Passed JNCIS-SEC

lrblrb Member Posts: 526
Passed JNCIS-SEC this afternoon. I only lost marks on UTM stuff (which I don't use at work anyway) so I was pretty happy icon_cheers.gif

The exam was considerably harder than the JNCIA-Junos exam imo but very fair - i.e. there was no stupid word-game questions - either you knew the answer or you didn't.

I used the official course materials which I purchased from juniper.net but I reckon the fast track materials are probably enough. I have an SRX 210H at home which I used to do anything that could be done with a single SRX (e.g. zones, policies, SCREEN, etc) mixed with a laptop with metasploit (not really needed - I just wanted to generate some noise to test out the SCREEN options). I also used our SRX 1400 cluster in our work test network for anything which required 2+ devices. Reading comments from zoidberg and Aldur on here certainly helped aswell :)

Onto JCNIP-SEC now!

Comments

• zoidbergzoidberg Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! And best wishes on your JNCIP endeavors!

The good news is you won't need to face anymore UTM. I've heard the current JNCIS is a third UTM. Yikes! Look for a bunch of IPSec and IPS on the JNCIP. Also troubleshooting and recognizing values and operations based on the outputs of show commands.

If you have access to them, the AJSEC and JIPS student guides will cover the exam nicely.
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526

Already ordered the AJSEC and JIPS student guides from the site :) Can't wait to get stuck into this one!
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Firstly congrats man! great result!

how did you find the track? im rather weak in the security arena and are looking to find a track to expand my knowledge but would prefer not to do the CCNP:S as most is irrelevant to what i do.

also, did you use any lab workbooks for your prep or just make them up in relation to the topics? How long did you study for the exam?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    Thanks mate! We have lots of big boy SRX's at work (3400 series and above) so the JNCIS is very relevant (other than UTM) to my job so a lot of the stuff wasn't brand new which helped a lot. I specifically went the Junos security track rather than CCNP sec as I rarely touch ASAs and the IPS appliances - the SECURE course would be OK but i'd probably go insane doing the other three exams :P

Yep when you buy the official course material (from juniper.net) you get everything such as the student guide, lab book, lab diagrams, etc. Plus you often get a free exam voucher too which helps offset the costs of the books. This covered everything really well. You could however just make up labs from the fast track guides and that should be enough.

Serious study time was probably 2 weeks or so if you don't include experience on the job and theory from other certs (CCNP, CCNA sec, for example)

I strongly encourage you to go down the Junos security track while juniper are offering all of the goodies like fast track, 50% off exams, cheap exams, and being able to buy course materials from the site.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lrb wrote: »
    Thanks mate! We have lots of big boy SRX's at work (3400 series and above) so the JNCIS is very relevant (other than UTM) to my job so a lot of the stuff wasn't brand new which helped a lot. I specifically went the Junos security track rather than CCNP sec as I rarely touch ASAs and the IPS appliances - the SECURE course would be OK but i'd probably go insane doing the other three exams :P

Yep when you buy the official course material (from juniper.net) you get everything such as the student guide, lab book, lab diagrams, etc. Plus you often get a free exam voucher too which helps offset the costs of the books. This covered everything really well. You could however just make up labs from the fast track guides and that should be enough.

Serious study time was probably 2 weeks or so if you don't include experience on the job and theory from other certs (CCNP, CCNA sec, for example)

I strongly encourage you to go down the Junos security track while juniper are offering all of the goodies like fast track, 50% off exams, cheap exams, and being able to buy course materials from the site.

Thanks for the information man, its much appreciated. I dont have much experience on the security side but the fast track material appears to give you some good solid grounding from what ive flicked through. I agree with the CCNP:s track, alot of it appears to be too cisco orientated and i simply dont work with the stuff so it wouldnt be too beneficial for me. The ASA exam would be but thats about it.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    congrats on the pass!
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender