Secure GNS3 labs

jaykeubjaykeub Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I am starting preps for the Secure paper and was wondering about how to go about setting up GNS3 for all its labs.
Could someone who has done this please outline what versions of IOS/etc,etc is required to get through this successfully ?
I keep hearing that secure is definitely possible on GNS3 but am yet to come across some material

I have a CCNA security lab manual which outlines what you need to practice and know from the lab perspective. Is there any such material available for the Secure paper ?

Also is there anything for Secure that is on the likes of the ccna,ccnp GNS3 labs that are readily available ?

Thanks in advance
Jake

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    GNS3 is helpful for SECURE studies but does have its limitations (personally used a 7200 adv sec image) and found obvious issues with configuring IOS IPS, SSL VPN, WEBVPN and CA (there might be others but they are slipping my mind right now). However it really shined with CBAC, zone based firewall, and the other VPN topics not listed previous and was able to cover most of what I needed on the router side.

Switching side is a different story. I used 2950/3550s I have at home as well as had a little bit of access to 3560s for practicing PVLAN.

jaykeub wrote: »
    Also is there anything for Secure that is on the likes of the ccna,ccnp GNS3 labs that are readily available ?

The best source I had for labbing was going through the examples in Network Security Technologies and Solutions (CCIE Professional Development Series) [Hardcover]

Amazon link to the book: Amazon.com: Network Security Technologies and Solutions (CCIE Professional Development Series) (9781587052460): Yusuf Bhaiji: Books
    WIP: IPS exam
  • jaykeubjaykeub Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @ nicklauscombs,
    Thanks for the reply , man ...
    About the switching part, i dont suppose the packetlife racks can be used right ?
    Thanks, will take a look at the links now
    About the switching part, i dont suppose the packetlife racks can be used right ?

i would highly suggest taking advantage of those for the switching.
    The CCIE book looks great .. I am getting it :)

So to sum it up , Most of the routing topics can be covered using GNS3 and the packetlife rack should take care of the switching part , right ?

Forgive me for pressing but you did say that you ran into issues with IPS , SSL and WEB VPN and CA .. could you brief me in on what exactly the problem was and what options I have to get around it ?

Thx a bunch
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Forgive me for pressing but you did say that you ran into issues with IPS , SSL and WEB VPN and CA .. could you brief me in on what exactly the problem was and what options I have to get around it ?

I would be interested to hear more about this as well.
    alan2308 wrote: »
    I would be interested to hear more about this as well.

no access to the IOS IPS files nor the webvpn license
    Thanks a lot man .. appreciate it !
    Going to start SECURE and hoping to give the exam by april .. Will be updating here :)
    good luck with your studies, if you have anymore questions feel free to shoot me a PM or reply again in this thread.
    Yup . . thanks . . I am pretty sure that I will need more help , hehe . . will keep ya posted :)