upgrade from MCSA 2003 to MCITP: SA or wait for server 8?

bhs00bhs00 Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am currently studying for 70-291. After I pass that exam I will have MCSA 2003 credentials. After that I don't know what I should do. Should I go ahead and take the 2 exams for 2008 MCITP: SA or should I wait to see if there is a an upgrade path to MCITP: SA or whatever they will call it for Server 8 or whatever it will be called? I changed jobs last July and do not have server rights in my current role (salesforce admin). However, I do want to get back into server administration so it isn't a question of what the company uses.

Also, how long will it take Microsoft to start giving exams on the new server once it is released?

Comments

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wouldn't wait. Take your 70-648 to knock out two of the MCTS certs. From there, finish either SA or EA. The Windows 8 certifications might not be released for over nine months, and the current exams are still going to be valid. However, you can bet there won't be a 2003 to Windows 8 upgrade path, so get your MCSA updated while you still can.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I wouldn't wait. Take your 70-648 to knock out two of the MCTS certs. From there, finish either SA or EA. The Windows 8 certifications might not be released for over nine months, and the current exams are still going to be valid. However, you can bet there won't be a 2003 to Windows 8 upgrade path, so get your MCSA updated while you still can.

I agree with ptilsen. I know guys that have the 2000 MCSE and have had to upgrade to 2003 then do the EA upgrade as theres no direct upgrade path. So get the SA done and then wait and see what Windows 8 Brings........
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'