Options

Head of the IT System Admins job pay???

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys, I have been offerred a chance for a job as system admin for a credit union that is 1 billion assets. What pay can I ask for do you think is safe. They will not say a range
and will help in me moving if need be?

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Location? Size of the environment? Too many factors for us to consider.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    itdaddy wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have been offerred a chance for a job as system admin for a credit union that is 1 billion assets. What pay can I ask for do you think is safe. They will not say a range
    and will help in me moving if need be?

Ask them to tell you the pay range. They can do that. If they dont, bail.
  • Options
    JamesFigueroaJamesFigueroa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Go to Glass Ceiling: Career News and Networking for Women Executives and hopefully the business and position is there and you can get an idea more or less. Also just do google searches for what system admin pays in your area. My 2 cents is throw a number that YOU are ok with(if they are reluctant to give the wage) and is fair market value. You learn alot in the banking world but from what I understand it is very linear. Is this job out of state?
  • Options
    Go to Glass Ceiling: Career News and Networking for Women Executives and hopefully the business and position is there and you can get an idea more or less. Also just do google searches for what system admin pays in your area. My 2 cents is throw a number that YOU are ok with(if they are reluctant to give the wage) and is fair market value. You learn alot in the banking world but from what I understand it is very linear. Is this job out of state?

That you should do James, but I still think the OP should be able to get a payscale from the recuiter or firm if it's a direct approach.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Salary Search | Indeed.com might help you get an idea as well... but play around with it some.

And agree with forcing them to say... they know exactly what their range is.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    That you should do James, but I still think the OP should be able to get a payscale from the recuiter or firm if it's a direct approach.

totally agreed they should but in my experience with these guys, they often want you to throw out the first number so they can gauge how much of a cut they will get with your salary demands. Agreed that you should pressure them to give up the first numbers though.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Unless you just want to find a new job because you dislike your current one, treat the approach as not all that serious until they're willing to talk money. If you're happy enough with your current job, you're dealing from a position of strength, remember that, and don't give it up.
  • Options
    totally agreed they should but in my experience with these guys, they often want you to throw out the first number so they can gauge how much of a cut they will get with your salary demands. Agreed that you should pressure them to give up the first numbers though.

Then talk to some other guys. If an approach is serious you can expect a job description and a salary range. In 14 years in this game I always received each in every job I landed or chose to accept. Professional recruiters will treat you professionally. When engaging with a job advertisement with a recuiter be sure of what salary you would work for and ask direct on the salary range. You should get a number back if the job is serious, at least in my experience.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Then talk to some other guys. If an approach is serious you can expect a job description and a salary range. In 14 years in this game I always received each in every job I landed or chose to accept. Professional recruiters will treat you professionally. When engaging with a job advertisement with a recuiter be sure of what salary you would work for and ask direct on the salary range. You should get a number back if the job is serious, at least in my experience.

I think we are both saying basically the same thing. I just dont think he should run for the hills if they dont want to disclose the salary. I guess I have not had the best experience with recruiters and have had to play this little game with them.
  • Options
    I think we are both saying basically the same thing. I just dont think he should run for the hills if they dont want to disclose the salary. I guess I have not had the best experience with recruiters and have had to play this little game with them.

Oh I have had a few games with them myself over the years. Dont engage if they cant declare a range thats my motto because there are plenty of recruiters and companies who will do.
  • Options
    you guys are dead on..Foresaken_GA thanks for that tid bit. I do feel good and secure with my current job and I feel these guys want me but I do not want a job where I am someone's Biannca! If you know what I mean for peanuts..Time is very important to me...and they would not give me a range but you are right I am going to ask them for a range or throw a large number out there. What peos me off is I know their C-executives are getting 100K plus and man if I am lead system engineer over 10 branch offices and 1billion assets type of place I know they can pay say 85-90K I was going to shoot for 85K and see what they say...I feel 85K is what I would move to a different town for but 75K I can stay here and make that kind of money...
  • Options
    Thanks guys so much for your help you guys rock! very good words...He came to me and called me for that very reason only...which feels kind of good...hee heeI will let you know how it goes
    but I will try what you guys say...
  • Options
    you guys are dead on..Foresaken_GA thanks for that tid bit. I do feel good and secure with my current job and I feel these guys want me but I do not want a job where I am someone's Biannca! If you know what I mean for peanuts..Time is very important to me...and they would not give me a range but you are right I am going to ask them for a range or throw a large number out there. What peos me off is I know their C-executives are getting 100K plus and man if I am lead system engineer over 10 branch offices and 1billion assets type of place I know they can pay say 85-90K I was going to shoot for 85K and see what they say...I feel 85K is what I would move to a different town for but 75K I can stay here and make that kind of money...

Your an IT Manager these days daddy and have been for a while haven't you? Dont low ball!
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally, I don't ever talk salary until they bring it up. Usually, this is at the point where they are ready to present an offer. That way you know that they want to hire you, which is typically decent leverage. At that point, ask for what you want within reasonable expectations based on your experience and such.

Here in the US, unless you are dealing with a third-party recruiter, companies don't typically offer up pay ranges for higher-end jobs. It is typically negotiable.

EDIT: Besides, you are going to want to have an extensive review of their benefits and the associated costs. If their benefits stink, that salary is going to be weaker than it appears... and you will want it adjusted accordingly.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    powerfool wrote: »
    Personally, I don't ever talk salary until they bring it up. Usually, this is at the point where they are ready to present an offer. That way you know that they want to hire you, which is typically decent leverage. At that point, ask for what you want within reasonable expectations based on your experience and such.

I prefer to at least discuss it up front. If we're not anywhere near each other, I don't see the point in wasting each others time with the dance
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I prefer to at least discuss it up front. If we're not anywhere near each other, I don't see the point in wasting each others time with the dance

This right here. If they can't give me at least a ball park figure then stop wasting my time. I'd never play these stupid games with a company. If a company is serious about hiring you they will give you a range.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    This right here. If they can't give me at least a ball park figure then stop wasting my time. I'd never play these stupid games with a company. If a company is serious about hiring you they will give you a range.

Well said. Interviewing is time consuming for everyone. I just can't understand why in 2012 companies still play this game. Most of us at an advanced level will simply tell them to give us a range or go pound sand. It's like when they ask about your current compensation, to which I respond along the lines of "aligned with the market in the area."
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294

Couldn't have said it better..... There's no telling how many times I've interviewed and gotten excited to receive an offer and it be 50% of what I was expecting. Lots of time wasted. Now, I always get that out of the way up front. Give me a pay range idea and then we'll go from there, or I just stay where I am.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    cyberguypr when you said "give us a range or go pound sand" I almost my pants ahhahha omg man that is so freaking funnny..
    yeah cablegod you know they are looking for me, and I think I will ask a range once I see their IT department facilities, then I can ask a bunch of questions and have them meet me on an informal type thing, and then ask or demand nicely a range and if they bite good..but yep I am secure in my job and it seems the more experience I get and the more IT guru friends I make the job offers or nibbles seem to come easily..so yeah thanks so much for the advice men! you dude are so awesome !!
  • Options
    cyberguypr when you said "give us a range or go pound sand" I almost my pants ahhahha omg man that is so freaking funnny..
    yeah cablegod you know they are looking for me, and I think I will ask a range once I see their IT department facilities, then I can ask a bunch of questions and have them meat me on an informal type thing, and then ask or demand nicely a range and if they bite good..but yep I am secure in my job and it seems the more experience I get and the more IT guru friends I make the job offers or nibbles seem to come easily..so yeah thanks so much for the advice men! you dude are so awesome !!

Just decide what you will work for. Then when recruiters or directs approach you ask for the range. If it hits, proceed, if it misses abandon. If no figure given abandon and concentrate on your job for the next 12 months and get results.
  • Options
    turgon thanks good advice...yeah..I have done great here at my job and actually my designs are coming into play now and they have proven lifesavors. I have virtualized almost every server and we use a backups server system that is cost effective and does data level and baremental restores to stand alones and vms...it does restores any which way you want v to p and p to v and p to p and v to v and bare metal with the driver injections on the fly fantastic stuff...and gives me coherent reporting daily that is fast to read. but I am reaching critical payscale mass if you know what I mean and well I would like more PIE please hahahah just alittle more pie..haa but I will choose wisely before I jump and I am sure they will appreciate that as well...see you guys soon.
  • Options
    turgon thanks good advice...yeah..I have done great here at my job and actually my designs are coming into play now and they have proven lifesavors. I have virtualized almost every server and we use a backups server system that is cost effective and does data level and baremental restores to stand alones and vms...it does restores any which way you want v to p and p to v and p to p and v to v and bare metal with the driver injections on the fly fantastic stuff...and gives me coherent reporting daily that is fast to read. but I am reaching critical payscale mass if you know what I mean and well I would like more PIE please hahahah just alittle more pie..haa but I will choose wisely before I jump and I am sure they will appreciate that as well...see you guys soon.

Cool. You are mad as a box of frogs itdaddy. Brush up on the spelling. I hope you dont interview or CV like you post on this place. But it's part of your charm I suppose..a bit like John Gibson on groupstudy who passed his CCIE at the 6th attempt and was mad, or Kasor who isn't mad and just likes to post jive since 2000..but posts much less these days and may finally..be running out of gas. A forgotten stalwart of the various posting communities Kasor who will no doubt be forgotten soon enough.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Know what your worth, know what you want, call the shots. I've never taken a job where I didn't discuss salary early on in the interview process. I don't like wasting my time if they are not going to pay me what I am shooting for. Not knowing your location can't speak much on numbers, here in the bay area $85k is low for an IT manager, I make more than that as a sys admin.
  • Options
    Turgon, thanks yeah I have always been judged for my spelling but thank God I use spell check
    I do not really pay very close attention to it here since it is a forum, maybe I should...
    I probably won't hahhaa but thanks for tip...I guess I look at this forum as a bud place like with your buds
    talking say stufd like weird words you would say to your buds and not really to anyone else this is a place
    I can loosen my tie up. but always a good advice from you man! thanks.

rsutton, yeah I believe 85 K is low tooo man....love california mexian food man! BEST!
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    love california mexian food man! BEST!

lots of Mexicans in the state which means we get lots of good Mexican food. :)
  • Options
    oh yah love it :))) i remember when I was in calif and I use to stop the little bread vans and
    pick up some tacos on the side of the road those vans had the best mexican foon wow! miss that!
  • Options
    I have decided to stay at my job. I think I have leverage to ask for more money.
    I am staying due to my family. It would have paid A LOT more, made me shudder at how much.
    But my dad is old and I spend every Sunday with him watching TV and such. He doesn't have many
    years left and well I feel I need to spend time with him. Funny how money isn't enough just yet.
    Thanks guys. made me feel good that someone would pay me to move, pay my renters, and pay me
    that kindof salary for a lot of work but still was nice to see. Thanks guys for your great advice...
  • Options
    Family always comes first. Better things will come later on, that's for sure.
  • Options
    techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have decided to stay at my job. I think I have leverage to ask for more money.
    I am staying due to my family. It would have paid A LOT more, made me shudder at how much.
    But my dad is old and I spend every Sunday with him watching TV and such. He doesn't have many
    years left and well I feel I need to spend time with him. Funny how money isn't enough just yet.
    Thanks guys. made me feel good that someone would pay me to move, pay my renters, and pay me
    that kindof salary for a lot of work but still was nice to see. Thanks guys for your great advice...

Give us a hint. What was the pay range?
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    wow 85k...
    when I grow up I want to be like you guys lol
    very interesting thread
    I guess thats how things work when you have leverage on your side.
    In my position I dont dare to ask for paying numbers
    I just take what they offer
    meh