The ISACA Set

GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
I just received notice that I passed the CGEIT exam. Now I have the complete ISACA set, CISA, CISM, CRISC, and CGEIT! Just pending the application for the CGEIT.

I studied for the CISA using the Exam Cram back in 2007. I studied for the CISM using the other CISM book mentioned in the CISM thread below. I did buy the ISACA 2011 CRISC Review Manual from the ISACA store for the CRISC, and I used the ISACA 2011 CGEIT Review Manual for the CGEIT.

Geez, what to get now. I already have: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCP+I, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, MOS - Outlook, CISA, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, CISSP, and CIPP/US.

I think next up for me will be CEH, followed by the CCNA, then the CCNA+Security. I have the all in one book for the CEH that was released in 2011, so I will try to waiver out of taking their $2000 dollar course, then study, and crank out the CEH.

Plus I'm doing a MBA with a concentration in InfoSec, so we're good there as well.

Maybe after I get two years architectural experience, I'll go for the ISSAP. Then I'll be done. :)

Comments

• forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    Congrats! What is your career strategy? I have some of the certs you have and I already wished I spent more $ on vacations than certs, memberships, and CPEs.

I'd only suggest you add the PMP to the mix to round out the tech certs with a business cert.
  • GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First, work for a place that will reimburse your membership fees. :p

I know about the PMP, but I would never want to submit myself to project management... it hurts just thinking about it (like accounting).

What I'm looking to do is get experience managing people, and then be a IT security manager, and potentially a director/CISO someday. It's one of the main reasons I'm going for a MBA, and I'm about a third of the way through that.

I do have to balance work with life though... I am going to be a dad in June. And nobody ever said on their deathbed "gee, I wish I spent more time at the office."
  • forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    GoodBishop wrote: »
    First, work for a place that will reimburse your membership fees. :p

Didn't know many places still do this. I actually put up 7% of my annual income just to maintain the certs, memberships, and do CPEs. This time next year I'll have to reconsider what certs to let lapse or find a generous employer ;o)

What I'm looking to do is get experience managing people, and then be a IT security manager, and potentially a director/CISO someday. It's one of the main reasons I'm going for a MBA, and I'm about a third of the way through that.

I do have to balance work with life though... I am going to be a dad in June. And nobody ever said on their deathbed "gee, I wish I spent more time at the office."

Dare I say, being a father is a good experience at managing people. Where are you getting your MBA at? That's my next goal and the only thing I've decided is to EMBA. The costs of these programs do freak me out though.
    Didn't know many places still do this. I actually put up 7% of my annual income just to maintain the certs, memberships, and do CPEs. This time next year I'll have to reconsider what certs to let lapse or find a generous employer ;o)

Dare I say, being a father is a good experience at managing people. Where are you getting your MBA at? That's my next goal and the only thing I've decided is to EMBA. The costs of these programs do freak me out though.
    Keller - all the classes I've taken so far have been worthwhile and I've learned a great deal from them.

But yeah, executive MBA... that's a lot too.

And yes, my company has tuition reimbursement too. I think there are a lot of companies out there that have it, but many people do not take advantage of it.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dare I say, being a father is a good experience at managing people.
    Except as a parent, your kids grow up icon_wink.gif
    paul78 wrote: »
    Except as a parent, your kids grow up icon_wink.gif
    Zing! Good one. :)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice work.

Keep it going!
    N2IT wrote: »
    Nice work.

Keep it going!
    Thank you sir!
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    OK, have to admit that I never heard of the CIPP. Interesting certification and developed in part by, the Ponemon Institute, no less. I drive by Ponemon whenever I am in my old home town of Traverse City, Michigan. Seems like an odd place for a internationally respected institute but its an area where you basically have to bring your own job if you want to live there.

Thanks for listing that cert. Definitely worth looking into if your working at all with privacy.
    beads wrote: »
    OK, have to admit that I never heard of the CIPP. Interesting certification and developed in part by, the Ponemon Institute, no less. I drive by Ponemon whenever I am in my old home town of Traverse City, Michigan. Seems like an odd place for a internationally respected institute but its an area where you basically have to bring your own job if you want to live there.

Thanks for listing that cert. Definitely worth looking into if your working at all with privacy.
    It is a interesting cert - when I took both tests on the same day, everyone else seemed to be a attorney, which was fairly interesting. Lots of people in suits.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It is a interesting cert - when I took both tests on the same day, everyone else seemed to be a attorney, which was fairly interesting. Lots of people in suits.
    It's a common certto carry where I work. Mostly among the attorneys and security and risk folks. I curious - how did you decide between the cipp/it vs the cipp/us.
    I figured that if I got the CIPP/US, I wouldn't need the CIPP/IT, as essentially that would be covered by the CISA, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, and CISSP that I have.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There aren't many with the certification yet because you'd have to head to DC to take the exam if I remember correctly. Sometime in April 2012 the exam will be available through Prometric, which should help increase the number of recipients. Currently around 3,300.

- beads
    beads wrote: »
    There aren't many with the certification yet because you'd have to head to DC to take the exam if I remember correctly. Sometime in April 2012 the exam will be available through Prometric, which should help increase the number of recipients. Currently around 3,300.

- beads
    Not entirely true. I took my test in Chicago - actually I ordered the books a year in advance, and waited until the test came back to Chicago in November of last year.

But yes, I believe in April they will start testing at Prometric, which should increase the numbers.