Why 25xx router's ethernet module uses AUI port, not RJ45?

johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
Now I have to pay extra dollars to find a AUI cable to convert it to RJ45...

Comments

• NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You can read about the history of the connector here

Attachment Unit Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2500's are old equipment that use 1990's connector technology but the IOS can be updated to use 12.3 so they remain popular as starter lab equipment.

If you want help here, ask about equipment before you buy it.

Anyhow, good luck with your lab.

:)
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They make an adapter that attached directly to the AUI port to convert it to RJ45 so you won't have to find a funky cable if you can find the converter. I might even have a couple. Let me know if you have trouble and I'll try to look around, but I haven't seen that stuff in a while so I don't know if I still have it or if I can even find it.
  • johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
    They make an adapter that attached directly to the AUI port to convert it to RJ45 so you won't have to find a funky cable if you can find the converter. I might even have a couple. Let me know if you have trouble and I'll try to look around, but I haven't seen that stuff in a while so I don't know if I still have it or if I can even find it.

Hi Trooper,
    There is no converter with this old 25xx router I bought. I found several on ebay, but they priced even more expensive than the router. Crazy... Appreciate a million if you could look around...
  • johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
    Netwurk wrote: »
    You can read about the history of the connector here

Attachment Unit Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2500's are old equipment that use 1990's connector technology but the IOS can be updated to use 12.3 so they remain popular as starter lab equipment.

If you want help here, ask about equipment before you buy it.

Anyhow, good luck with your lab.

:)

Sigh. The problem is I don't even know what to ask before I put my hands on the real stuff. As trooper hinted, 25xx routers should be sold with converter. Who knows...
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□