Linux+ (which version of Linux?)

ger1ger1 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
I'm wondering what version of Linux is best to work with for the exam or does it matter?? I'm currently using Debian, are there any questions which are Red Hat/Debian specific? As well as using the OS what are the best study guides/books.

Thanks

Comments

• humbleboyhumbleboy Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, there are Red Had/Fedora specific questions. I know there are YUM, RPM questions. You'll need Debian and Red Hat/Fedora
  • ger1ger1 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    humbleboy wrote: »
    Yes, there are Red Had/Fedora specific questions. I know there are YUM, RPM questions. You'll need Debian and Red Hat/Fedora

So how well do you need to know each version? Is there a book that covers all for the exam?

Thanks
  • infringerinfringer Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I second that question this is good information I thought Linux + exam was built with the understanding that they would not single out distribution and it was made with basically konsole in mind rather then the distro or the version of x-windows... I have used KDE and Gnome very little as well as some of the software I remember the first time actually building software cause there was no other way to do it when madrivia was mandrake... Anyhow excellent question. I have a few laptops and plan to do an installation.

I am not 100% familiar with GRUB and what its rules are can you boot from multiple distro's of linux? Example can I have say Fedora, Redhat, and Ubuntu all on the same boot drive and select which one I want to boot from?

I figure I will need at least two laptops so I can have a client and a server for some basic reasons but it may just so happen that I will need several laptops would be nice to know because if this is so I'd like to get a motherboard ordered for a laptop I have that needs some fixing.

I would appreciate the answers to these questions so any certified based training with the 2004 update is safe to assume is too old for study as they say it is really not a matter of what distro you use in them CBT's and from the looks of it that has since changed. Yikes they want so much friggin money from these CBT's I'm a little skeptical.

Who has the best CBT's for a reasonable price for linux + ?

Are there any free CBT's for linux + seeing as how everything is open source you would think they would have some kind of open sourced CBT's just to get people to hop the bandwagon at the very least.

The goal is to get this right before I spend money this time I really don't wanna be stuck spending money on useless stuff again. Its easy to spend a lot trying to get certified and I'd rather limit my budget so I can also save for the costs of the two tests. Which by the way does anyone know the going rates for the LPIC 101 & LPIC 102 tests to get the certification?

Wow I guess that was a little bit more then I had originally set out to find answers for but I believe that all of my questions in this post are valid ones.

Thanks

-infringer-
  • megatran808megatran808 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should check out virtualbox if you wanted to test out different distros. It would be much easier than doing a multi boot computer and cheaper than running 2 different laptops. As for free CBTs on linux. Youtube actually has a lot of good how to videos for free. There were a few videos on how to resize partitions and volumes that I needed to learn and understand for my RHCSA exam. I think it helped out a lot.
    "Love your Job, but never fall in love with your company....because you never know when your company stops loving you!"
  • I used Fedora and Ubuntu (Red Hat and Debian derivatives, respectively); I passed Exam 1 this morning.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I used Fedora and Ubuntu (Red Hat and Debian derivatives, respectively); I passed Exam 1 this morning.

Awesome work.

Do you like studying for this exam over N or S+?

Just curious, thanks
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I really enjoyed studying for the Linux+, a lot more than N+ and S+...but I might be a little bias since I have a Linux support job and want to learn as much as possible about Linux
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Another free vm option is kvm

Friendship with Linux: 5.KVM in Fedora 16

The guys at work are switching us from vmware server to kvm on centos 6
    for our production and dev/test servers.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Red Hat, Fedora, or Ubuntu would be enough for the exam.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• ronni_linuxronni_linux Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The exam is vendor neutral..Sybex book covers all the objectives of the exam
  • Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Congratulations
    Thanks!
  • N2IT wrote: »
    Awesome work.

Do you like studying for this exam over N or S+?

Just curious, thanks
    Thanks. I liked studying for the Linux+ more than N+/S+. Much like 'YuckTheFankees,' I want to learn Linux on a granular level.