SSCP Practice Tests

TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi folks,

Searched the forums and there's not a whole lot on this, decided to ping the rest of the group. I purchased the UCertify practice tests and quite honestly ... not impressed. They are better than nothing, but what I really hate about them is the "Choose all that apply" questions. From what I understand the real exam is not like that *shrug*. Not that those aren't valid questions it's just I find myself getting 2/3 out of a possible 4 answers right (so I miss the question), but it is still kind of annoying. Basically where I'm at is I've read a couple books for the exam (Gold Book and Darril Gibson's new book) and just wanted to gauge myself of where I stand on the material.

I'm fine just using the UCertify stuff if so-be-it. However, last night I downloaded the PrepLogic CISSP practice exams demo and was much more happy with those questions (even though a lot of them didn't apply to the SSCP). My question: Are some of the CISSP practice exams good to use for this exam or is it too advanced and over kills the topics?

I have not purchased the exams from cccure.org yet, but am considering it. I have also taken the practice test on this great site as well.

As always, thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The major problem is with the content of the practice exams. The SSCP and CISSP CBKs do have some overlap, but the SSCP has domains the CISSP does not and vice versa. Therefore, if you were to use CISSP practice exams to study for the SSCP, you wouldn't be seeing topics you needed to study, and would be studying topics not found on the SSCP exam.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info JD. The practice tests at freepracticetests.org are actually very good, I'd recommend them to anyone else in a similar spot as me.
    Please let us know how accurate you think the freepracticetests.org tests are after you take the SSCP exam.
  • Vin3Vin3 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Theres a link on the ISC2 site for offical self assessment tests through studISCope:

https://www.isc2.org/studiscope/default.aspx
    https://www.expresscertifications.com/ISC2/Catalog.aspx

These are better than some other tests i've tried and pretty close to how i imagine the exam will look as the questions aren't asked in a straightforward manner, theres defintely a few trying-to-trip-you-up-as-you're-in-an-exam-and-under-pressure-so-we'll-ask-vague-questions-with-answers-that-could-all-be-correct-or-just-plain-try-and-confuse-you-but-if-you-know-you're-stuff-you're-fine kinda way.

Has made go back over a few topics in more detail, i've found them useful.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    TeKniques wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Searched the forums and there's not a whole lot on this, decided to ping the rest of the group. I purchased the UCertify practice tests and quite honestly ... not impressed. They are better than nothing, but what I really hate about them is the "Choose all that apply" questions. From what I understand the real exam is not like that *shrug*. Not that those aren't valid questions it's just I find myself getting 2/3 out of a possible 4 answers right (so I miss the question), but it is still kind of annoying. Basically where I'm at is I've read a couple books for the exam (Gold Book and Darril Gibson's new book) and just wanted to gauge myself of where I stand on the material.

I'm fine just using the UCertify stuff if so-be-it. However, last night I downloaded the PrepLogic CISSP practice exams demo and was much more happy with those questions (even though a lot of them didn't apply to the SSCP). My question: Are some of the CISSP practice exams good to use for this exam or is it too advanced and over kills the topics?

I have not purchased the exams from cccure.org yet, but am considering it. I have also taken the practice test on this great site as well.

As always, thanks for your help in advance.

I'm a little behind in my posts on this forum but your mention of the "Gold Book" piqued my interest. I'm wondering if this is the gold colored SSCP CBK? http://www.amazon.com/Official-ISC-Guide-SSCP-Press/dp/0849327741/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326103907&sr=1-5
    If so, and in case you're not aware, that is a much older book for a version of the SSCP exam that has been updated twice since.

Having taken the test early last year, I know that your Security+ knowledge will help you. Also, it sounds like you're doing a lot to prepare and I look forward to hearing about your pass.

Darril
    Security Blog
    Yes, the old "Gold Book" has been replaced with the newer "Dark Green Book." :)
    Darril wrote: »
    I'm a little behind in my posts on this forum but your mention of the "Gold Book" piqued my interest. I'm wondering if this is the gold colored SSCP CBK? Amazon.com: Official (ISC)2 Guide to the SSCP CBK ((ISC)2 Press) (9780849327742): Diana-Lynn Contesti, Douglas Andre, Paul A. Henry, Bonnie A. Goins, Eric Waxvik, Harold F. Tipton: Books
    If so, and in case you're not aware, that is a much older book for a version of the SSCP exam that has been updated twice since.

Having taken the test early last year, I know that your Security+ knowledge will help you. Also, it sounds like you're doing a lot to prepare and I look forward to hearing about your pass.

Darril
    Security Blog

Hi Darril and JD,

I made a mistake in my original post ... I do actually have the 'Green' SSCP book and not the 'Gold' book. I bought the kindle edition. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of that book! :)

As for the preparation for this exam, I've read both the books (Darril's and the Official Guide) and am now reviewing them along with my notes to fill in the gaps. I will say that some of the questions from the Freepracticetests.org site seem a little too advanced for this exam imho. I did take the assessments that Vin3 suggested from the StudISCope site and they were pretty good (thanks Vin3).

All in all I'm feeling good about this exam so I will probably schedule it soon.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Please let us know how accurate you think the freepracticetests.org tests are after you take the SSCP exam.

I took the exam yesterday in Raleigh, NC. Overall I feel pretty good about the exam as nothing out of the ordinary jumped out at me. I know there's supposed to be 25 questions that are 'research' questions, but they all felt like they were relevant while taking the exam. The key is slowly reading each question ... I missed one that I was fooled on and my instincts were right (should of changed it).

As for the practice tests at freepracticetests.org and relation to the SSCP. IMO they are more geared toward the CISSP; while taking those practice tests on 'pro' mode they were very advanced and go into a lot more detail then I would have thought for the SSCP. Needless to say though, the information learned by them is important and since I plan to eventually pursue CISSP it was fine by me to study from them. However, the absolute BEST practice questions were the ones from StudISCope (I purchased all 3 of them). Finally, I did have the UCertify kit too and I would NOT recommend that as it's outdated and a lot of the questions in that kit are non-sense in relation to the exam.

I'll report back once I have my results :)

Thank you all for the support!
    Glad to hear you feel confident and thanks for the post of what resources were valuable. The waiting is tough but I remember getting my results for the SSCP much quicker than the CISSP.
    TeKniques wrote: »
    As for the practice tests at freepracticetests.org and relation to the SSCP. IMO they are more geared toward the CISSP; while taking those practice tests on 'pro' mode they were very advanced and go into a lot more detail then I would have thought for the SSCP.

However, the absolute BEST practice questions were the ones from StudISCope (I purchased all 3 of them).

Finally, I did have the UCertify kit too and I would NOT recommend that as it's outdated and a lot of the questions in that kit are non-sense in relation to the exam.
    Yup, these are very commonly-asserted opinions about these products. Thanks for the detailed review!
    Hi Everyone,

I received my results today (finally) after taking my exam on February 19th. I am happy to report that I passed the exam :)

I must say that this exam was the most difficult one I have taken, but imo it's hard to compare this exam to any of the Microsoft exams I have taken. However, with that said I felt more than prepared going into the exam. One thing I would like to echo that has been mentioned before by other SSCP test takers and in JD Murray's excellent write up is that -- THIS EXAM IS A LOT HARDER THAN SECURITY+. If you scored high on your Security+ exam and expect to walk into this exam with minimal study then you will most likely fail. The questions are a lot more difficult and require a little bit more analysis before answering.

My study materials were the practice exams mentioned in the thread; the Official Guide SSCP 'Green' book and Darril Gibson's SSCP AIO guide, and I also used the CBT Nuggets videos. Admittedly I didn't like the Official Guide, it was super boring to read and just ... dry. Darril's book was easier to read (I actually read it twice, taking notes the second time through).

For my exam, I was the only SSCP test taker; all other 31 candidates were taking CISSP. I even had the honor of the head proctor announcing to everyone that he had a 'special test for me' :D

Now for the endorsement stuff -- could take another 6 weeks! Luckily, my boss is a CISSP and he has agreed to endorse me so maybe that will speed things up.

Next for me I plan on upgrading my MCSE (been studying for the 70-649 during the long wait). Hopefully I can take that exam sometime in April. I do plan on pursuing the CISSP before year's end. Thanks again to those that helped out in this thread; really appreciate it!
    Congratulations on your pass! icon_cheers.gif

How accurate/helpful were the freepracticetests.org questions?
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Congratulations on your pass! icon_cheers.gif

How accurate/helpful were the freepracticetests.org questions?

Thanks! The questions from freepracticetests.org were good, but IMO were more helpful for someone pursuing the CISSP. A lot of the questions were well advanced for the material presented from all the reading I did for the SSCP. Needless to say though, they are definitely helpful and I would recommend anyone taking the exam to use them.
    Congratulations on the news and thanks for the information. Good luck on the 70-649 and the CISSP.
  • vsecgodvsecgod Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    glad to know you passed with Darril's new book AIO. I also purchased it due to the fact that and the other book, the official SSCP, had horrible reviews on Amazon. It's a pitty there's not much selection out there for SSCP..

I am also looking for practice questions for SSCP, and since you did buy the ones recommended by ISC, were they helpful? Would you recommend buying them or just sticking to free practice questions? If you did buy them, which package would you recommend? I felt the practice questions from the AIO were pretty easy and easily guessed. I feel it doesn't reflect the actual questions in the exam. What did you think of the chapter questions and test questions from the AIO?
    vsecgod wrote: »
    glad to know you passed with Darril's new book AIO. I also purchased it due to the fact that and the other book, the official SSCP, had horrible reviews on Amazon. It's a pitty there's not much selection out there for SSCP..

I am also looking for practice questions for SSCP, and since you did buy the ones recommended by ISC, were they helpful? Would you recommend buying them or just sticking to free practice questions? If you did buy them, which package would you recommend? I felt the practice questions from the AIO were pretty easy and easily guessed. I feel it doesn't reflect the actual questions in the exam. What did you think of the chapter questions and test questions from the AIO?

The practice questions from StudISCope are very good and highly recommended. Imo they are the closest you will find to what the questions on the exam are presented like. I purchased all three assessments (A, B, and C). I originally purchased the A and B together and took them after reading through the Official Guide and Darril's book; I scored between 72-76% on both exams (not very good). I then went back and re-read Darril's book thoroughly and took notes while going through it. After I did that, I purchased the C assessment and scored 92% on it on a first try. I retook the others (roughly 2-3 weeks after my initial attempts) and scored both of them in the low 90's. I then went through the questions at www.freepracticetests.org (paid version) on the pro mode; I did 50 questions per each CBK domain. I was getting in between 80-85% correct. I felt ready to take the exam at that point, went ahead and scheduled and that was that.

The questions in the AIO and the free Master Exam Test + Extra downloadable test that comes on the CD are more like the format of the Security+ exam imo (they just cover more content). When I took the two 125 question exams on the CD I got around 110-115/125 correct on the first try.

Everyone prepares a little differently; you will know when you're ready to take the exam. For me it was seeing my score on the third StudISCope assessment on the first try.

Best of luck.
  • chrishzchrishz Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bump, sorry for that. I sat for the SSCP in April 2011, using the official (ISC)2 book and questions on freepracticetests.org (the free "edition"). I agree with TeKniques that the questions there sometimes lean a little bit towards CISSP questions, but they are a pretty good help and provide a reasonably fair indication of what to expect on the exam. It's not a bad thing if you anticipate harder questions, and a decent portion of SSCP overlaps with CISSP. YMMV, but the FPT.org had quite a few questions on BC/DRP while my SSCP exam was pretty low on these. It won't do you any harm, surely, and it's free up to a certain point (I found out that there's a limit when I did my second or third practice exam for CISSP ;)). I think it's excellent material if you plan on going after CISSP after SSCP.
    Hi folks,

After a long wait I finally received my endorsement confirmation today so I am officially SSCP certified now :)

Looking to pick up CISSP studies soon!
    chrishz wrote: »
    Bump, sorry for that. I sat for the SSCP in April 2011, using the official (ISC)2 book and questions on freepracticetests.org (the free "edition"). I agree with TeKniques that the questions there sometimes lean a little bit towards CISSP questions, but they are a pretty good help and provide a reasonably fair indication of what to expect on the exam. It's not a bad thing if you anticipate harder questions, and a decent portion of SSCP overlaps with CISSP. YMMV, but the FPT.org had quite a few questions on BC/DRP while my SSCP exam was pretty low on these. It won't do you any harm, surely, and it's free up to a certain point (I found out that there's a limit when I did my second or third practice exam for CISSP ;)). I think it's excellent material if you plan on going after CISSP after SSCP.

Yes, I echo all of this. Those questions from freepracticetests.org will be one of my main study aids for CISSP.