Options

Inevitable paycut

okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
I thought TE would be a good place to post this, so here it is. To make a short story even shorter...I started as an intern Feb of last year doing NOC work. This was also my senior year of college. I graduated in December '10 and the internship ended. I was making roughly 37k. A little luck, and I landed some contract work (through staffing agency) at the same place, different department. Went from 37k to 85k over a weekend, literally.

Now, 85k was more than I ever imagined making straight out of college. I got the position due to networking during my internship and not based on technical skills alone. I still am under-qualified for the position, but I try my best and am very likable which is why I've lasted the entire year and can still stay a little longer. So, my total IT experience comes in at around 20 months and I have a CCNA and BS in IT.

As with all contract work, it must come to an end! So, during my current job search, I am realizing that making close to 85k seems highly unlikely with my background and experience. Now, I've taken a pay cut before, but it was not more than 10k. In this situation however, it's looking like I'm going to be taking a significant pay cut.

With that being said, I'm just posting this to see if anyone has gone through anything similar and how things turned out? Also, if you were in my position, how much of a pay cut would you be willing to take?

Comments

• Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Think of it this way..you were very lucky to get such a great paying job right after college. Now after the contract ends, back to reality. Just because you made 85K doesnt mean you deserve the salary for the rest of your life. Take it as just work experience and move on to your next job, and be realistic about how much you should make with a degree, CCNA, and 20 months of experience.

I
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i havent been in that experiance but also have never earned that much. Hopefully you've saved some cash for the transition period.

One thing i would say, just be prepared to live within your means. Dont over spend otherwise you will regret it.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Hell I'd kill for 85K a year with 20 months of experience. I have 6 years and not making that much.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Look for other contract positions. A similar position and similar pay is probably possible. If you are looking for a full-time/permanent position you need to factor in the value of the benefits you will get compared to the contract.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Under two years of experience and a CCNA? Be happy to get in the 40s. Obviously we can't all know each others' regions' markets, but I can't imagine you'll top $50K at a permanent full-time position. Maybe in a year or so, though, if both your networking skills and your, well, networking skills are good.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    Think of it this way..you were very lucky to get such a great paying job right after college. Now after the contract ends, back to reality. Just because you made 85K doesnt mean you deserve the salary for the rest of your life. Take it as just work experience and move on to your next job, and be realistic about how much you should make with a degree, CCNA, and 20 months of experience.

I

Good advice, but it's hard to have that mindset once you've been earning the salary.

Nel wrote:
    i havent been in that experiance but also have never earned that much. Hopefully you've saved some cash for the transition period.

Always save for a rainy day icon_wink.gif
    drkat wrote:
    Hell I'd kill for 85K a year with 20 months of experience. I have 6 years and not making that much.

I only had 10 months when I was hired, but yeah I really got lucky. No telling how long it will take me to get back to 85k.
    Look for other contract positions. A similar position and similar pay is probably possible. If you are looking for a full-time/permanent position you need to factor in the value of the benefits you will get compared to the contract.

I've thought of looking for other contract positions, but I have my reservations. I have yet to try to work somewhere permanent and 'work my way up the ladder'. Contract positions do pay good, but there is little stability. Not sure if I want 10 years of 6 month contracts. And you are absolutely right about the benefits. It really sucks not having PTO, sick days, etc. I've taken minimal days off this year since I don't get paid. Not to mention I have to pay for medical, dental, etc outright which is costly. I guess you just get use to a salary and don't want to give it up, but I have to get to reality. I think I'm going to look in the 40-50k range. Hope it works out.