Building a Lab

PD75PD75 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Im going to start studying for the 70-680 soon.

I plan to set up a lab of some sort. What would i need on it? I currently have Virtual PC running two computers with server 2003. Is this OK or do i need 2008?

I have windows 7 installed on my laptop.

Would this do or can someone recommend a set up?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    2008r2 is a must. download the trial from microsoft. also will need win7 pro at the least, if you dont have it download the win 7 trial of their enterprise edition. then get the dan poulton book and r ead and do labs
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • PD75PD75 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    2008r2 is a must. download the trial from microsoft. also will need win7 pro at the least, if you dont have it download the win 7 trial of their enterprise edition. then get the dan poulton book and r ead and do labs

Thanks for taking the time to reply and thanks for your advice
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    My lab I am using is one VM running 2008R2, and two VMs running win7, and one VM for winPE.
    Hi,

I downloaded the free trial of server 2008 R2 lastnight and tried to install it on VM Virtual Box.

However the download is 64 bit and i think Virtual box only supports 32 bit. Virtual box kept telling me the CPU couldn't suuport the operating system

Is there a 32 bit version of server 2008 anywhere?

One more question, why do i need server 2008 wehn im doing an Exam for Windows 7?

Thanks for any help
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    VirtualBox does support 64-bit processors. Either your processor does not support 64-bit or you have virtualization turned off off the BIOS. The exam touches on some areas related to Server 2008. One example would be Windows Deployment Services.

An no, there's no 2008 R2 32-bit version. Only the non-R2 Server 2008 was available at some point in 32-bit flavor.
    Virtual box supports 64bit,

2008R2 is 64 bit only

your cpu or your board doesnt support 64 bit.

might want to check with your board maker and see if there is a new bios out for 64 bit.... even my old dell 530 inspiron desktop is 64 bit capable after i flashed the bios with the latest release.

70-680 has a lot of server technologies in it because that is how you would deploy and manage the win 7 workstations in an enterprise environment. if you read the win7 books you would realize this. also pay real close attention to the deployment section.... everyone i have spoken with that has sat for the exam has said there are a lot of deployment related questions and/or sims....
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    VirtualBox does support 64-bit processors. Either your processor does not support 64-bit or you have virtualization turned off off the BIOS. The exam touches on some areas related to Server 2008. One example would be Windows Deployment Services.

OK my processor must not support it. Im running windows 7 on the virtual box so its not the BIOS thats causing the issue.

And as there is no 32 bit option then im at a loss as regards a sim.

I'll just read the books and look at videos etc regarding anything involving 2008
    cyberguypr wrote: »

An no, there's no 2008 R2 32-bit version. Only the non-R2 Server 2008 was available at some point in 32-bit flavor.

you typed faster than me...... anyway double what you said
    PD75 wrote: »
    OK my processor must not support it. Im running windows 7 on the virtual box so its not the BIOS thats causing the issue.

Is there a 32 bit server 2008 available anywhere? I googled but cant find anything except 64 bit

use this handy piece of software to verify if it is in fact your cpu

GRC | SecurAble: Determine Processor Security Features |  

GRC*|*SecurAble: Determine Processor Security Features*|**

Thanks for that. I'll try when i get home icon_smile.gif
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Host OS has to be 64 bit. You could have a 64 bit CPU that supports virtualization (most CPUs made within the last 3 to 5 years do), but if you're running 32-bit Windows 7 as your host OS, you won't be able to run 64 bit guests in either VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    True. OP: tell us what you have, OS and hardware.
    Hi,

My laptop is running 32 bit Windows 7 Home Premium

CPU is 2.10 gigahertz AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core
    64-bit ready

So the host OS is 32 bit and thats my problem then.

GRC | SecurAble: Determine Processor Security Features |

Results returned YES for all three
    switch to 64 bit and you will be good to go!

if you don't have the 64 bit disc here is a link to the microsoft iso (direct from an ms provider) for your OS. you would just reuse your legal windows 7 key. for the 64 bit install.

http://techdows.com/2011/07/download-windows-7-integrated-with-sp1-iso-official-direct-download-links.html
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    If you are a student at a registered college don't forget you can download full versions of some ms products
    from dreamspark.com server 2008 , all dev tools

also if your college is part of the msdn program , you may be able to get other software for free
    ( windows 7 , offfice , visio, project)
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Everyone wrote: »
    Host OS has to be 64 bit. You could have a 64 bit CPU that supports virtualization (most CPUs made within the last 3 to 5 years do), but if you're running 32-bit Windows 7 as your host OS, you won't be able to run 64 bit guests in either VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation.

I have a 32-bit Win7 Enterprise workstation running Virtual Box. 2 DCs running Server 2008 R2.
  • dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I have a 32-bit Win7 Enterprise workstation running Virtual Box. 2 DCs running Server 2008 R2.

Same here, took me about three weeks to figure out my CPU was faulty icon_twisted.gif
    Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]
    switch to 64 bit and you will be good to go!

if you don't have the 64 bit disc here is a link to the microsoft iso (direct from an ms provider) for your OS. you would just reuse your legal windows 7 key. for the 64 bit install.

Download Windows 7 Integrated With SP1 ISO – Official Direct Download Links

Thanks! is this an upgrade (keep my software, data etc intact) or a clean install?
    i would give you the answer, but I am actually going to recommend you read one of the win7 books or at least the technet articles from MS. it will explain how to do the port of data and keep settings etc....
  • ForeverIT27ForeverIT27 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Where can I download Server 2008 R2 trial version? a link would very much appreciated.

Cheers
    microsoft.com then hit search.... or just google. 2008r2 trial verision and get the one from microsoft/digital river

took me 2 seconds to find it using google and the keywords 2008r2 trial .... was the 1st result on the list....

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-server/2008-r2-trial.aspx