me the best.

As far as Linux+ goes I'm getting anxious to take the exam. I'm into my second course on Linux through my local Juco and it is the most fun I've had in a class in my life. Great instructor and interesting material.
    This is really good news ! what's your favorite topic ? What experience does your instructor have ? What's the most difficult topic so far ?
    jarebh wrote: »
    So far N2IT the PMP was the hardest thing I've done. That test is challenging because it's not just memorization. It looks like you are off to a great start though with reading Rita's book. I actually downloaded the audio book and used to listen to it whenever I was cleaning or driving. That was probably the thing that prepared me the best.

As far as Linux+ goes I'm getting anxious to take the exam. I'm into my second course on Linux through my local Juco and it is the most fun I've had in a class in my life. Great instructor and interesting material.

jarebh wrote: »

Thanks for responding. My goal is to take my time, but to keep at it. Everyday I study something pertaining to the PMP. Yesterday it was Human Resource Management. My plan is to go through the CBT nuggets first, then read Rita's book and the PMBOK.

I appreciate the study tips btw!
  • jarebhjarebh Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    This is really good news ! what's your favorite topic ? What experience does your instructor have ? What's the most difficult topic so far ?

I've just enjoyed learning all the ways I can work with the OS through the command line. Changing config files to more accurately do what I want is a great feeling. I'm not sure what experience my instructor has. She has been teaching a variety of Unix/Linux classes for a long time though. We have a test every class period and so that keeps the topics per test small enough that you don't feel like you have to cram too many commands into your brain at one time. I'd say the most difficult thing was trying to learn all the commands to use with vi editor. Not that it was that hard, but out of everything it's the worst so far. Everything else has been pretty easy.