console server for CCNP lab

4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
I was looking around on *bay and found these for super cheap: Xyplex Maxserver 1620. Just rounding out my lab for CCNP, and I definitely need a console server. The models available from Cisco are so expensive... I was just wondering if anyone here has had experience with these, or similar models?[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[h=1][/h][h=1][/h]
Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

Comments

• vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't know how much they go for on ebay these days, but a Digi CM32 is one of the best console servers that i've used.

Digi CM - Secure, Intelligent and Easy Console Management - Digi International

They wire the console ports so that you can take a standard Ethernet patch cable and plug it directly between the console server and a Cisco console port without any adapters. It is one of my favorite pieces of gear! I used one to build my lab for SWITCH and now all I have to do is VPN into my company network and telnet/ssh to the IP + Port number of the equipment I want and I don't have to keep a rack at home....very cool icon_smile.gif
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That is awesome to know vin. One of the reasons I've never gotten a term server is cause of the hassle of dealing with it's cabling (I had picked up one for work from free when they liquidated a bought company and ended up pitching it for that very reason.. plus I think it was only a 4 or 6 port).
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have a Cisco 2511 which works great and is fairly simple to set up and customize if you know IOS well (which I think most of us do).

There are 2 different models. The standard 2511 uses special octal cables and the 2511RJ uses rollover cables. If you're like me and can make your own cables, the RJ model is the way to go as you can make up a bunch of different length cables to suit your needs.

A 2511 lets you telnet right to the port you need, so you could (if needed) have 16 different windows open accessing 16 different devices. You can also create menus that let you quickly jump around to different devices from one screen.

I guess the drawback is that they still cost a lot. I got mine for $175 but it looks like they're going for $200-275 right now.
    Netwurk wrote: »
    I have a Cisco 2511 which works great and is fairly simple to set up and customize if you know IOS well (which I think most of us do).

There are 2 different models. The standard 2511 uses special octal cables and the 2511RJ uses rollover cables. If you're like me and can make your own cables, the RJ model is the way to go as you can make up a bunch of different length cables to suit your needs.

A 2511 lets you telnet right to the port you need, so you could (if needed) have 16 different windows open accessing 16 different devices. You can also create menus that let you quickly jump around to different devices from one screen.

I guess the drawback is that they still cost a lot. I got mine for $175 but it looks like they're going for $200-275 right now.

I think 275 is about what we got our 32 port Digi for on Ebay. Did I mention they have a web interface and you can access the console via a pop up java web window icon_smile.gif

Oh and they use PCMCIA modems for dial-in...it's a sweet box
    vinbuck wrote: »
    I think 275 is about what we got our 32 port Digi for on Ebay. Did I mention they have a web interface and you can access the console via a pop up java web window icon_smile.gif

Oh and they use PCMCIA modems for dial-in...it's a sweet box

Sounds good and you also have 16 extra ports.

At any rate, I can telnet or ssh into my 2511 which I've done from work, vacation, my iPad, etc. And it's also useful for routing when you need that one extra device. So I'll keep it.

:)
    yup but the 2500 is a great piece to have around. It amazes me that a piece of equipment from the prehistoric days of networking is still a highly sought after box - that in and of itself makes it not only a great functional unit to have but s great conversation piece as well...
  • lwwarnerlwwarner Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Another thought... In my lab rack I use a 2620 with an NM-16A module plus a pair of WIC-2T cards installed. This gives me a 16-port terminal server which doubles as a 4-port frame relay switch all in 1U of rack space. More room for other toys!
    lwwarner wrote: »
    Another thought... In my lab rack I use a 2620 with an NM-16A module plus a pair of WIC-2T cards installed. This gives me a 16-port terminal server which doubles as a 4-port frame relay switch all in 1U of rack space. More room for other toys!

That's just showing off.

• sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    Honestly that is the way to go. It save space (doubles router as a frame switch and terminal server). The best benefit that I see is using the NM-16/32A as a terminal server. Most of the companies that I have seen use Cisco routers as terminal servers instead of other vendors.
    That's just showing off.

Heh, heh... The 2620 in question is at the bottom of the stack:

skeletek16-1.jpg
    (click pic for hi-res image)
  • chappys4lifechappys4life Member Posts: 114
    Have you looked at the Cyclades ts2000? You can pick them up for 100 off ebay and work great. Its 32 port and uses cat 5 cables, on the downside you have to make your own but its easy if you have made network cables before.

I have one and its great and a lot cheaper than a cisco as they have gotten pricey.
    Heh, heh... The 2620 in question is at the bottom of the stack

Nice. I have slots where I could drop one in on one of my routers. But I don't really like the octal cables as you can't run them very far and my equipment is in 2 locations about 20 feet apart. Might work if I used the 2511 for one rack and the NM16-A for the other.
    But I don't really like the octal cables as you can't run them very far and my equipment is in 2 locations about 20 feet apart.
    You should be able to extend the octal cables to be as long as you like. Just wire up a straight-through cable with a jack on one end and a plug on the other...
    You should be able to extend the octal cables to be as long as you like. Just wire up a straight-through cable with a jack on one end and a plug on the other...

I know about that one, but I've never liked extending cable with couplers or jacks. It creates another point of failure and I've seen those kind of fixes fail. They're really meant to be a temporary solution. I have a fairly big lab and I already spend enough time troubleshooting the wiring when I should be labbing for CCNP.

Yeah, I can understand that. Well, if a cable extension seems too temporary you could put a patch panel in each rack and interconnect the two racks, including console lines, via patch panel ports. That would probably be the cleanest solution for all inter-rack cabling anyway. As usual, the possible solutions are only limited by the number of people that you ask! :)
  • doctor_bdoctor_b Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    worth checking out the opengear console servers aswell. they have models (like their ACM and IM series) with cisco pinout. so straight cat5 to any of your gear.

do serial logging, pattern matching and have tftp on board for restoring configs etc.
  • blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    I use a Jetstream 4000 which has 8 ports, that I picked up from work for free as I upgraded to a Jetsteam 8500 (16 ports) for the lab at work.

You have to make your own cables though.

I don't mean to tease but I've got a spare Jetstream 4000 in my bottom draw at work.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and bought the Xyplex Maxserver 1620 for just under $35 shipped. That is the Buy It Now price btw. If anyone would like to take a look, here is the link:
    XYPLEX MAXSERVER 1620 Terminal Server MX-1620-004 | eBay

Also, here is the link on how to configure it for a Cisco lab:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/36496
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

Yeah, I considered doing that, but those modules are not cheap. Cost was really the whole point of this thread icon_wink.gif BTW, I see you are also in Indiana. Which part of the state are you in? Just asking because I was wondering about the job situation where you are at. I'm in the northern part of the state, and there is not many IT jobs...

blackninja wrote: »
    I use a Jetstream 4000 which has 8 ports, that I picked up from work for free as I upgraded to a Jetsteam 8500 (16 ports) for the lab at work.

You have to make your own cables though.

I don't mean to tease but I've got a spare Jetstream 4000 in my bottom draw at work.

Maybe you should consider selling it to a guy like me icon_wink.gif. I'd hate to see the cost of shipping though...

• blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    4_lom wrote: »
    Maybe you should consider selling it to a guy like me icon_wink.gif. I'd hate to see the cost of shipping though...

LOL - belongs to work so maybe when I finish this contract ;)
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
    4_lom wrote: »
    Yeah, I considered doing that, but those modules are not cheap. Cost was really the whole point of this thread icon_wink.gif BTW, I see you are also in Indiana. Which part of the state are you in? Just asking because I was wondering about the job situation where you are at. I'm in the northern part of the state, and there is not many IT jobs...

Haven't seen too many Hoosiers on here...I was born and raised in Indiana before I moved down south as a senior in High School. I lived in Mishawaka before moving down to Indy and then on to the deep south.