Question about expiry

charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
Don't know if anyone knows. I just found out recently after passing Network+, it has also extend the expiry date of A+.
More than likely if I get Security+, it'll extend both A+ and Network+ I assume.

If i happen to let them expire, all 3 certs. And retake security+, would it still renew the previous expire certs? Or do I have to make sure I retake a security exam every 3 years to extend them? I know you could do CEU, but I'm thinking retaking security every 3 years is more time efficient.

I just want to know if I would need to retake security cert exam before expiry date, or it would automatically renew it, as long as you have pass A+ and Network+ before, regardless if it has expire before.

Sorry, I know its kinda poorly worded. I hope some of you get what I mean, or I'll try to explain a bit better.

Thanks!

Comments

• charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have called up CompTIA about this issue. Took a while. It is a complicated question. But they told me, if I happen for example to let A+, Network+, and Security+ expire. That does not mean I need to retake all 3 exams again. All I have to do is, re-enroll in the Continuing Education Program, which is like 49 bucks a year. If I choose not to earn the credits by the way of blogging, attending seminars etc, I could just take the highest level cert and re-pass it, it will automatically renew A+ and Network+.

So basically, I will never have to retake A+ or Network+ again, as long as I re-up the highest level cert, expire or not expired. Just gotta make sure you enroll or re-enroll in the CEU program, and take the highest level cert.
  • whyyoumadwhyyoumad Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If this is true, then this is great news. Security+ was easier than A+ to me, I haven't taken Network+ yet but I'm studying it at the moment. Saves money too
    whyyoumad wrote: »
    If this is true, then this is great news. Security+ was easier than A+ to me, I haven't taken Network+ yet but I'm studying it at the moment. Saves money too

How is Security? I am actually doing it now after passing Network+. Seems like you are doing the reverse of me.

You actually save money more by earning just pure credits, but I really don't have time to deal with their requirements. I rather just retake the highest cert every 3 years to re-up. But I'm glad to hear even if it expires, I can also re-enroll in that program and re-up all the certs by passing just 1 exam
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    charlesc09 wrote: »
    I have called up CompTIA about this issue. Took a while. It is a complicated question. But they told me, if I happen for example to let A+, Network+, and Security+ expire. That does not mean I need to retake all 3 exams again. All I have to do is, re-enroll in the Continuing Education Program, which is like 49 bucks a year. If I choose not to earn the credits by the way of blogging, attending seminars etc, I could just take the highest level cert and re-pass it, it will automatically renew A+ and Network+.

So basically, I will never have to retake A+ or Network+ again, as long as I re-up the highest level cert, expire or not expired. Just gotta make sure you enroll or re-enroll in the CEU program, and take the highest level cert.

This is not entirely accurate according to CompTIA's page.

As I explained to you yesterday, if you take the highest exam in the CE track, then all of the lower ones get reuped too. That is accurate. HOWEVER....

If you are enrolled in the CE program, and you do not get the CEUs within the three years you're alloted, then your certs expire and you do in fact have to retake the exams again.

It's all in CompTIA's FAQ that I had shown you yesterday.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/73189-comptia-certifications.html#post593423
    that's not what the CompTIA employee told me. I specifically ask that question. It was a female agent, she told me, I can always re-enroll in that CEU program if indeed they expire. I ask her specifically will I have to retake all 3 exams again if I let all 3 expire, she said no. You just have to make sure you re-enroll the CEU and obtain the require credits. and it will extend another 3 years.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think that's great that you will take the word of a CSR and not do your own research. (Yes, that was sarcastic. :) )

However, to help a person that might actually read, the following below is why I came to my earlier conclusion. No disrespect is intended to the CompTIA CSR, but until what's she saying jives with what's CURRENT COMPTIA POLICY, I'm gonna stick to what's on paper. Personally, I'm a "certified for life" guy...with no intention of signing up for the CE program. I know many of my fellow techs who take the CompTIA A+, Network+ and Security+ and NOW the CASP will have to consider the CE program, such as yourself. Many have to do the CE program for the (US) DoD 8570 requirements. But my point (based on the written policy) stands: if you are in the CE program, and you fail to achieve the required CEUs the first time you enroll in the program, then your certs expire. If you are a "Certified for Life" person with the first three CompTIA certs, and you fail to achieve the CEUs in the required time (three years), then you are still lifetime. HOWEVER, if you have to do CE, you now have to TAKE THE EXAMS!

What happens if the program requirements aren’t met on or before the CE program expiration date?
    • There are no refunds of any previously collected fees.
    • No units will carry over from one CE program cycle to another.
    If the certification held is a CE version (has an expiration date of 3 years from the date certified) it will
    expire. The only way to participate in CE going forward would be to take and pass the current version of the
    exam(s) needed to earn the certification again.
    If the certification held is considered “certified for life” (was earned on or before 12/31/10) it will remain as
    is. The only way to participate in CE going forward would be to take and pass the current version of the

erpadmin wrote: »
    I think that's great that you will take the word of a CSR and not do your own research. (Yes, that was sarcastic. :) )

However, to help a person that might actually read, the following below is why I came to my earlier conclusion. No disrespect is intended to the CompTIA CSR, but until what's she saying jives with what's CURRENT COMPTIA POLICY, I'm gonna stick to what's on paper. Personally, I'm a "certified for life" guy...with no intention of signing up for the CE program. I know many of my fellow techs who take the CompTIA A+, Network+ and Security+ and NOW the CASP will have to consider the CE program, such as yourself. Many have to do the CE program for the (US) DoD 8570 requirements. But my point (based on the written policy) stands: if you are in the CE program, and you fail to achieve the required CEUs the first time you enroll in the program, then your certs expire. If you are a "Certified for Life" person with the first three CompTIA certs, and you fail to achieve the CEUs in the required time (three years), then you are still lifetime. HOWEVER, if you have to do CE, you now have to TAKE THE EXAMS!

What happens if the program requirements aren’t met on or before the CE program expiration date?
    • There are no refunds of any previously collected fees.
    • No units will carry over from one CE program cycle to another.
    If the certification held is a CE version (has an expiration date of 3 years from the date certified) it will
    expire. The only way to participate in CE going forward would be to take and pass the current version of the
    If the certification held is considered “certified for life” (was earned on or before 12/31/10) it will remain as
    is. The only way to participate in CE going forward would be to take and pass the current version of the

More than likely I will just re-up security every 3 years, unless I pursue some higher level certs within the time frame, which is also another possibility.

But since its not going to expire anytime soon yet, I will worry about it later. I actually don't have a problem re-doing it every 3 years, but the $$$ bothers me a bit. However, I still would prefer to re-up 1 exam, than re-up for 3 seperate exams. In this case, 4, since A+ has 2 exams.