Options

Question about CISSP endorsement

drumrolfedrumrolfe Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
CORRECTION: Question about CISSP exam types

I talked to the folks at ISC2 regarding the test options.

There are two options for the CISSP exam.

1) CISSP EXAM
2)CISSP EXAM for ASSOCIATE OF ISC2

CISSP EXAM requires documented 5 years experience and allows nine months to obtain necessary experience to become certified before retest is required.

CISSP EXAM for ASSOCIATE OF ISC2 exam requires no experience and allows 6 years to obtain necessary experience to become certified before retest is required. Once endorsement is received and approved, title is granted.

SO, they said the exam is the same – and they rely on the endorser for experience verification. Which one in your opinion should I take?

I have about 81 months plus a degree of IS experience covering two or more domains within the CBK. SO experience isn't a problem. I currently have an endorsement by a member in good standing ready to be sent in once I pass - I'm just trying not to shoot myself in the foot. If the endorsement falls through and I take the regular CISSP exam, I only have 9 months to get endorsed. With the second test I have as much time as I need.

Opinions? I feel it is better to take the second test as that allows for more flexibility.

Comments

• Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    "allows nine months to obtain necessary experience to become certified before retest is required....."
    Boy that's new. I don't see anything on the website about a retake policy. I thought they would take your money at anytime for a retake.
    The exams are identical. As an Associate of ISC2 you do not need endorsement. You need to earn experience within 6 years of passing the exam otherwise you have to take the exam again.
    If you cannot find anyone to endorse you or you are not sure if this person would endorse you, I would suggest that ISC2 would assist you in this process. Normally it takes up to 6 weeks for endorsement.
    If this just an issue of time and you do not think you are that familiar with the material and may be opposed to giving up additional $$$ to sit for another exam I would suggest that you reschedule for a later date.

Good Luck on the exam.

Regards and Happy New Year!!!
  • Options
    drumrolfedrumrolfe Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bigdogz wrote: »
    "allows nine months to obtain necessary experience to become certified before retest is required....."
    Boy that's new. I don't see anything on the website about a retake policy. I thought they would take your money at anytime for a retake.
    The exams are identical. As an Associate of ISC2 you do not need endorsement. You need to earn experience within 6 years of passing the exam otherwise you have to take the exam again.
    If you cannot find anyone to endorse you or you are not sure if this person would endorse you, I would suggest that ISC2 would assist you in this process. Normally it takes up to 6 weeks for endorsement.
    If this just an issue of time and you do not think you are that familiar with the material and may be opposed to giving up additional $$$ to sit for another exam I would suggest that you reschedule for a later date.

Good Luck on the exam.

Regards and Happy New Year!!!

Thanks for the reply.

However, this question is not about retake policy. I should clarify. If you take the CISSP exam and do not have the endorsement within nine months of passing the exam, you must pay the exam fee and take the test again. Would it just be less stressful and a better option to take the second exam?
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I really don't see how the endorsement would be a problem, assuming the individual is in fact a current CISSP, and the information you provide ISC(2) is accurate. As state, if you don't have someone lined up, ISC(2) can assist you with the endorsement process.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    Yeah, ISC2 should help you. It should not take them 9 months to endorse someone.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    There is no "second test." There are two options: one for people that have the requisite experience and those that don't. The CISSP exam is the same either way.

You have both the 5+ years of experience and an endorser, so you will go for the full CISSP certification. There is really nothing else to consider.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Getting an endorsement really isn't an issue. If you don't know anyone who is currently a CISSP, then you can ask ISC2 to do it and it will be the same as getting randomly verified. It adds about a month or so into the waiting after you take the exam. However, If your experience is easily verifiable, I'm sure that someone on here could work with you. I had another person in my company, that I don't know at all and who is located halfway across the country from me, endorse me by calling my previous employers and verifying employment duration and job duties. I only had to include 2 employers to get the requisite time. If your experience is through contract work, it would be a different story. 2¢.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    There is no "second test." There are two options: one for people that have the requisite experience and those that don't. The CISSP exam is the same either way.

You have both the 5+ years of experience and an endorser, so you will go for the full CISSP certification. There is really nothing else to consider.

Thanks for correcting me. I have been working a grest deal as of late.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    bigdogz wrote: »
    Thanks for correcting me. I have been working a grest deal as of late.
    No problem; that's what we at TE are all here for. ;)