Boson Simulator Error: Command Set failed to load

certmistercertmister Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been having this problem with the Boson Exsim that comes with the Odom book. It all works fine until you run a Simulator Question and then it throws out an error "Command set failed to load". The Simulator question loads but you can't run commands on the devices in the Question. I tried the instructions from Boson's Website for this Problem, 140 Error Command set failed to load - but it still aint working

Run as Administrator didn't work. I am not sure if .Net Framework 3.5 has been replaced since that webpage was written but I don't see it in Add/Remove. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit. All I see in Add/Remove is Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 and Microsoft .Net Framework 4 Client Profile. I tried to install .Net Framework 3.5 but it never loads, my guess is it has been replaced by 4 possibly. I ran the registry tool which unregisters fine but then I get an error when I use the Register tool:
Type library exporter warning processing 'BosonNetsimInterop.ProcessControl+_ProcessControl.StartProcess(windowStyle), BosonNetsimInterop'. Warning: Non COM visible value type 'System.Diagnostics.ProcessWindowStyle' is being referenced either from the type currently being exported or from one of its base types.
Assembly exported to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Boson Software\Boson Practice Tests\NetsimXv7\BosonNetsimInterop.tlb', and the type library was registered successfully

I uninstalled Exsim and re-installed it to no avail. Anything else I can try?

Comments

• MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    As per what the knowledge base states, with a problem like this. I would be inclined to open a support ticket. After I switched from XP 32-bit to a new laptop with Win 7 (x64). I had issues with Odom's test simulator too. Boson support were able to help resolve things. As techs we may not like asking for help ourselves. But sometimes it's the quickest and easiest fix :)
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Does their demo version work properly ? Is it the same base environment as the full version ?

I'll try to remember to install the one from the book when I get back home(10 hours)
    and give it a go. Will be on win 7 64 bit ultimate.

Have their demo one here on my work windows machine (win7 64 bit enterprise) and it
    CCNA Certification | Practice Exams & Training
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
    Just reinstalled the demo version - Bosun Exam Environment

It definitely needs administrator permissions to run (errors out otherwise)

Can confirm the simulator runs fine on windows 7 64 bit enterprise (on E8300 + 4GB ram)
    when run as administrator/local_admin
  • certmistercertmister Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MosGuy wrote: »
    As per what the knowledge base states, with a problem like this. I would be inclined to open a support ticket. After I switched from XP 32-bit to a new laptop with Win 7 (x64). I had issues with Odom's test simulator too. Boson support were able to help resolve things. As techs we may not like asking for help ourselves. But sometimes it's the quickest and easiest fix :)

I feel bad asking for support for a demo/free software. I tried to fill out the support form Yesterday but it is so old school to fill out their form that I gave up. I'll probably open a Ticket Today/Tomorrow. I posted the Problem here as I thought as most People here use Odom's Book and the Boson Software, that some would have seen this error themselves. I also thought it would help any other Techexam members if they had the same problem in the future.
    alxx wrote: »
    Does their demo version work properly ? Is it the same base environment as the full version ?

I'll try to remember to install the one from the book when I get back home(10 hours)
    and give it a go. Will be on win 7 64 bit ultimate.

Have their demo one here on my work windows machine (win7 64 bit enterprise) and it
    CCNA Certification | Practice Exams & Training

It's the version that comes with the Book not the Full Paid Version that I have been using. Thanks for putting the effort in to install and check if it ran for you. I ran everything as Administrator but it's just not working. Mosguy is probably right, I'll have to contact support. I don't know if I'll have time to or if I'll just forget about it and use my real lab because my second attempt at the ICND2 exam is Monday next. To top it off my 3640 Router is failing with a corrupt IOS right now, so instead of studying I'm stuck trying to fix all these problems.
    Both demo and book versions work fine for me.

Installed them for me to use, not just to test.
    I'm slowly working towards ccna but need to focus on my undergrad thesis/capstone, as its due in four weeks(and works also annoyingly busy)

Just wondering do you have the older c++ runtime (2008 ) installed as well as dot net versions ?
  • cisco_kiddcisco_kidd Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had the same problem, I just gave up and used my work computer (loaded with Windows XP), works like a champ now.
    cisco_kidd
    I had the same problem, I just gave up and used my work computer (loaded with Windows XP), works like a champ now.
    I installed it on My Macbook Air, on XP with Virtualbox and it works perfectly.
    alxx
    Both demo and book versions work fine for me.

Installed them for me to use, not just to test.
    I'm slowly working towards ccna but need to focus on my undergrad thesis/capstone, as its due in four weeks(and works also annoyingly busy)

Just wondering do you have the older c++ runtime (2008 ) installed as well as dot net versions ?

Yes, c++ 2008 is there and so is 2005 but it's working in Virtualbox for me now so I'm happy enough. More worried about ICND2 right now. I also managed to fix my 3640 Router - it was a faulty DRAM module. I'm glad I'm not in Uni anymore but best of luck with your Thesis.
  • techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
    alxx wrote: »
    Just reinstalled the demo version - Bosun Exam Environment

It definitely needs administrator permissions to run (errors out otherwise)

Can confirm the simulator runs fine on windows 7 64 bit enterprise (on E8300 + 4GB ram)
    when run as administrator/local_admin

Yep, I had that problem, the program runs fine if you right click the program and choose run as administrator. Its a permissions issue.
    (CCNP: Switch) Passed!
    (CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
    (CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
    (Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study: