Options

What are the job descrptions or diff between jobs of CCNA , CCNP

mirror51mirror51 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just wanted to know that what is the diff between job descriptions of various Certs.

I mean if i work as CCNA in company. what will be my tasks in a company.
IF CCNP then what will be the tasks and if CCIE then what thing differs from job point of view.

Because they have one CCIE do they need lower level CCNPs or CCNA.

or If they have CCNP guy why would they hire any CCNA becasue that job can be done by CCNP.

Comments

• Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why would you pay the extra money for another CCNP if it was a job that a CCNA could handle and you already have enough CCNPs to handle the more complex tasks. You would be waisting money if you payed someone a CCNP salary to do a CCNA job.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I think it really doesn't really matter. I've had a job where we had no certifed people, CCNA-CCIE and we all pretty much did the same type of work as in building out new sites. The higher level guys did more complex work, but even the Jr guys got in on it once they established themselves.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    W Stewart wrote: »
    Why would you pay the extra money for another CCNP if it was a job that a CCNA could handle and you already have enough CCNPs to handle the more complex tasks. You would be waisting money if you payed someone a CCNP salary to do a CCNA job.

Certs != Salary. Experience+Certs+Luck+Environment=Salary If your CCNP only has CCNA experience then your CCNP should expect "CCNA salary" (whatever that means). There are probably a lot of CCNAs who make more than some CCNPs (and maybe CCIEs).
  • Options
    mirror51mirror51 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks guys but can anyone please explain little bit what type of work dooes ccna include and what type of work ccnp level include. i have only seen diff from cert point of view but not from real world work environment
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    mirror51 wrote: »
    thanks guys but can anyone please explain little bit what type of work dooes ccna include and what type of work ccnp level include. i have only seen diff from cert point of view but not from real world work environment

It doesn't work that way. You don't have a set job role just because you have a certification. Its going to vary vastly from company to company anyway. Look at some job descriptions on the job boards and you can get some kind of idea, but keep in mind those things are usually exagerated.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    Todays market is just really all over the place. Certifications are really just a filtration process now. Now, dont get me wrong, some job's require CCIE or some level of cert, but honestly, from what i have noticed, its a filter now for the initial contact from an outbound search via employer or recruiter.

Now, experience outweighs cert's all day any day. Employers are looking for a little bit of everything, unless its a very specific role, like NEED TECH TO UPGRADE ALL CUCM's on site etc.. a lot of jobs want a well rounded tech/engineer with hands on, certs, and exposed to enterprise / noc systems. Firewalls, Servers, RS, Voice, Wireless, SAN's, and people skills.

Nobody is a 100% fit or , its rare to find an exact match.

As others said, look at the posting, see if you are up to it.. if you can talk the talk, walk the walk, then apply and see if you get a hit back. At the end of the day, its all about EVERYTHING.. certs, degree, experience, social skills, mgnt skills, etc.

I can tell you this.. All of our Level 3 VOIP engineers in the US do not have a CCVP lol. I dont want to open up this topic, but its just food for thought.