Linux+ exam advice

ronni_linuxronni_linux Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am about to take Linux + CompTia LX0-01. I am studying Linux + Complete study guide by Sybex. This is the only book i am using. Has anybody here taken the exam? and share his/her thoughts about it? Any recommendations
Wish me luck
Thanks,

Comments

• ronni_linuxronni_linux Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am also preparing from TestOut LabSim simulation
  • I am about to take Linux + CompTia LX0-01. I am studying Linux + Complete study guide by Sybex. This is the only book i am using. Has anybody here taken the exam? and share his/her thoughts about it? Any recommendations
    Wish me luck
    Thanks,
    That's the book I used; I passed the exam this morning.
  • jarebhjarebh Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I take the exam tomorrow. Were there any questions about Samba configuration on the test? I have seen conflicting reports on this.
    I have passed the first exam LXO-01...with 600 Score....now getting ready for LXO-02
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Is LabSim a kit or is it used on line? Did you rely on the book or LabSim? Thanks.
  • paul9mmpaul9mm Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have passed the first exam LXO-01...with 600 Score....now getting ready for LXO-02

Congrats on passing, at moment registered for the first exam in a month. I'm self-studying with 2 others, using McGraw Hil 2011 Linux+ as core texts and CBT Nuggets & Trainsignal videos. Any suggestions for what we can expect? Have already passed A= and Network+ but all we keep hearing is just how difficult the Linux+ course is by comparison!

By the way, the number of questions (55, 90 mins) is a lot less than A+ or Network+, are the questions given different weights for exam?
    Thanks,
    Paul
    paul9mm wrote: »
    Congrats on passing, at moment registered for the first exam in a month. I'm self-studying with 2 others, using McGraw Hil 2011 Linux+ as core texts and CBT Nuggets & Trainsignal videos. Any suggestions for what we can expect? Have already passed A= and Network+ but all we keep hearing is just how difficult the Linux+ course is by comparison!

By the way, the number of questions (55, 90 mins) is a lot less than A+ or Network+, are the questions given different weights for exam?
    Thanks,
    Paul

There are fill in the blank questions, I have trained myself with Trainsignal Videos and Sybex book
    brownwrap wrote: »
    Is LabSim a kit or is it used on line? Did you rely on the book or LabSim? Thanks.

Trainsignal Videos were good, it was equivalent to Sybex book i think

Thanks for the info, am using the TrainSignal videos now, as hard to follow at first until I read the core texts.
    Have a straight month to exam and starting to use the videos combined with hands on with CLI commands.
    Paul
  • techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently studying for it too. Is it easy to get in for an exam quickly, or is it important to schedule it way ahead of time. Also, can both exams be taken at once?
    I'm currently studying for it too. Is it easy to get in for an exam quickly, or is it important to schedule it way ahead of time. Also, can both exams be taken at once?

Yeah you can take them both at once, I have scheduled via Pearson VUE and there are lots of options for dates to schedule, I dont think you have to schedule way ahead of it.
    Yeah you can take them both at once, I have scheduled via Pearson VUE and there are lots of options for dates to schedule, I dont think you have to schedule way ahead of it.

Interesting, as we are taking the 101 exam first and planning to take the 102 a week later.
    All we read is that the first exam is a killer (high fail rate) and the second exam is more straightforward. How did you find time management for the exam? I ask as while the A+ and Network+ were 100 questions in 90 mins, the same time with less questions for L+ sounds a lot more tricky to juggle.
    Planning a month to the exam as a means of being focused on a specific end point. While we have been studying for last month, being a small group (4) and using Skype has meant we have been less than focused on the course specifics.

BTW, how much time were you hitting for CLI drills? As with A+ and to lesser degree, Network+, is it a case of rote learning terms, formulas and examples?
    Thanks again,
    Paul
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

Ronni can you pass with just the transignal videos and labbing?
  • techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Ronni can you pass with just the transignal videos and labbing?

I've not taken the exam yet, but I'm almost through the first Trainsignal dvd and I would have to say that if I could pass the 101 exam with only the info I have learned from the video, that would be one easy exam. I definitely think I'll need more than just this video, honestly.

More important to me than passing the exam though, will be actually knowing the stuff and being able to do the jobs I plan to apply for. Right now I don't feel I could accomplish a whole lot in linux within a reasonable amount of time.
    I've not taken the exam yet, but I'm almost through the first Trainsignal dvd and I would have to say that if I could pass the 101 exam with only the info I have learned from the video, that would be one easy exam. I definitely think I'll need more than just this video, honestly.

More important to me than passing the exam though, will be actually knowing the stuff and being able to do the jobs I plan to apply for. Right now I don't feel I could accomplish a whole lot in linux within a reasonable amount of time.

Good point

That's why I mentioned CLI/lab as well. That to me has got to be the biggest component of your studies. That's where the rubber meets the road.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The Train Signal video's give you about 80-90% of the material..you still need to lab and use other resources.

Just to understand where I am coming from..watch the video's from Train Signal (only that)..then use the Transcender exam that comes along with it...and see what you get. I doubt you will pass. The video's have good information but you definitely need other sources. IMHO
    The Train Signal video's give you about 80-90% of the material..you still need to lab and use other resources.

Just to understand where I am coming from..watch the video's from Train Signal (only that)..then use the Transcender exam that comes along with it...and see what you get. I doubt you will pass. The video's have good information but you definitely need other sources. IMHO

Thanks for the reply. I have Robb H Tracy Linux + book already. Do you think that with trans signal is enough to pass. Of course labbing as well.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeah that will be enough for sure.