Thread tracking my PMP study plan

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    N2IT wrote: »
    So far so good. I am waiting till they go to bed usually unless the misses takes them out and then I can use that free time for studying. At work it's usually about 30 mins tops of study time. Thanks for checking in, hopefully I bring techexams a winner!

You are certainly doing well. Keep it up, regularity is the thing!
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I decided to light a fire under my ass and set a dead line. March 31st 2012 is my test date. I have ~2 months to get this straight.
    I'm kind of burnt on the book so I have decided to start taking practice exams and looking at mind maps and process flows of the PMP framework. I will get back to reading, but it's almost like information overload so I am attempting to try to learn another way and burn the proverbial candle from both ends.
    Tonight I am forcing myself to read chapter 5 scope management. I just took another practice exam 10 questions and scored a 90. I took several today at work, one was 60% and then other ranging from 80-100%.

I am feeling better, but still have a long ways to go.
    This is a good thread.

Im a little surprised that you dont get more responses to this thread, but on reflection maybe not. There was a feeding frenzy on PMP as there was on CISSP from about 2003 onwards while people disconnected from the tech bubble burst and tried to move into management functions. PMP and CISSP numbers went through the roof, often obtained by people with marginal experience at best. Since then, those that survived got some and some credibility. Its almost 10 years on now and both certs and functions are oversubscribed. I must have done work for 100 project managers the last 8 years, although interestingly in the UK, non of them were PMP certified as far as I knew.

I think the move for techs to PM has become difficult now as there are so many layers of management and semi-technical management and project management has become a subculture that a lot of technical people look on disparagingly. I suspect many techs have decided to abandon PM as a career option and continue to look at technical roles or supervisory roles of technical people. Which is great for PMs as technical resource is essential to get a project completed.
    Thanks for the support it mean a lot to me.

Tonight I went back over Chapter 5 in the head start book covering some scope management inputs, tools/techniques, and outputs. I made it through gather requirements and define project scope. I am really going through this chapter slooooow. I will speed up once I hit time and cost management. I actually have a lot more real world knowledge in those areas. Every project I have been apart of has had the project scope defined. That's the bad part about working in functional and weak matrix environments.
    Ran through another practice exam 10 questions and then was met by some new coworkers. They seem like great guys so I decided to forego studying and chit chat about technology and business. It was a good time. What's funny is they are clearly technology driven whereas I am more business driven. Still it was a good time.
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I've toyed with eventually going after the PMP (with more PM experience). Seeing what your up against, with your certs and experience is an eye opener. None the less, your progress and determination are very inspirational. Like Turgon said, keep up the study time consistency and you'll nail it come the end of March.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
    onesaint wrote: »
    I've toyed with eventually going after the PMP (with more PM experience). Seeing what your up against, with your certs and experience is an eye opener. None the less, your progress and determination are very inspirational. Like Turgon said, keep up the study time consistency and you'll nail it come the end of March.

I suppose some people find such threads dull, but they can always skip them can't they? Personally I think it's useful for prospective students to get a looking glass into what doing something actually involves and that's only possible when people take the time to diary things. I think Im up to 85+ pages on my thread and it always makes me smile when people drop by.
    Turgon wrote: »
    I suppose some people find such threads dull, but they can always skip them can't they? Personally I think it's useful for prospective students to get a looking glass into what doing something actually involves and that's only possible when people take the time to diary things. I think Im up to 85+ pages on my thread and it always makes me smile when people drop by.

Consider it done ;)

85 pages!
    Yes, they can keep on moving. There's plenty of content on TE. :) These threads are like a road map to achieving a particular goal. One hopes all would be appreciative of the people who take the time to draw out these maps. Seeing these kinds of threads really drives home the amount of work one need put into some certifications. They become a journey more than just following a course.

85 pages!
    Yes, they can keep on moving. There's plenty of content on TE. :) These threads are like a road map to achieving a particular goal. One hopes all would be appreciative of the people who take the time to draw out these maps. Seeing these kinds of threads really drives home the amount of work one need put into some certifications. They become a journey more than just following a course.

I think its 160000+ views now. Certainly popular. Webmaster must like it ;)
    I am currently feeling run down. Head cold is starting to kick in and the customers I was dealing with today wore me out as well. I am going to give it my all and try to get through scope management tonight (Head Start PMP Book).

At the very least I plan on getting through the creating WBS process. This can account for 44 questions from what I have read. Scheduling is very important in the PMP and project management in general. It leads into time and cost management.
    Still in Scope Management LMAO

A few friends called tonight so that took sometime and of course keeping the house clean with two kids is a full time job. However I worked through the WBS processes (inputs, tools/techs/ and outputs). I'll run through them again at work and maybe tomorrow. Every place you look WBS is always considered a high volume test item.

Stayed up anothe hour and went through the WBS and it's accompanying documents. Worked on inputs and outputs again. I am moving onto the scope control process in the scope management knowledge group.
    Still under the weather at the moment. It's hard to read when you keep sneezing in your book. JK, about the in the book part :)

The last two process groups in scope management should move quickly, however I want to recap the WBS processes. This can account for 20-40 questions, I believe I read 44 somewhere so it's incredibly important.

I feel the concepts of the WBS and decomposition are starting to come. I've actually started downloading templates and reviewing them if I don't have them in my portfolio already.

*** I can't stress enough that this exam is for people with experience. I am on the light side and then some. I am more of a project coordinator/expediter in my roles. My last role I had management and decision power and that has been CRITICAL.
    Well I finally did it. I made it through the Scope Management section. It was a bear, but I learned quite a bit, at least I hope ;)

I took the exam at the end of the section 26 questions, I got 20 of the 26 right.

There were a couple that I marked both because it was my second selection so I was on it, but just missed it. Next up is Time Management then Cost Management. These two should move along more quickly. I really enjoy Cost Management so that should be a nice break.

Keep moving forward!

I took a random exam on line which was free. 65 questions, I management to answer 25 of them at work. I ended up getting a 50+% not the score I was looking for, but I have really locked into Scope Management and will be moving forward to the others I mention before. This book is 699 pages I am on 231 now. The plan and hope is once I complete this book I will move on to the Rita PMP Exam Prep book again and then read the PMBOK once more. That should give me at least 2 weeks to just run practice exam after practice exam.

I went out and found two exams that both cost around 99 USD. I'll purchase them both and drill them into my head the last few weeks. I am also going to follow the PMP objective listing for the exam. It's easy to lose sight of the exam objectives when you are reading book after book and taking practice exam after practice exam.
    Today has been pretty busy.

Didn't get a chance to study to much last night and today has been 2-3 pages :/

Going out after work to knock back a few, not to many :)

Hoping to gain some traction on Saturday and Sunday.
    Today has been pretty busy.

Didn't get a chance to study to much last night and today has been 2-3 pages :/

Going out after work to knock back a few, not to many :)

Hoping to gain some traction on Saturday and Sunday.

Enjoy the beers and keep chugging along. How do you find juggling studies and work commitments? Some days I disconnect from studies completely so Im focused on something important at work that needs my time.
    Enjoy the beers and keep chugging along. How do you find juggling studies and work commitments? Some days I disconnect from studies completely so Im focused on something important at work that needs my time.

Sometimes you don't have a choice. I just make sure to make a mental note and document in an email or a note on my iphone to capture it in writing. I deliver more frequently when I document it.
    Took today off read 5 pages just covered some high level processes. i'll get back on the horse tomorrow.
    Woke up feeling fairly refreshed. I was able to read another ~10 pages. I'm starting to get into the heart of time management. Best case scenario I end up getting this chapter completed.
    Squeaked out 15 pages tonight. Covered some basic principals of network diagramming and inputs/tools/outputs for activity resourcing requirements and duration. There are quite a few tools and techniques associated with this knowledge group.

It's critical to take your time and make sure you understand how it all flows. I should finish up tomorrow, I plan on studying at work. This is a monster sized chapter though so it might be pushed back into Tuesday. Heading to bed early tonight, I might be able to catch up on some reading in the AM.
    Today at work it's been popping then it died, but I am not feeling it. I ended up reading 2-3 pages and really focusing on some concepts I already covered. I am going to read a few more pages before I leave for the day. Almost done with Time Management, however I am in the develop schedule so I am taking it really slow and making sure I get this. It's not to terribly difficult, but it's critical to know.
    Woke up feeling good. The plan is to get chapter 3 done today. I should be able to get some of it done at lunch and finish up at home. I find using my lunch is a good way to get a head start on the material and then finishing out so I am not away from the kids and losing large chunks of sleep.

So far this book is pretty high level which concerns me, but it does drill in some of the basic terminology which I find very helpful.

Bit of a ghost town on this thread huh? About 2003 you would have been swarmed with replies as so many techies tried to sideways move into PMP. Many did. PMP numbers, like CISSP numbers went through the roof, but I think a lot of cert holders had marginal PM or security experience at best at the time..

Nearly ten years on and I think the cross trainers from technical field to PM long since left the house. We are all rather slotted into our roles these days! Plus I think so many techies have had encounters with so many PMs the last 10 years it's put them off moving into it. Spreadsheets :)

Good study progress btw!
    Bit of a ghost town on this thread huh? About 2003 you would have been swarmed with replies as so many techies tried to sideways move into PMP. Many did. PMP numbers, like CISSP numbers went through the roof, but I think a lot of cert holders had marginal PM or security experience at best at the time..

Nearly ten years on and I think the cross trainers from technical field to PM long since left the house. We are all rather slotted into our roles these days! Plus I think so many techies have had encounters with so many PMs the last 10 years it's put them off moving into it. Spreadsheets :)

Good study progress btw!

I am buy no means a seasoned PM. I have the required hours from my past engagements, but have never been the man. Always worked as a coordinator usually in a PMO or some projectized organization usually on the seller side. My previous boss really pushed for me to get this, then bam I moved because of my wife. Like I mentioned before I am a transition consultant now for that company working ~10 hours a week now. My main job is smack dab back in support. Supporting Visio, Project, Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint, anything in that suite of tools.

It is what it is, I am going to go through with the PMP certification because I have the hours and it should benefit me. I will say this though, it's been a lot harder to get up for this exam since I am not actively using the processes on any kind of consistent basis. Funny thing is I work with BA's and PM's all day long and knowing what they need helps me assist them in building their reports and creating formulas to calculate statistical data and reporting metrics. I have had at least 7 opportunities to apply for jobs that triple my bill rate and put in a role I am gunning for. But 70 miles one way and 2 children keep me where I am at. It's the constraints that I have been given and I have to deal with them.

I did join the local PMI chapter and plan on attending several meetings to network and to learn.

Thanks for the good will I appreciate it.
    I am buy no means a seasoned PM. I have the required hours from my past engagements, but have never been the man. Always worked as a coordinator usually in a PMO or some projectized organization usually on the seller side. My previous boss really pushed for me to get this, then bam I moved because of my wife. Like I mentioned before I am a transition consultant now for that company working ~10 hours a week now. My main job is smack dab back in support. Supporting Visio, Project, Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint, anything in that suite of tools.

It is what it is, I am going to go through with the PMP certification because I have the hours and it should benefit me. I will say this though, it's been a lot harder to get up for this exam since I am not actively using the processes. Funny thing is I work with BA's and PM's all day long and knowing what they need helps me assist them in building their reports and creating formulas to calculate statistical data and reporting metrics. I have had at least 7 opportunities to apply for jobs that triple my bill rate and put in a role I am gunning for. But 70 miles one way and 2 children keep me where I am at. It's the constraints that I have been given and I have to deal with them.

I did join the local PMI chapter and plan on attending several meetings to network and to learn.

Thanks for the good will I appreciate it.

Good luck with it. Not a lot of call for the PMP in the UK. It's Prince or else play it by ear really.
    N2, how long till your wife's program is done (it was a termed program you all moved for right)? Looking over Indeed the PMP (and experience with it) demands a 6 figure salary in Los Angeles, easy. I would imagine it's like this in most US metro areas. It sounds as if your doing the best you can in the parameters you've been given.

Turgon constantly stresses the need for upper management to be able to communicate with technical staff as well as being well rounded in one's ability to cater to business needs, while retaining the IT savvy. You've got that. More than once, I've seen him mention to you to keep pushing on. Do.

Also, you might keep in close contact with your previous Manger. I see you reference him a lot and check-ins might be benificial to validating your current course.

N2, how long till your wife's program is done (it was a termed program you all moved for right)? Looking over Indeed the PMP (and experience with it) demands a 6 figure salary in Los Angeles, easy. I would imagine it's like this in most US metro areas. It sounds as if your doing the best you can in the parameters you've been given.

My wife took a position up north at a hospital as an RN. She has been here since October I have been here since November.
    Turgon constantly stresses the need for upper management to be able to communicate with technical staff as well as being well rounded in one's ability to cater to business needs, while retaining the IT savvy. You've got that. More than once, I've seen him mention to you to keep pushing on. Do.

You are right, it's easy to get feeling down or sorry for yourself. I should be thankful I work with good people.
    Also, you might keep in close contact with your previous Manger. I see you reference him a lot and check-ins might be benificial to validating your current course.

That's funny you just said that. I spoke to my boss and we both discussed strategy for 2 hours. It was great, I always feel great when I talk to my boss, he is a great guy and really provides a lot of information. We've become friends as well as mentors.
    My wife took a position up north at a hospital as an RN. She has been here since October I have been here since November.

You are right, it's easy to get feeling down or sorry for yourself. I should be thankful I work with good people.

That's funny you just said that. I spoke to my boss and we both discussed strategy for 2 hours. It was great, I always feel great when I talk to my boss, he is a great guy and really provides a lot of information. We've become friends as well as mentors.

I don't think you're feeling sorry for yourself. Taking on massive abstract topics like the those in the PMP can be a huge undertaking. Without regular affirmations stimulating you, it can seem like a daunting task. Having a mentor/peer like your manager (and us awesome TE folk) to back you up and affirm the difficult course of study you're taking can be hugely beneficial and help underpin your success.

Wow, so you guys haven't even really had a chance to settle in yet. Maybe this is a good time to look into an MBA program after the PMP? Possibly this time is an opportunity for more academic pursuits?

I don't think you're feeling sorry for yourself. Taking on massive abstract topics like the those in the PMP can be a huge undertaking. Without regular affirmations stimulating you, it can seem like a daunting task. Having a mentor/peer like your manager (and us awesome TE folk) to back you up and affirm the difficult course of study you're taking can be hugely beneficial and help underpin your success.

Wow, so you guys haven't even really had a chance to settle in yet. Maybe this is a good time to look into an MBA program after the PMP? Possibly this time is an opportunity for more academic pursuits?

It's on the radar. As much as I like certifications I believe besides experience the upper level degree is holding me back. I have ~ 2 years of management experience so it's not like I am complete noob in that realm, but it seems 5 contigious years is perferred and a MBA. Certs almost like icing on the cake except for the PMP and sometimes the ITIL those seem to carry weight like a bachelors degree.

Glad to you see you chiming in I appreciate it! :)