Options

VCP 5 Upgrade without class until 29 Feb 2012...

jayc71jayc71 Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm contemplating cramming really hard and trying to knock out this exam in 9 days... I wouldn't mind taking the class since I'm sure I would learn from it, but I plan to find a new job within the next year and don't want to owe my company for the cost of the class (that's how our education fund works). I've been working with ESX since 2.5, and for the last 1.5 years have been deploying 4.1 clusters, but only have a little lab experience with vSphere 5. I've got the CBT nuggets vids, a lab, and can tear through a vSphere 5 book in that time if necessary.

Thoughts on whether this is feasible?
CISSP, CCSP, CCSK, Sec+, AWS CSA/Developer/Sysops Admin Associate, AWS CSA Pro, AWS Security - Specialty, ITILv3, Scrummaster, MS, BS, AS, my head hurts.

Comments

• Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    I'm doing the same thing... just started the CBTs yesterday... we'll see what happens. I figure I should at least give it a shot to not have to take the class again.
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    leefdaddy wrote: »
    I'm doing the same thing... just started the CBTs yesterday... we'll see what happens. I figure I should at least give it a shot to not have to take the class again.

That's where I'm at, it's a gamble that I can learn enough to pass it in a short period of time basically. My alternative is to start the new job and try to get them to pay for it.
    CISSP, CCSP, CCSK, Sec+, AWS CSA/Developer/Sysops Admin Associate, AWS CSA Pro, AWS Security - Specialty, ITILv3, Scrummaster, MS, BS, AS, my head hurts.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Should be doable. Just focus on the new stuff like VCSA, Storage appliance, how HA works in vsphere 5, etc.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I'd take a crack at it. I "studied" for a month, and most of that was setting up my lab, which I only got one solid weekend to play with. I've deployed vSphere 5 a couple of times for clients at work, but all of them were using the enterprise license so I never got to put any of the cool new features like sDRS or storage profiles into production. I went in with my general vSphere/VI background knowledge, and passed. But I will say this was a fairly difficult exam.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    As always with a VMware exam, the blueprint document says it all... You can potentially be asked questions about literally any topic/objective in the blueprint. I have some decent VCP5 tips on my blog: VMware Training and Certification
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    scott28tt wrote: »
    As always with a VMware exam, the blueprint document says it all... You can potentially be asked questions about literally any topic/objective in the blueprint. I have some decent VCP5 tips on my blog: VMware Training and Certification

Hi Scott, I've used your site often, thanks for all the help! There is a lot that can be asked on the VCP exams... it's tough to get familiar with all of it without a fairly extensive lab.
  • Options
    jayc71 wrote: »
    Hi Scott, I've used your site often, thanks for all the help! There is a lot that can be asked on the VCP exams... it's tough to get familiar with all of it without a fairly extensive lab.

You're welcome icon_smile.gif And yes, you're right about there being a lot that can be asked, there will be some questions you can only answer if you've physically done what's being asked... Best of luck icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nothing to lose (apart from the fee obvilously) - I didn't have time to study at all, haven't even looked at vSphere 5 and passed with 304 - passed JUST - but pass is a pass - if you are familiar with previous VCP exams then you might just make it - if you crack open a book then you already have an advantage over me :D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    tzoumboytzoumboy Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Quick question, I have the vcp4, can I go and give the exam on the 29th or do I have to do it before that?
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Nothing to lose (apart from the fee obvilously) - I didn't have time to study at all, haven't even looked at vSphere 5 and passed with 304 - passed JUST - but pass is a pass - if you are familiar with previous VCP exams then you might just make it - if you crack open a book then you already have an advantage over me :D

Wow, nice. I'm going with over-preparation as I haven't taken a VMware test yet.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    tzoumboy wrote: »
    Quick question, I have the vcp4, can I go and give the exam on the 29th or do I have to do it before that?

February 29th is the deadline. I would venture that means completing before February 29th, 11:59:59pm.
  • Options
    Thanks QHalo, that's what I assumed as well, just want to verify it so I don't have any surprises. The test centers around me have only 24 or 29 available.
  • Options
    tzoumboy wrote: »

The 29th is the last date where VCP4 holders can gain VCP5 if they pass the VCP510 exam only, from March 1st onwards vSphere 5 training becomes an additional mandatory requirement for a VCP4 holder.
  • Options
    Thank you Scott.
  • Options
    ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    It's absolutely doable. I took the exam today and all the v5 specific stuff was a piece of cake. I just couldn't believe the amount of overlap with the VCP4 exam that I took last month...pretty much the same exam.

Basically, if you're solid on the VCP4 material and could still pass the VCP4 exam with high score, then you should have no problems with VCP5. It shouldn't take more than a week to review any "What's new" material.
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Zentraedi wrote: »
    It's absolutely doable. I took the exam today and all the v5 specific stuff was a piece of cake. I just couldn't believe the amount of overlap with the VCP4 exam that I took last month...pretty much the same exam.

Basically, if you're solid on the VCP4 material and could still pass the VCP4 exam with high score, then you should have no problems with VCP5. It shouldn't take more than a week to review any "What's new" material.

Yepp, I am the best example lol ... You'll pass .. not pretty .. but you pass :D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If worse comes to worse... you can take the CCCT&I "What's New" course for $500. It is online, so no travel necessary.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro