Pentium 3... really?

UndyUndy Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I go to sit for the TSHOOT exam today and they sit me behind a pentium 3 with 512MB of ram. Apparently this is not enough to run the TSHOOT sim so 4 hours of my life just wasted waiting for them to try and fix the issue, type up an incident, driving, calling peason, etc.

Pearson didn't seem to care much. No TSHOOT today I guess.

Comments

• SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    That's sad.

I was afraid of the same thing. I actually moved my exam from one location to another over fear of slow computers and small screens.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Damn too bad. Most of the test centers I've been to had crap equipment too. Better luck next time!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • cisco_kiddcisco_kidd Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had a friend take her TSHOOT and apparently it crashed at the end during grading at a New Horizons testing facility. The computers were dated, seems to be a common problem with the new exams with more in depth sims.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My biggest complaint is the resolution of the monitors. It really tests your ability to manage windows on the screen. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    no kidding! All the monitors I've seen are 15in, and when you have to look at the topology, multiple console sessions, plus the original question, it gets messy quickly.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I think its rather ridiculous that these testing facilities are not keeping their testing equipment up to date. It's stressful enough going into a tough exam, only to find computer issues as well. This happened to me when I took my CCNA Security test. It was a horrible nightmare that resulted in me still taking the exam and failing. I don't fault them for me failing, but the massive wait to take the exam because they're a terrible testing facility did screw with my Chi.
    Even my work laptop with only a Gig of RAM can run the Boson practice simulator for the TSHOOT and it is a piece of crap. Damn!
    Someone at one of the testing facilities told me they get $5 for every test they give.
    No wonder they hold onto obsolete computers.
    icon_lol.gif
  • cuuloco10cuuloco10 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

I heard the similar stories in regards to the $ 5 dollar profit per student -
  • billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    As of 1st August 2011, it has been a requirement of the Pearson Vue test site operating agreement that client machines should have dual core processors and 2 gigs of ram at a minimum. Monitors should also be 17" or larger. I'd lodge another complaint.
  • cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    pham0329 wrote: »
    no kidding! All the monitors I've seen are 15in, and when you have to look at the topology, multiple console sessions, plus the original question, it gets messy quickly.

This is very true. I took the TSHOOT to recertify on my professional level certs and found the exam challenging simply because there was so much to handle on that 15 inch screen. You have the console sessions, Layer 3 and 2 topologies, scenario, etc all on that screen. The problems themselves were relatively simple, but these limitations made it more difficult than it really had to be.
  • UndyUndy Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took my bsci on the same machine a few years back and I remember when I was there was like a (no lie) 5 minute delay while I waited to see if I passed when the test was over. The anxiety was high listening to the clunky hard drive spin. I mean I can understand throwing some old computers in there, but i have thrown away better machines than that. Oh well.. I found another place a bit further away that is open on Saturdays.
  • rjirji Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I do get the impression that these test centres don't care too much, which isn't a huge suprise if they are paid very little per student. The cisco exam I took this week cost more than any other exam I've taken, total £170 inc VAT. You would think that the manufacturers would give a bigger piece of the slice to the centres. Unfortunately this is actually the only test centre nearest me that has regular slots to take exams....and it is in a different country to where I live!.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    Someone at one of the testing facilities told me they get $5 for every test they give.
    No wonder they hold onto obsolete computers.
    icon_lol.gif

Yeah, the testing centers don't make much off the exams. That's why almost every testing center you run across doubles as a training facility. I suppose it may vary per testing center, the guy who runs my local one told me they make 20 bucks off a 150 cisco exam.

However, my testing facility doubles as a audio and video editing training shop, and they use the same computers for training that they do for testing, so they have some really nice equipment
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I've seen testing centers running old Dell Optiplex GX 240..

Back when I took the BSCI test the testing PC hung during the test and by the time they got it going on the another testing PC I had 15 minutes left, since the timer never stopped icon_sad.gif

Needless to say it cost me the exam at the time.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Pretty clever test by Cisco. The real test was getting the computer working, not taking the exam. They throw all kinds of curve balls at you!
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I guess we're not going to see a testing provider offering testing center exam software that runs via thin clients on Linux-based VMs running in XenServer anytime soon. The software is free, but the hardware is too darn expensive for most test centers.

The testing center I go it is part of a community college, so the equipment is fairly modern, but there are only 8-10 testing stations. It gets quite crowded during the week, so I take my exams on Saturday mornings when the schedule is usually open.
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    I've noticed that usually the "ghetto/poor" towns have crappy PCs for their testing centers. If you take the exam in a "good/middle-rich town", the PCs are always alot faster and better. I guess it also depends where you live too.
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It probably has more to do with the company that's offering exam testing as a service. A testing service isn't a profit center for a business, so to save money they figure it can be furnished using a bunch of older PCs they were going to throw out anyway. The problem is businesses not understanding the need for operational integrity in their testing center--both technological and human.
    Found a place with up to date computers and passed tshoot. Anyone else think tshoot was too easy?
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Undy wrote: »
    Anyone else think tshoot was too easy?

Easy if you know what you're doing.
  • apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I was taking my Microsoft MCSE 2003 certs back in 2008, I had to take the 70-294 3 times because the simulation didnt work. I could launch the simulation but once in the Windows screen, nothing worked. No start menu, no desktop icons, etc.

The first time I took the exam, I failed with a 655 (passing score 700) the second time I failed with a 670. Both times had 2 simulations on it.

Both times prometric refunded me the exam fee and allowed me to reschedule (and the score wasnt reported to Microsoft). The first time I chalked it up to a fluke, the second time, the customer service rep and I had some words over the equipment as I was on a deadline to get my MCSE finished and they wanted me to go to a different testing center (a tier 1 testing center vs the tier 2 I was at) that didnt have any appointments for 3 weeks. This after I had already been delayed by 2 weeks due to the 1st time failed.

In the end, I went to the tier 1 testing center, both simulations worked and I passed the exam with an 810.

Thankfully, I havent had any issues since (knock on wood) and Ive since taken at least 2 dozen exams at prometric/pearson testing centers. I think the key though is to find one that you know works and stick with it. There are several testing centers in my area but I will choose to wait for an opening at the testing center I usually go to over taking an opening at a testing center I havent been to.

Thankfully, I havent had a situation where my testing center has been booked up for weeks in advance. Usually the longest wait I have is about 2 weeks which suits me just fine since I tend to try and schedule two weeks ahead of my planned study completion date (to motivate me to finish).

As an added benefit, the employees at my testing center know me now so while they still go through all the legal stuff and obviously keep an eye on me during the exam, they also allow me a little leeway. I showed up about 10 minutes late to one of my exams and the staff was totally cool with it and when I show up early, they usually seat me right away. Much better than the experience I had at another test center where I walked in the door on time but since I wasnt there early enough for them to sign me in by my start time, they refused to seat me. When I did finally take the exam, it took me 20 minutes to complete the 90 minute WGU math exam.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
    apr911 wrote: »
    I think the key though is to find one that you know works and stick with it.

Yeah, I totally agree. It just stinks that the testing center 5 miles from me has P3's and the one 45 miles away has something newer and working. :)