Options

DS3 Question

wrwarwickwrwarwick Member Posts: 104
Hey All,

Quick question related to a project I am on at work. We have a customer who is upgrading from a 4.5 Mbps (3 T1s) to a 15 Mbps MPLS connection. The quote I received from the provider indicates that this will be a DS3 connection over coax cable.

My question is - will I need the NM-1T3/E3 module for the router to handle this connection (we are using a 2921)? Also, out of curiosity, what is a standard media/handoff type for a 15 Mbps line?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Just ask the provider. It could be any of a number of hand offs and I'd hate to see you waste money on the wrong gear from what someone here suggested. Trust me, they will be more than willing to suggest CPE. It makes their life easier!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    wrwarwickwrwarwick Member Posts: 104
    Just ask the provider. It could be any of a number of hand offs and I'd hate to see you waste money on the wrong gear from what someone here suggested. Trust me, they will be more than willing to suggest CPE. It makes their life easier!

I have confirmed that its coax from the provider. I'm just thinking ahead because the card is $8,000 (list) and I know the customer will bring that up.

I'll probably just see if we can get Metro E or something similar.
  • Options
    jude56gjude56g Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would simply ask the provider to hand you an Ethernet connection. Regardless of the backhaul they are using, even if its copper back to their CO most modern provider equipment (all I have seen anyway) supports 10/100/1000 on the customer edge. Think of the cost savings of not having to purchase that DS3 card! Let us know how that pans out..
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    jude56g wrote: »
    I would simply ask the provider to hand you an Ethernet connection. Regardless of the backhaul they are using, even if its copper back to their CO most modern provider equipment (all I have seen anyway) supports 10/100/1000 on the customer edge. Think of the cost savings of not having to purchase that DS3 card! Let us know how that pans out..

Well, it all depends on the infrastructure that the provider supports. Assuming his client is in Atlanta like he is, then he certainly has the option of picking up a MetroE. I'm curious as to who the provider is, there aren't many in this area still offering a coax handoff.
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've had terrible experience with DS3. Somewhere along the way there was ATM and other legacy points involved... They were capping the line because too many customers were utilizing it. We just went straight ethernet and low and behold, drops/latency/jitter/everything was resolved. To be fair tho, the vendor failed to communicate to us a lot of their backend details... Or the throttling.
    :twisted: