Good book for RHCSA

azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
I'm planning on taking the RHCSA exam in May and wanted to pick up a book to help fill in the gaps. I am going through the Red Hat academy at my local CC and will finish the courses at the end of May. My instructor offers the exam at the end of this semester for students to take the RHCSA at a discounted price, $200-$250. Can't really beat that.

I picked up:
Amazon.com: RHCSA/RHCE Red Hat Linux Certification Study Guide (Exams EX200 & EX300), 6th Edition (Certification Press) (9780071765657): Michael Jang: Books
and this one is on it's way
Amazon.com: Hands-on Guide to the Red Hat® Exams: RHCSA™ and RHCE® Cert Guide and Lab Manual (Certification Guide) (9780321767950): Damian Tommasino: Books (have to support other TE members)

I have a decent lab setup and am now the go to guy for Linux in the office. Aside from what is available through documentation any other recommendations?
Currently Studying:
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)

Comments

• luisvidalluisvidal Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□

I think you are going to do fine with what you have right now. Best thing for it, is the hands on you are getting at work, and that you can practice in your lab.
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks for your input and welcome to Techexams ;)
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Those resources should be more than sufficient.

Real world experience however beats both books hands down. If you are an experienced Linux Admin with 2-3 years of experience the RHCSA shouldn't be too difficult for you.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • ritamshomeritamshome Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    These are good books! Also am not so good in linux but still would like to suggest that you go ahead and look for Linux Cbts. or Linux videos as well to get a more all rounded perspective on the various commands and simulate them heavily in a test bed environ. No other way to learn better. Tons of videos are available and the more flavours you know of unix the better!

Cheers,
    Ritamshome.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Those books are definitely good enough.
  • AceRimmerAceRimmer Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd also like to recommend Asghar Ghori's book:
    Red Hat® Certified Technician & Engineer (RHCT and RHCE) Training Guide and Administrator's Reference
    and:
    Hacking Red Hat Enterprise Linux (by Paul Ammann)

Both from Amazon.
    Second one covers more advanced topics. I've used it so far to setup OpenLDAP server with TLS and separate CA server. Not the stuff you would find in any other cert-prep book.
  • AceRimmerAceRimmer Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    luisvidal wrote: »
    I think you are going to do fine with what you have right now. Best thing for it, is the hands on you are getting at work, and that you can practice in your lab.

Using KVM virtualization for lab is great way to cover one of the topics :)
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    AceRimmer wrote: »
    Using KVM virtualization for lab is great way to cover one of the topics :)

I may have to leave this topic to the lab in my class. I'm writing test questions for a upcoming vmware book and need my VM lab for screen shots and scenario questions.
    Currently Studying:
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've been looking for some good books and resources on Red Hat Linux although I may not be taking the exam anytime soon. However, I want to brush up my Linux skills and these seem like a great place to start. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63