Passed Network+ today

charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
Wasn't the score I wanted. 775/900. Ideally, I would have like it in the low-mid 800's. But happy with the pass. My next steps would be going for the Server+ and Security+ before I close the book on entry level certifications.

Comments

• DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations. As they say, a pass is a pass. Best of luck on the Server+ and Security+ certs.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog
    Security+/Network+ Daily Tips
  • oluckykeoluckyke Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congradulations I'm taking my Net + in Feb 2012, any pointers?
  • charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There is one surprise in the exam. I thought there would be at least a few subnetting questions. I don't think I got any. There was one simple /CIDR question, that was it. No calculations was needed. I wasn't even provided with a whiteboard and marker, which they do for some places. The content was pretty straight forward. There were questions on network topologies, cable types, connectors, LAN/WAN, a bunch of OSI model questions There will give you a scenario, and you have to tell them which layer of OSI model it is part of. So do know your OSI model very well and the type of applications associated with it. There were a few questions on escalation issues as well as security. Mostly stuff with the IDS/IPS, network/host base firewall, that kinda thing. What I think I messed up on is the Circuit/Packet Switching questions. You might want to look over stuff like Frame Relay, POTS, ISDN, X.25, T1/T3. They did ask a bunch of questions on those, where they ask me to identify the type of connections and different speeds. I didn't realize at that time ISDN can actually be both packet switching and circuit switching, and I ended up choosing ATM, which uses PVC/SVC. There wasn't any questions on binary math , or any questions where you have to actually do calculations. So perhaps you do not have to focus on it. Don't take me 100% on it, but the fact I wasn't given calculator or white board to do calculation, I guess calculation questions aren't required.

There was also a tricky question if you haven't really memorize, you would not know. You gotta pick the right order/color for TIA/EIA 568A/B.

Another hard part on the exam might be the MDF/IDF stuff. You might wanna study a bit on that. Things with Horizontal cross connect, vertical cross connect, that kinda of a thing.
    Smart Jacks, Wire Crimper, Snips, Punchdown tool were all thrown at me on the exam.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    charlesc09 wrote: »
    There is one surprise in the exam. I thought there would be at least a few subnetting questions. I don't think I got any. There was one simple /CIDR question, that was it. No calculations was needed. I wasn't even provided with a whiteboard and marker, which they do for some places. The content was pretty straight forward. There were questions on network topologies, cable types, connectors, LAN/WAN, a bunch of OSI model questions There will give you a scenario, and you have to tell them which layer of OSI model it is part of. So do know your OSI model very well and the type of applications associated with it. There were a few questions on escalation issues as well as security. Mostly stuff with the IDS/IPS, network/host base firewall, that kinda thing. What I think I messed up on is the Circuit/Packet Switching questions. You might want to look over stuff like Frame Relay, POTS, ISDN, X.25, T1/T3. They did ask a bunch of questions on those, where they ask me to identify the type of connections and different speeds. I didn't realize at that time ISDN can actually be both packet switching and circuit switching, and I ended up choosing ATM, which uses PVC/SVC. There wasn't any questions on binary math , or any questions where you have to actually do calculations. So perhaps you do not have to focus on it. Don't take me 100% on it, but the fact I wasn't given calculator or white board to do calculation, I guess calculation questions aren't required.

There was also a tricky question if you haven't really memorize, you would not know. You gotta pick the right order/color for TIA/EIA 568A/B.

Another hard part on the exam might be the MDF/IDF stuff. You might wanna study a bit on that. Things with Horizontal cross connect, vertical cross connect, that kinda of a thing.
    Smart Jacks, Wire Crimper, Snips, Punchdown tool were all thrown at me on the exam.

Great post and tips. Thanks for taking the time.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog
  • LenniusceLenniusce Member Posts: 114 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From every single post i've read about the Net+ exam, there are ABSOLUTELY NO AND NEVER WILL BE ANY subnetting questions. Is this true? Can we lay to rest that subnetting is not covered on the net+?
    In Progress: CCNA:DEVNET or CISSP Done: PMP | A+ | N+ | S+ | L+ | P+ | MCSA 2016 | CCNA | CCNA:S(exp) | LPIC1(exp) | MBA IT Management | MS Information Systems
    Lenniusce wrote: »
    From every single post i've read about the Net+ exam, there are ABSOLUTELY NO AND NEVER WILL BE ANY subnetting questions. Is this true? Can we lay to rest that subnetting is not covered on the net+?

That isn't my experience. In the N10-005 objectives, under 1.3, one of the bulleted items is "Subnetting" and the same bullet is under 1.4 in the N10-004 objectives. Further, based on conversations and interaction with test takers, I know some people have had subnetting questions. These aren't heavy subnetting questions like you'll see on other certification exams (such as the CCNA you're pursuing), but to get them correct, you have to undestand the subnetting basics. I've never heard of anyone having many subnetting questions, but instead only one or two.

As an example, what's wrong with this picture?
    IP address: 10.10.1.50/27
    Default gateway: 10.10.1.65
    DNS: 10.10.5.10

Can you pass without studying subnetting? Probably, but it's valuable knowledge for administrators working on the job. As a matter of fact, I rememer a specific example where one technician manually configured an IP address similar to the example causing communications problems and the tech that resolved it was only able to do so because of his knowledge of subnetting.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog
    From what I read in the books. They say they expect you to know subnetting for the Network+ exam. Maybe I was just lucky not to get any. But if I had some, they prob need to provide me something to write on. Not sure if people do subnetting off their head, but at least not for me.
  • gr3g0reegr3g0ree Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Was it the "old" N-04 or the new N-05 exam that u took?
    N10-004. I wouldn't mind taking N10-005, just that when I bought the books in October, the curriculum was still N10-004, so it only make logical sense I took the 004
  • rpenrirpenri Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. Took mine today, too. Scored a 795 out of 900...
    Port numbers messed me up...could NOT remember them for anything. Only thing I could remember during the test was http:80 and ftp:20,21...took the N10-004.
    rpenri wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass. Took mine today, too. Scored a 795 out of 900...
    Port numbers messed me up...could NOT remember them for anything. Only thing I could remember during the test was http:80 and ftp:20,21...took the N10-004.

Congrats on the pass. Good luck on your next adventure.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Blog