Options

New ISP Job - Networking

So I just started a new job at a data center. Main service is virtual desktops. I just have my CCNA and its been a year and hoenstly a bit rusty since last job was more of a helpdesk. I have been reviewing and doing labs with the freeccnaworkbook site and trying to get back into the game. The owner wants me to be responsible for the entire network eventually so he wants to isolate me and have me document the entire data center network, implement RADIUS, learn BGP, and MPLS eventually. My questions to you guys is what should i pick up on reading material or what should i do to catch up. Switches are for the most parts Ciscos, some Force10 and a ST200 Laurel as the main router for now until switch over to cisco for bgp routers. I was wondering if it be a good idea to get some CCNP books? I was reading the network warrior to get a refresher but am not sure if it'll be good now.

Any tips and advice i'll appreciate.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!

I'd concentrate on documenting the network and the technologies it uses. Then focus your learning form there. Your first priority should be becoming an expert on what's there. CCNP books might help with this, but there isn't much use in reading about EIGRP when you are using another vendors equipment. Focus on getting up to speed first, then worry about growing your knowledge and getting certified.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Since my books are up right now.

Here you go:

Cisco Press BGP Internet Routing Architectures 2nd Edition
    Cisco Press MPLS Fundamentals 2009
    Routing Bits Handbook for RS (this comes really handy for daily work)
    for RADIUS - CCNP Security - there are some white papers out there.

It would be a great idea to get the CCNP RS and CCNP Security library
  • Options
    Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
    Yes I definitely think it's fundamental to first get to know the network and visio it. Ninja I am thinking of getting the whole CCNP RS books but the CCNP Sec I think i will go first with CCNA Sec since I have not done that one. What did you mean your books are up now? Also I have had problems note taking all my life and finding a way to effectively read and takes note on it. I normally try to just understand it and keep it in my head but like everything I might read on EIGRP that if in a month I dont use it I will forget the small details. Recently I started a wordpress account and most of the topics I read on I will go and right about them on my site. Is this a good idea?

Thanks
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Darian929 wrote: »
    Yes I definitely think it's fundamental to first get to know the network and visio it. Ninja I am thinking of getting the whole CCNP RS books but the CCNP Sec I think i will go first with CCNA Sec since I have not done that one. What did you mean your books are up now? Also I have had problems note taking all my life and finding a way to effectively read and takes note on it. I normally try to just understand it and keep it in my head but like everything I might read on EIGRP that if in a month I dont use it I will forget the small details. Recently I started a wordpress account and most of the topics I read on I will go and right about them on my site. Is this a good idea?

Thanks

It was up or open since i was labbing. You wont keep everything in your head with just reading. You need hands on and reading at the same time.
    Think about it. Do you learn driving by just reading the DMV booklet? no right?
    I feel the same way in EIGRP but if you lab for a week then jump to another per say OSPF. you might forget lil things in EIGRP but you wont forget everything, you can come back and lab again on EIGRP and youll remember all of it. That is why its important that we lab all the time. There's a hugeeeeeeeeee difference between reading it and labbing it.

Example, ive talked to one CCIE RS. He admits to me that he comes back to white papers and other books to lab if he knows that he will troubleshoot a protocol for next week. He admits that he doesnt remember everything. Also, like a Jeremy from CBT said, a CCIE or network experts doesnt mean he knows everything but he knows where to find the answers. icon_thumright.gif
    You want not to forget EIGRP? Lab it everyday or every weekend. Fire up 2 routers in GNS3 or 4 routers then play around with it. Turn on debug ip packets and see how beautiful EIGRP is. icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
    NOC-NINJA definitely labbing is very important as it really helps you see the actual issue's and get your brain working. I love GNS3 only thing I wish it has actual switches also to have an all in one lol! I have no room in my house to plug in switches to GNS3 to emulate them. I might just take them to work and fire up my laptop with some switches plugged into nic's and just lab in there for training purposes as the owner is pretty cool laid back guy. As long as he knows im trying to learn and keep getting knowledge he'll be cool with it. Any site you recommend for the work space when actually working and need to look or reference for something? Google is what i use most of the time and just gets me back to the Cisco site jeje.