CEHv8 already?

the4tressthe4tress Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was just reading on the EC|Council portal and somebody said that CEHv8 is coming out this year. I can't find anything on EC|Council's web site about this. Has anybody heard anything?

Thanks,

- Ryan

Comments

• chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    sounds like rubbish , they just release v7 several months ago.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    the4tress wrote: »
    I was just reading on the EC|Council portal and somebody said that CEHv8 is coming out this year. I can't find anything on EC|Council's web site about this. Has anybody heard anything?
    The EC-Council tries to release an update of the CEH exam every 18 months or so, and CEHv7 came out in June 2011(?), so end of this year sounds about right for CEHv8. The CEHv7 exam will likely still be available up to six months after the CEHv8 exam is release.

The people at cccure.org are buddy-buddy with the EC-Council, so you might try looking for CEHv8 info in the forums over there. Post back here any definitive gossip you find. ;)
  • madmausmadmaus Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Rubbish or not, thanks for the heads up! I am hoping to take CEHv7 before CEHv8 gets out there. Need to hit the books! icon_study.gif
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Sounds like a marketing ploy. But I can definitely see EC-Council releasing this new version 8. Its needed....
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Pinky&TheBrainPinky&TheBrain Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Yeah, its true. As of yesterday, CEHv8 is now officially available. I am highly annoyed. I just finished my two week course for CEHv7 and was about to take the test when I saw that. WTF?!?!? Nothing is more annoying than prepping for a test just to find out that once you take it, it will already be out-dated :-/
  • the4tressthe4tress Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□

Good find. Thanks for the link.
    the_hutch wrote: »
    Nothing is more annoying than prepping for a test just to find out that once you take it, it will already be out-dated :-/
    It creates a double-edged marketing sword when a version number is included in the name of the certification. Maybe they thought including the version number would create a desire within current CEH cert holders to "upgrade" to the latest CEH cert version. I don't think it has worked out like that tho.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    It creates a double-edged marketing sword when a version number is included in the name of the certification. Maybe they thought including the version number would create a desire within current CEH cert holders to "upgrade" to the latest CEH cert version. I don't think it has worked out like that tho.

I'm still on v6. There's no way I'm going to upgrade it. I would rather get additional certs, like GCIA or GPEN.

It sucks they come out with them so fast. A friend of mine is studying for v7 and already bought all the books and everything...
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah, its true. As of yesterday, CEHv8 is now officially available. I am highly annoyed. I just finished my two week course for CEHv7 and was about to take the test when I saw that. WTF?!?!? Nothing is more annoying than prepping for a test just to find out that once you take it, it will already be out-dated :-/

i feel your pain, that is why i will never waist my time on this exam. I will just go for OSCP.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    chrisone wrote: »
    i feel your pain, that is why i will never waist my time on this exam. I will just go for OSCP.

Ha...yeah, I appreciate your condolences :D. I actually had considered OSCP. The course for OSCP looks awesome (and I love the idea of a hands-on test), but it doesn't have nearly the reputation or notariety that CEH has. To be honest, I think an outdated CEH cert would probably be more desirable to employers than OSCP. If you look through security job listings, a large number of them will list CEH as required or preferred...but I've never seen OSCP listed on any.
    I'm still on v6. There's no way I'm going to upgrade it. I would rather get additional certs, like GCIA or GPEN.

It sucks they come out with them so fast. A friend of mine is studying for v7 and already bought all the books and everything...

Yeah, I wish I had just spent money on books. I spent $1700 on the official course :-/. I probably won't upgrade mine either.
    EC-Council really doesn't release a new version of the CEH very often. It's been in the 18-24 month range, and the old exam is usually available for six months after the new exam is released. The problem is that people pursuing certifications don't realize that most certs are periodically updated and, before starting to study for any certification, they should check when the next version of the cert if due to be released. That's a lesson that can be learned the hard way if you don't spend time doing pre-certification research at places like TE. :)
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ha...yeah, I appreciate your condolences :D. I actually had considered OSCP. The course for OSCP looks awesome (and I love the idea of a hands-on test), but it doesn't have nearly the reputation or notariety that CEH has. To be honest, I think an outdated CEH cert would probably be more desirable to employers than OSCP. If you look through security job listings, a large number of them will list CEH as required or preferred...but I've never seen OSCP listed on any.

I think you're wrong here. But it depends on what kind of position you are looking for. If you want to be a regular security guy, then CEH may work for you, but if you want to do pentesting or a job that wants you to perform those duties, you want OSCP.
    SephStorm wrote: »
    I think you're wrong here. But it depends on what kind of position you are looking for. If you want to be a regular security guy, then CEH may work for you, but if you want to do pentesting or a job that wants you to perform those duties, you want OSCP.

This may be true. I can't speak much of industry expectations beyond what I've seen in job listings. Currently I'm just a lowly enlisted troop performing a level 2 helpdesk function. I'm hoping to have CEH, ECSA, LPT and CISSP within the next year so I can hopefully find something better when I get out. Has anyone here actually taken OSCP? I'm seriously concerned as to whether the course is even well-maintained, since I've had difficulty even being able to get in contact with the team from offensive-security.com
    Take a look here and over at ethicalhacker.net You'll find plenty of reviews attesting to the quality. I can't tell you when it was last updated, but it is respected.
  • gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    EC-Council really doesn't release a new version of the CEH very often. It's been in the 18-24 month range, and the old exam is usually available for six months after the new exam is released. The problem is that people pursuing certifications don't realize that most certs are periodically updated and, before starting to study for any certification, they should check when the next version of the cert if due to be released. That's a lesson that can be learned the hard way if you don't spend time doing pre-certification research at places like TE. :)

Well said icon_wink.gif

I received from EC-Council an email that confirms their CEH v8 and ANSI Accreditation

AMERICAN NATIONAL STANDARDS INSTITUTE (17024) It is with great pride and pleasure that we announce to you EC-Council has officially attained the ANSI 17024 Accreditation for Certified Ethical Hacker V8, joining an elite group of global institutions that have this prestigious accreditation. This was a commitment made by EC-Council a few years ago and a vision that was crystal clear to all of EC-Council's stakeholders.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Take a look here and over at ethicalhacker.net You'll find plenty of reviews attesting to the quality. I can't tell you when it was last updated, but it is respected.

I don't think ethicalhacker.net wants anything to do with me. I tried to register for their site, and apparently before they finalize your account, they send you your username and password back to you in an email...IN PLAINTEXT. I emailed the administrator back and gave him **** for having a security website that does this. I never received a reply...and they also never finalized my account icon_sad.gif. Oops...lol

The reddit community thought it was pretty entertaining
    Information security? **** seriously??????? : iiiiiiitttttttttttt
    gabypr wrote: »
    AMERICAN NATIONAL STANDARDS INSTITUTE (17024)
    This is so EC-Council can get CEH approved for the next release of DoD Directive 8570.01.
    I know this is an older thread, but I found this, looking for the reference. Interesting how some people were claiming there would be upgrades and fixes. Somehow I doubt it.
    ah..found the answer.. basically the same with v7:

EC-Council has released the new CEH v8 certification and with this being relatively close and on the tail of the CEH v7, people want to know what the deai is with this back to back change.
    The Certified Ethical Hacker Version 8 only differs by name and test delivery from the Version 7. The change came because of the ANSI accreditation that the EC-Council went through. The ANSI accreditation required a few, more stringent, delivery techniques in the certification exam process. To be more specific, the ANSI accreditation required that the CEH v8 exam was delivered to each and every student with the same set of guidelines and proctoring procedures. Since the CEH v7 came out prior to the ANSI accreditation, the guidelines were not in place and therefore a new version of the CEH was required.
    The CEH v8 does not have any different content or courseware from the CEH v7. Since the CEH Version 8 is the same content as v7, it will not be "launched" or even promoted like the pervious version.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As I always say, I probably wouldn't waste my cash on this. But if you already have it, as long as you are keeping up with your continuing education credits then your cert is valid regardless of version.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    oh so i gotta study again ?
    Only if you want the newest version. The older versions are still valid. I have v6 and I'm just keeping up with my CPEs.
  • albinkalbink Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I bought two books:
    CEH Certified Ethical Hacker: Exam Guide
    Official Certified Ethical Hacker Review Guide: Version 7.1
    Do you have any feedback if these two books will be enough to prepare CEH v8 ?
    CEH v8 certified could give some feedback about how many time did you pass before pass your exam with which support ?
    I passed my first certification Comptia Security+ last week and I have no idea if this one will be more difficult, feedback are welcome.
  • crashdumpcrashdump Banned Posts: 134
    albink wrote: »
    I bought two books:
    CEH Certified Ethical Hacker: Exam Guide
    Official Certified Ethical Hacker Review Guide: Version 7.1
    Do you have any feedback if these two books will be enough to prepare CEH v8 ?
    CEH v8 certified could give some feedback about how many time did you pass before pass your exam with which support ?
    I passed my first certification Comptia Security+ last week and I have no idea if this one will be more difficult, feedback are welcome.

I read only one book: CEH Certified Ethical Hacker All-in-One Exam Guide (ISBN-10: 0071772294 | ISBN-13: 978-0071772297). This book was enough to pass the exam.

I prepared 20 hours only. IMHO the CEH exam is simple, maybe a little bit harder than Security+ (because Security+ is less practical).

HTH
  • QuantumstateQuantumstate Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I emailed and they responded today that v8 is not available until 2013.
    Pretty sure this thread was in response to EC-Council's announcement of v8 on their website, which happened some time ago.
    It was in reply to a thread they had on their portal, but nobody was replying there so I came here.
  • hardstylewonhardstylewon Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gabypr wrote: »
    Well said icon_wink.gif

I received from EC-Council an email that confirms their CEH v8 and ANSI Accreditation

AMERICAN NATIONAL STANDARDS INSTITUTE (17024) It is with great pride and pleasure that we announce to you EC-Council has officially attained the ANSI 17024 Accreditation for Certified Ethical Hacker V8, joining an elite group of global institutions that have this prestigious accreditation. This was a commitment made by EC-Council a few years ago and a vision that was crystal clear to all of EC-Council's stakeholders.

Sick. Im pretty excited. I think it will be better.