New CCNA Security Test

Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
So after poking around the Cisco cert website it appears that they have come out with a new CCNA Security test: IINS v2.0.
https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13753

Looks like they got rid of the SDM finally in favor of the CCP and added a bit more about firewall and ASA configuration.

All and all i say it looks interesting, what is everyone else s thoughts on this?
WGU BS IT - Security
Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
Completed: CUV1 CTV1
Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    About damn time they removed the SDM!

Some IPv4 to IPv6 in there to.

Including the ASA is nice, puts it more incline the CCNP: Security
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They come out with it AFTER I pass it? Grrrrr... Ah well, if all goes well with my current cert plans, I'll be able to take the Current CCNP Security track for a whirl. :)
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • PuffyPuffy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    O niceeee. Was waiting for a new revision of the exam before I pursued it. Hopefully the study materials will be out by year end.
    spicy ahi wrote: »
    They come out with it AFTER I pass it? Grrrrr... Ah well, if all goes well with my current cert plans, I'll be able to take the Current CCNP Security track for a whirl.

CCNP:S will be getting an update as well in the next few months.
    My Networking blog
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yeah, after taking this earlier this year I knew it had to be due for a refresh soon. Sucks that it happened so soon after I passed it, but I imagine I will come back and hit it up later. Still, I learned a lot from the current version, so it wasn't all wasted.

So glad to see SDM go. Way too much drama for folks trying to set it up for labbing purposes. The CCP works well, so that should remove one roadblock from those studying this in the future.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    CCNP:S will be getting an update as well in the next few months.

CCNA Security and CCNP Security Updated
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I guess I get to hurry up and try to reach CCNA: Security before September.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SteveO86 wrote: »
    About damn time they removed the SDM!

Some IPv4 to IPv6 in there to.

Including the ASA is nice, puts it more incline the CCNP: Security

That right there is going to make it more expensive to prepare for. Kind of surprised they added that, but maybe I shouldn't be?
  • fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    Now it looks good! I might go for this one.
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Was there an expiration date of the current exam? I put a hold on the studying for it to get my VCP. I finished the CBTs and I recently got the lab book so I would like to take the current exam.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Was there an expiration date of the current exam? I put a hold on the studying for it to get my VCP. I finished the CBTs and I recently got the lab book so I would like to take the current exam.

The old exam expires on the 30th of September and the new one takes effect the day after on the 1st of October.
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
    Puffy wrote: »
    O niceeee. Was waiting for a new revision of the exam before I pursued it. Hopefully the study materials will be out by year end.

end of the year? I hope somebody already working on it. :D
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    Yeah, after taking this earlier this year I knew it had to be due for a refresh soon. Sucks that it happened so soon after I passed it, but I imagine I will come back and hit it up later. Still, I learned a lot from the current version, so it wasn't all wasted.

So glad to see SDM go. Way too much drama for folks trying to set it up for labbing purposes. The CCP works well, so that should remove one roadblock from those studying this in the future.

I thought that when I took the exam a year and a half ago.
    That right there is going to make it more expensive to prepare for. Kind of surprised they added that, but maybe I shouldn't be?

Yea ASA 5505's typically go for 300-400 bucks.
    My Networking blog
  • mikerangermikeranger Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    does this mean that the 640-553 will be a retired exam already??
    mikeranger wrote: »
    does this mean that the 640-553 will be a retired exam already??

No, it does not.
    640-553 IINS
    Last day to test:
    September 30, 2012
  • thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, even though i couldn't run the SDM properly with the appropriate java version and the web browser, i think that September is too late for me. I should somehow to execute this app.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thedrama wrote: »
    Well, even though i couldn't run the SDM properly with the appropriate java version and the web browser, i think that September is too late for me. I should somehow to execute this app.

According to the Pearson Vue website, you can take the 640-554 exam now.
    alan2308 wrote: »
    According to the Pearson Vue website, you can take the 640-554 exam now.
    Can you provide a link to that information?

The Cisco site seems to imply that you can sign up for the new CCNA:Security v2.0 exam now, but it won't be available to actually take until October 1, 2012. I'd like to know what's really what on these dates.
    You can schedule 640-554 on vue.com for any time. So until sept 30 you can choose between 553 and 554.
    Cisco's site says if you have scheduled 553 exam on October 1 or later, you should prepare for 554.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Can you provide a link to that information?

The Cisco site seems to imply that you can sign up for the new CCNA:Security v2.0 exam now, but it won't be available to actually take until October 1, 2012. I'd like to know what's really what on these dates.

I haven't seen anything listing an actual availability date, but the Pearson Vue site says I can take it as soon as tomorrow morning.

screenshot-1.jpg
  • thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dynamips within SDM is a killer to my computer. It just ramped up the CPU %100. I successfully launched it first time and explored menus. However, that time there were running only one router. Now SDM is just locked up and hour of glass keeps filling. Thats a pain in the ass.

Apart from this, i identified some foolish things with GNS3.

If im not doing wrong, even though routing works, i can not ping from remote network to loopback, reverse and to the computers from their gateways. Besides, i can "only ping" from loopback to the attached interface for example if loopback is 172.16.0.11 and the attached
    interface has 172.16.0.1, thats it. Only these can communicate each other. None of the others.

Additionally, i used VPCS to assign IP addresses to hosts. They can only ping their local interface but not their gateways.

Am i wrong?
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• mikerangermikeranger Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    just a question... how can u take the 640-554 if there are no available certification guides for it??? is there a study material already?? thanks
    If you want to take it, I dont think it's impossible to prepare for the exam without certification guide. You have to make a little research, use the avaible sources like other cisco books or cisco's site. The new topics in the CCNA Security only new for this cert...
    It's likely there is no material in 640-554 that's not already in a Cisco Press or O'Reilly Cisco book, or on Cisco's Web site. Waiting for the official cert guides would be only a convenience.
    fsanyee wrote: »
    If you want to take it, I dont think it's impossible to prepare for the exam without certification guide. You have to make a little research, use the avaible sources like other cisco books or cisco's site. The new topics in the CCNA Security only new for this cert...

There's always new exams out that there's no certification guide out for yet. Especially in Cisco's security track.
    alan2308 wrote: »
    There's always new exams out that there's no certification guide out for yet. Especially in Cisco's security track.

It did take a while for the 642-874 CCDP Information to get out there.
    My Networking blog
    JDMurray wrote: »
    It's likely there is no material in 640-554 that's not already in a Cisco Press or O'Reilly Cisco book, or on Cisco's Web site. Waiting for the official cert guides would be only a convenience.

I know that. What i'm saying is, you can learn about every new topic somewhere. For example if you want to know more about ASA which is new in CCNA:S, pick an ASA book, there is a lot out there, and I'm sure they all contain enough information to cover CCNA:S ASA topics. It's harder and more exprensive to do this way, but it's not impossibile.
  • mochaaddictmochaaddict Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    fsanyee wrote: »

CCNA Security 640-554 Official Cert Guide: Cisco Press. Looks like you can get "rough cut" online/pdf now, but have to wait for the hardcover to ship in late June.