Hey everyone on TE!

Daniel DDaniel D Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I've been a member here for a little while, but haven't visited in a long while. I was so inspired by this site and wanting to get certified, being as passionate about technology and computers as I am. Then all of a sudden I landed a retail manager job at one of the largest retail chains. It was great at first, but I let it suck away all of my drive. Now I'm back, and I want to take this all on full force! I have a new drive, I have a family now and I want to be able to provide for them doing something I love. I can provide now, but this (retail) is definitely not my niche. I just have a few questions, and the most important being location. I am considering moving to San Jose, CA, but I'm not sure how the job market is out there, and if it's really for entry level IT professionals. I'm currently in Goodyear, AZ, which is about 20 minutes from Phoenix. Would it be a smart move if this is the career path that I am choosing? Also I was wondering if CompTIA still has their expiration dates, or if that was abolished. Lastly, is the market as saturated as some people say?

I appreciate any help I get from all individuals on this board, and I look forward to reading the replies!

Thanks,
Daniel D

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    *CompTIA (A+, Network+,Security+) expire every 3 years now

*Silicon Valley job market is improving and growing very fast
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Like Dak mentioned those big 3 do expire now. Personally if I was you I would look at MS operating system if you are looking for deskside/help desk/system admin work and if you are looking more at the NOC side of things then Linux+ maybe or the CCNA.

Just my two cents

What do you want to do?
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    *CompTIA (A+, Network+,Security+) expire every 3 years now

*Silicon Valley job market is improving and growing very fast

Add CompTIA's CASP to that list.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »

Hmmm I didn't know that.

ERP are you considering going for the CASP at some point? Just for the record I am not, I really have no idea why I even went for Security +.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Depends what/where you want to end up in ?

Networking , server , help desk, development/programming ???

Its more about you making the best of your available opportunities than if the market is saturated.
    Its all about how motivated you are and how hard you are prepared to work

Thanks to Noc-Ninja for the video link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SPf0sClRgrU
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you close to Ft. Huachuca(sp?) I think that is close to Sierra Vista. If you have at least Security+ I think you shouldn't have a problem landing a job on or around the base there.
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erpadmin wrote: »

Correct. At this time the A+, Network+, Security+, and CASP expire every 3 years and fall under the CE program.
    If you enroll in the CE (Continuing Education) program through various activities you can keep the certification.
    You have to pay annual fees and apply CEU's to maintain the certification every 3 years.
    CompTIA Continuing Education Program
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    say you have the A+ and a year later you pass the Network+ will that prolong the expiration date of the A+ by a year? I heard that it does
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pruspeter wrote: »
    say you have the A+ and a year later you pass the Network+ will that prolong the expiration date of the A+ by a year? I heard that it does

I believe so, for sure I know it counts as CEU's.
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!