Train signal vs cbt nuggets

odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
I'm just what people think of the train signal videos over cbt nuggets. I'm half way through the cbt nuggets and think they are fairly light in the material. I hope they get deeper content in the second half.

Has anyone seen both videos to compare them?

I don't use them as my only source. I typically watch cbt's first, then read the book and then lab. It worked great for my CCNA.
Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action

Comments

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've watched cbt nugget VCP4 and Train Signal VCP5. Train Signal is far superior.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I havent used either for VCP$, but I've used CBT nuggets and Train Signal for Linux+...and there's honestly no comparsion..Train Signal content is by far better.

A lot of the CBT nugget video's I have watched, looked like they were made out of a basement or garage haha..but seriously..
  • alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    it all depends which video series you are watching. I am currently watching TS SCCM videos and they are awful and riddled with mistakes whereas the cbt nuggets videos althought dated do a much better job in explaining more concepts in the same amount of time.
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    alokin123 wrote: »
    it all depends which video series you are watching. I am currently watching TS SCCM videos and they are awful and riddled with mistakes whereas the cbt nuggets videos althought dated do a much better job in explaining more concepts in the same amount of time.

I suppose thats fair to say. I loved the CCNA CBT's. The ITIL CBT were horrible. I'll have to see about shelling out the money for the train signal. I'm taking the vmare class at the local CC, and have the mastering vsphere 5 book.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • hawkeyelax13hawkeyelax13 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    alokin123 wrote: »

Hi Alokin123, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with TrainSignal's SCCM course. I would love to hear more about your disappointment and the mistakes with the SCCM so we can make sure to fix and update the course. Feel free to PM me or email me gary [at] trainsignal [dot] com. Additionally, let me know if there is another course of TrainSignal's you'd like and I'll get you a copy for your troubles with SCCM.

Thanks and please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help
  • Mc5ullyMc5ully Banned Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can't stand the guy's voice in the CBT Nuggets videos. He sounds like he's medicated and is WAY too excited about what he's teaching.
  • slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Train signal is better, I've seen cbt 4 and train signal 5, I don't think it means Gregg shields is a bad instructor, train signal is just more focused on VMware. I did go to Gregg's presentation at Vmworld and it was the best one I went to, if you get a chance to go to one of his sessions do it.
    I went ahead and got the trainsignal videos. The TOC seemed to cover all the topics I wanted. I've only seen the first couple of videos. I don't care for the guys voice. It sounds too much like a robot. However the content is pretty good so far.
  • pacotacopacotaco Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I suppose thats fair to say. I loved the CCNA CBT's. The ITIL CBT were horrible. I'll have to see about shelling out the money for the train signal. I'm taking the vmare class at the local CC, and have the mastering vsphere 5 book.

Hi Odyssey, you mind me asking where you are taking your VM class? I'm in the same area.
    Looking to transfer to WGU to begin Bachelors in IT
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bought both, CBT Nuggets was more like a quick overview - Trainsignal goes a bit "deeper" but neither are enough on their own to pass the exam ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
    pacotaco wrote: »
    Hi Odyssey, you mind me asking where you are taking your VM class? I'm in the same area.

Collin College. They have a class at their courtyard campus at park and preston. $599.00. So far its been pretty good. 5 Saturdays, so it does not interfere with my work days. Price is right. The instructor works for vmware and has a lot of experience.

If you sign up for them, let me know and I'll sell my books to you at a discount.
    I always combine video training with one or two good books. The videos help break up the reading. Some days I can't even think about coming home and reading technical books, but I don't mind putting a cbt on the TV while eating dinner to get the basics covered.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would have to say that TrainSignal has consistently been better on all of the subjects that I have been able to compare. However, I did use CBT Nuggets because it was a better overall value having sat through the entire run of the course in one day and having only paid $24.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I havent used either for VCP$, but I've used CBT nuggets and Train Signal for Linux+...and there's honestly no comparsion..Train Signal content is by far better.

A lot of the CBT nugget video's I have watched, looked like they were made out of a basement or garage haha..but seriously..

This is discouraging to hear. I'm currently 2/3 through the first TrainSignal Linux+ DVD and I really don't feel like I've learned or retained very much at all. My plan was to get CBT Nuggets Linux+ to double up, but if it's worse than TrainSignal I'm not sure what to do now...
    This is discouraging to hear. I'm currently 2/3 through the first TrainSignal Linux+ DVD and I really don't feel like I've learned or retained very much at all. My plan was to get CBT Nuggets Linux+ to double up, but if it's worse than TrainSignal I'm not sure what to do now...

The videos should only be one part of your study material. You should have a good couple of books for any cert.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The videos should only be one part of your study material. You should have a good couple of books for any cert.

Agreed.

I've been through a couple tests thinking "I can learn all about my certifications with these videos".

Don't fall into that trap. It isn't like that.

I've watched videos from INE.com, TrainSignal, CBTnuggets, and various youtube. I've come from those videos feeling
    "I have a decent grasp in the concept. This isn't so alien. It's breaking the ice." but never thought "I'm a professional at this topic".

The best way I can think of it is: Videos are your wingman -Skilled pickup artists, and certifications is the hot redhead in the red dress. Treat the videos as a way to get to your goal (Break the ice). Use whatever pickup lines, and skills you've learned from the wingmen. Afterwards it's all you. You need to gather those cajonés, and realize that the wingmen won't be there every step of the way.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• EvilJediKillerEvilJediKiller Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□

Honestly, if you need to read more then 1 book along side a video series you should probably re-evaluate your approach to learning or get a better book. You should never need to read multiple 1,000+ page books AND watch an entire video series to pass an exam on 1 topic.

Instead, slow down. Watch a video, practice the topics and then read a chapter. By the time you get through this and have actually performed most of the stuff via your own home lab, you should have no problem passing the test, I'd even go as far to say the videos aren't needed either but certainly give a huge edge when added to a good book.
    Honestly, if you need to read more then 1 book along side a video series you should probably re-evaluate your approach to learning or get a better book. You should never need to read multiple 1,000+ page books AND watch an entire video series to pass an exam on 1 topic.

Instead, slow down. Watch a video, practice the topics and then read a chapter. By the time you get through this and have actually performed most of the stuff via your own home lab, you should have no problem passing the test, I'd even go as far to say the videos aren't needed either but certainly give a huge edge when added to a good book.

I'm not just about taking the exam. I find teh material interesting enought to use multiple sources. It will stay in your head after the exam is over with. For this exam, I'm only using Scott's book and the TrainSignal videos. I also took teh required class, which in the end was just about the same about of material as the videos and it only about 60%. I did picked up some powercli, DRS and SRM books because I use it at work and need to know it.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for posting this. Gonna try these for 70-461.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.