Options

Does it sound like it's time to really find another job?

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
As some of you know, I was really excited when I got my first IT job ever back in June of last year. I had been learning a lot up until maybe a month ago. Now, I only learn something new every "once and a while". Anyway, thats not the point of this thread. As some of you also may know, I'm a contractor employed by a staffing agency. I had been contemplating looking for a new job about two months ago. I figured I'd stick around and see if I could go perm. Well... That never happened and it doesn't look like I'll ever go perm. That is also NOT the point of this thread. Fast forward to about a week ago, someone told me that they "overheard" some supervisors talking about "cutting back" and how all of the perms are safe. I didn't know what to make of it. Now, fast forward to yesterday, and they've canned 13 people on the helpdesk! All of them contractors. It really looks like they are making good on that promise. I don't try and get into gossip, but I was told from someone that it was because of these peoples attendance and QAs. A lot of people are really thinking it is because they are needing to cut back, and the people who are gonna pay for this need are the contractors. They have been offering "voluntary time off" all week, even on crazy busy days too. I feel like I'm ready to move on pass helpdesk, really. I'm just worried that I'll end up on some other helpdesk just bouncing between helpdesk. Whats worse is I fear that they aren't done and they'll do another round of firing and that I may be in the crosshairs. Some of those fired yesterday were really great people! I'm a really great person and the customers are almost always happy with my service. I would really hate to be without a job too. I sorta see this as a chance to finally make a move elsewhere because it's obvious to me (by the way things work around here) that there will be no moving up with this company due to the sole fact that I'm a contractor and they need to cut back. I've got 8 months helpdesk experience, I hope that counts for something!

I'm thinking its time to find another job before I end up in the next wave of contractors to go.
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would definitely start looking, you never know if you're next...especially if you know you're never going to move up. I've been in my 1st IT job for about 6 months and I'm almost in the same boat as you.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is the problem with today's IT world in general, anyone trying to break in has to spend at least a year bouncing from contract to contract before they can even have a shot at a secured perm position. Me personally the company I work for now had originally brought me on as a contractor, 11 months into that I was converted to perm so it does happen from time to time. I would look at it this way, they laid off 16 contractors and you weren't one of them, that's a good sign. I'd probably ask someone in management point blank if they plan on converting anyone else, that's sorta how I was converted, the company needed to bring more people on and I had made it clear when I was first hired as a contractor that I was in it for the perm position and not for just another contract job, they respected that and low and behold I was part of the first wave of contractors to be converted.

Like Yuck said though, it never hurts to start looking. Another thing you can do is let your recruiter know at the company you're contracting through. Just tell them that you see them laying folks off that are contractors and you really want to avoid that. They can either A, give you a heads up if you might be on that list, or B, will start looking for other positions that they have contracts for that you might be a good fit. At the very least they can help you find another position. Keep in mind, the fact that they recruited you for that contract and you were hired on means that you're a good investment for them, technical recruiters are paid by the number of recruits they successfully put into positions, so don't think for a second that they won't work hard to find you another contract if there is the possibility of you losing this one.

Just food for thought there.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    Heh, I emailed them right at the six month mark AND spoke with them about converting to perm. So did several others who started with me. They gave the usual answer of "I added you to the list!" Some of those people got fired today too. Eventually after bringing it up again (not me, someone else did), they gave the answer of "we're not bringing anyone else over right now". Pretty point blank right there. I don't think I've ever seen so many empty seats!
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    JUMP SHIP!

imager.php?id=2004343&t=o

HAHA! icon_lol.gif But seriously though, you should keep an eye out and watch your back. I think it won't hurt to revise your resume now.
  • Options
    JUMP SHIP!

imager.php?id=2004343&t=o

HAHA! icon_lol.gif But seriously though, you should keep an eye out and watch your back. I think it won't hurt to revise your resume now.

Haha, looks like something off the syfy channel. I'm glad I actually have something to put on my resume now. Id rather them just tell us then to suddenly do it.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The company I work for lays off people the day prior. It's not always our fault, as we get orders from clients, client representatives... there's a lot of people that get told before the people getting laid off gets told. It's why I've been putting in so much work for my cert, as a hopeful "Keep investing money in me, and youll get dividends for not needing to hire a contractor"

...and it's really freaking cool!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    That's a tough situation. Based simply on your write up, it seems to me you are safe, for now. What happens if another round comes down the pipe, will you still be safe?

I think it would behoove you to start doing the legwork now. Don't wait until a few Friday's from now as your walking out the door with all your belongings.

It sounds like they kept you for a reason, and you may be safe for a while. But at the same time, if it wasn't for the rumors you mentioned, this would have been a complete blindsided move. What if there are no rumors next time. What I'm trying to say is just position yourself for anything. If you stay on for the next 30 years, cool. You also could be working your final week this week.

Don't wait for them, cover your own a$$.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you haven't been looking start now. That doesn't sound like a very stable environment to be working in. Definitely not a comfortable working environment if you have to fear being laid off all the time. I think people tend to forget employment is a two way street. They should be doing just as much to keep you happy as you are to keep them happy with your performance.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    535irob535irob Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IMO your resume should ALWAYS be up to date and "active", always keep in touch with recruiters etc. etc. You never know when you will need to move on.. But its always better by choice then by force.

To move up from help desk your resume has to reflect the "higher level" work you do / did. It would be extremely hard to land a job as a server admin if your resume only shows "help desk" type work and no server level work.
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "It's always easier to find another job when you already have one!" -- My first boss in IT

I'd update your resume and accelerate working on whatever cert you're currently working on. It's a win/win, the threat of being fired can be a great motivator.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    steve13ad wrote: »
    "It's always easier to find another job when you already have one!" -- My first boss in IT

I'd update your resume and accelerate working on whatever cert you're currently working on. It's a win/win, the threat of being fired can be a great motivator.

Your boss is right.
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Start looking ASAP. You had me ready to say start looking after your first sentence, but an environment where you aren't learning anything coupled with those layoffs is definitely something you don't want to be apart of.
  • Options
    nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    The last company I worked for announced layoffs on Tuesday, Tuesday I had my resume into multiple hands, Thursday got a call, interview on Friday, job offer on Monday. I don't mess around when it comes to rumors of layoffs, they are usually true. You are the only one that really cares where your next meal comes from, and if you have a wife / kids, it is even more pressure, why wait around for something to happen, when you can at least start looking now. For me it really worked out, as the new position has more pay, better hours and is closer to home, ymmv.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly, if I would have been on my game... I would have said that you should always be looking when you have a contract position. It doesn't mean that you need to jump ship whenever you get an offer, but it gives you:

A) Tons of interviewing experience

B) Always keeps the flame stoked, in case you are blind-sided

C) You will get a good feel for employer desires and know what to improve

D) You may just find that position that you want
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    Not much to add because everywhere is giving you 100% good advice. In a contract position you should always be looking for your next move. I once found myself in such a position. A few had already been let go and an older employee told me I better get some interviews soon. Fortunately, I transitioned into a perm position and rejected the counter offer. Within 6 months almost all the contractors and full time guys had been let go.

I'd say you better get some interviews in ASAP and let your boss know you have a doctors appointment. In this business it pays both to maintain good relations inside a company but also outside of it. In your case, you should be scrambling now to find something suitable and that you really want before you're laid off or so in danger of it that you'll take anything just to remain employed. Much better to job search when not under pressure (also usually results in a better fit for everyone).
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    To add on what others here are saying, this applies to perm positions as well. I'm in a good job with good pay with a huge Fortune 500 company and I would say I have good job security but I still refuse to get comfortable and sit idly by. Especially with the economic environment and working for a financial firm. All of my teammates but 1 are doing nothing to build their resumes (all while continually complaining about their job prospects, pay, etc) but I'm finishing up my Bachelors, getting my CISSP soon, and continuing on with other certs. Like was posted previously, you should always have your resume up to date, polished and "active".
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    To add on what others here are saying, this applies to perm positions as well. I'm in a good job with good pay with a huge Fortune 500 company and I would say I have good job security but I still refuse to get comfortable and sit idly by. Especially with the economic environment and working for a financial firm. All of my teammates but 1 are doing nothing to build their resumes (all while continually complaining about their job prospects, pay, etc) but I'm finishing up my Bachelors, getting my CISSP soon, and continuing on with other certs. Like was posted previously, you should always have your resume up to date, polished and "active".

I think you are wise. No doubt inside 5 years some of your peers who sit back and moan about the company not giving them career progression will be marginalised or laid off. The streets is a bad place to hit if you have been flabby for a few years. You have little to offer.
  • Options
    Maybe that part about moaning about the company not giving career progression does apply to me. However, I don't do said moaning at work, only. at home and the forums.

I am working to finish my bachelors in computer science( i'm currently a junior ) and am also working on a few certs with the free time at work. Maybe I'm just expecting things to happen rather quickly.

As for my resume, I haven't touched it since I got this job. That will be changing though.
  • Options
    nava87nava87 Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Adding to the others I would also say make sure your finances are in order. Just in case you are laid off you have some money saved away that will help you pay bills and get you buy until you find another position. Living check to check or scrapping change to make ends meet is not good especially when you have to make sure your suits are clean for interviews, gas or bus fair to get from point A to B and back.
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    Some great information in this thread. I can definitely understand the fear of "moving help desk to help desk", as I'm currently still stuck within that loop. Making sure your resume is up-to-date is absolutely essential, as well as like 535irob said, make sure it emphasizes higher level work that you have done, even if it was only for a certain project and not your routine activities. You need to be able to prove that you are competent and respected enough to be confided with tasks outside of the day-to-day duties as those are definite "selling" points when others review your resume.

Being a contractor should be reason enough to making sure you're ready to move to the next opportunity as you never know what is going to happen. I would definitely start looking in your situation though, and I wish you the best of luck. Tough times out there, good to hear you're still pushing yourself to moving forward though in regards to your education.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i really like that quote your boss said
  • Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    powerfool wrote: »
    Honestly, if I would have been on my game... I would have said that you should always be looking when you have a contract position. It doesn't mean that you need to jump ship whenever you get an offer, but it gives you:

A) Tons of interviewing experience

B) Always keeps the flame stoked, in case you are blind-sided

C) You will get a good feel for employer desires and know what to improve

D) You may just find that position that you want

I like this advice. +1
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed