The Agony of Choice

cisco_dogcisco_dog Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey, first post, so er, Hi.

Current job is ending next week. Been working at a large hospital in the UK for the last 5 months as a Network Engineer, first job since I graduated. On the waiting list for an operation at the moment so not looking for employment straight away (its the NHS so it'll probably be about 8 years away) so thought I would get (or try to get :)) a qualification or two.
I did have CCNA which has expired so will be retaking that but feel I need one or two others from different fields to give myself a better chance in the real world. I think I want to look at getting into a general support role and then in 5 or so years go back to networks as the main focus.
So if anyone has any advice it would be great, pointing me in the right direction etc, Im probably going to be using this forum a lot over the next 6 months or so, looking forward to it.

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I personally recommend you focus on networking and use your CCNA and 6 months of experience to get another networking job and move from there. CCNA then CCNP or whatever you find yourself working with and enjoying. Good luck
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I second that.

I've been in the jack of all trades, generalist areas and its hard to get back into a certain area. I've been told by several senior admins to specailize. Since you already have a foot in the door with networking, I would continue with it. You could also do security afterwards since they can go hand in hand.

I had more calls after getting my CCNA than any other degree\certification on my resume.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • cb3dwacb3dwa Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    where in the uk do u work?
  • jcole4lsujcole4lsu Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cisco_dog wrote: »
    On the waiting list for an operation at the moment so not looking for employment straight away (its the NHS so it'll probably be about 8 years away) so thought I would get (or try to get :)) a qualification or two.

I appologize in advance for the total off topic hijack but.... are you saying you are on the waiting list to get a medical procedure and said wait is going to be approx 8 years?
  • cisco_dogcisco_dog Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jcole4lsu wrote: »
    I appologize in advance for the total off topic hijack but.... are you saying you are on the waiting list to get a medical procedure and said wait is going to be approx 8 years?

I was messing around (im such a laugh!), and a bit unfairly as since I made the original post the NHS paid for me to go private and I had the procedure done yesterday (and am now wearing very baggy trousers lol)
  • cisco_dogcisco_dog Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cb3dwa wrote: »
    where in the uk do u work?

I did work in Exeter, live near Plymouth, trying to find work nearer London or just somewhere thats not the south west.

I need to get my CCNA back on the CV asap, I have been honest and taken it off my CV as its expired, since I have done that I might as well be sending people a blank piece of paper.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cisco_dog wrote: »
    I did work in Exeter, live near Plymouth, trying to find work nearer London or just somewhere thats not the south west.

I need to get my CCNA back on the CV asap, I have been honest and taken it off my CV as its expired, since I have done that I might as well be sending people a blank piece of paper.

Put CCNA back on. It expired but you made the grade once. If challenged about it's live status come clean and say you are preparing for it again.
  • Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    Turgon wrote: »
    Put CCNA back on. It expired but you made the grade once. If challenged about it's live status come clean and say you are preparing for it again.

I second this. Or just put CCNA (Expired) on your CV. It shows you have had it. It will/Should help you get a call for a job. Good luck Bro not many jobs down south at mo.
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I second this. Or just put CCNA (Expired) on your CV. It shows you have had it. It will/Should help you get a call for a job. Good luck Bro not many jobs down south at mo.

Attempting CCNA, as well as an Expired CCNA is oftentimes good enough to most people from what i've seen - Unless they require the certification for an incentive.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams