elearnsecurity course

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
I've been looking at elearnsecurity for a while now because I would like to start learning about penetration testing and so I can get a better understanding of security. I was wondering if anyone has completed any course through this company recently? I'm thinking about starting with the beginner course just so that it will help me when I get into the professional level course. I signed up for a demo of the beginner course and I'll go over it when I get home.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have the professional level course, though I have not completed it. I liked it over all, you still should/need to do some research on your own, but the videos are pretty good and so are the slides. Definitely a good thing to complete if you plan to go for OSCP at some point.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for the input the Grinch!!! I've been trying to watch your post on the course. I had read that you did not complete the course yet. I wanted to ask you if you had started back up but I was waiting for a little while to ask you about it.

I don't mind doing the research on my own. I've actually started to try to learn assembly and python. I think that learning some 'c' will help me too. I brought the Metasploit book and I started to read it. Its very helpful but I can't do some of the things because I think they wrote the book while in backtrack. I've also been following the CEH book because that's another certification I would like to get.

I had went over the syllabus for the beginner course and I found some stuff that I already knew about but other things that I've never heard of so I'm excited to start this course as soon as possible. I just gotta figure out whats up with VMware on my computers. My computer is going crazy and it won't let me install VMware or Virtual Box.

Do you have any plan on starting the course back up soon?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    Yeah at some point I will start back up again and take the exam. Sorting out some life stuff first though ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • listerlister Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to interrupt but is this considered as a kinda beginners course - the elearnSecurity course?
    They offer a beginner's course, so if you feel like you're a total beginner I'd take that first. This course I would say is a midlevel course, not quite OSCP, but definitely beyond CEH. If I were to order it

Security+
    CEH
    eLearnSecurity eCPPT
    OSCP
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    lister wrote: »
    Sorry to interrupt but is this considered as a kinda beginners course - the elearnSecurity course?

This is the link to the course.

Penetration testing course Student
    Booya!!
    So I went over half of the demo for the course and it's alright. Its different from being in class and the teacher doing the slideshows. The only problem is that from the demo, I would have to have two monitors. One to view the video and the other to follow along. I'll go over the over half later on.
    Booya!!
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So I went over half of the demo for the course and it's alright. Its different from being in class and the teacher doing the slideshows. The only problem is that from the demo, I would have to have two monitors. One to view the video and the other to follow along. I'll go over the over half later on.

I bought a 2nd monitor after I started studying for security/pentesting/forensics/malware...I'm debating about getting a third monitor.

Monitor #1: video
    Monitor#2: microsoft word for notes
    Monitor #3: command line, programs..etc

It's definitely a good investment.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I bought a 2nd monitor after I started studying for security/pentesting/forensics/malware...I'm debating about getting a third monitor.

Monitor #1: video
    Monitor#2: microsoft word for notes
    Monitor #3: command line, programs..etc

It's definitely a good investment.

What size are your monitors? I have two 20 inchers that I use comfortably with everything you mentioned (except OneNote instead of word).
    My laptop is 17" and my 2nd monitor is 23".
    I know eCPPT would be a good transition into OSCP but is spending the 600 for eCPPT worth it, if you're going to take OSCP right after it?
    There will be advantages and disadvantages, a big one is having to write a report. Nice to have one under your belt if you aren't doing pen testing for a living. Also, if you are lacking in some skill areas, it will nice to get a review of material from an alternative source. $600 is a lot and if you believe you have the needed skills you can bypass eCPPT.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    There will be advantages and disadvantages, a big one is having to write a report. Nice to have one under your belt if you aren't doing pen testing for a living. Also, if you are lacking in some skill areas, it will nice to get a review of material from an alternative source. $600 is a lot and if you believe you have the needed skills you can bypass eCPPT.

Do you think I would have trouble writing the report if I've written technical documents? I also had to write a report on securing an unpatched operating system and breaking into one for class. Would that be helpful too? I had to write detailed steps for each document that I wrote but I'm not sure how much detail is needed for the eCPPT.
    Booya!!
    I wouldn't be able to tell you what would be required for the report portion as I haven't completed the cert. If you wrote a report like you stated for a college level course with a qualified professor (with experience in the field) then yes you'd probably be alright to skip and go to OSCP (at least in regards to the reporting part). You'll know best what you are prepared for and there have been a few post with people listing their experiences and what they felt would be best to know prior to starting the class. Review those, see where you stand, and decide if you can dedicate the time to cover the topics you are weak on, on top of the normal work related tasks and task required of the class. Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    I wouldn't be able to tell you what would be required for the report portion as I haven't completed the cert. If you wrote a report like you stated for a college level course with a qualified professor (with experience in the field) then yes you'd probably be alright to skip and go to OSCP (at least in regards to the reporting part). You'll know best what you are prepared for and there have been a few post with people listing their experiences and what they felt would be best to know prior to starting the class. Review those, see where you stand, and decide if you can dedicate the time to cover the topics you are weak on, on top of the normal work related tasks and task required of the class. Good luck!

Thanks!!! I forgot that you were still working on the course. I did go through some posts about this course and it's still pretty difficult to decide on which could I want to do but its more important what course I should be doing. I think that the beginner course should be done unless I study the syllabus that they have and I study more CEH material. Then I might just move on to the professional course.
    Booya!!
    I tend to think the beginner course is for real beginners. I think most people could go the Professional route and then fill any gaps they have with online resources.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would consider the student class mainly because I think it gives programming basics.
    I tend to think the beginner course is for real beginners. I think most people could go the Professional route and then fill any gaps they have with online resources.

I was thinking about filling in the gaps but I don't know how much that would put me behind.
    Booya!!
    SephStorm wrote: »
    I would consider the student class mainly because I think it gives programming basics.

I didn't see programming basics in the syllabus.
    Booya!!
    Now they just updated their professional course!!!
    Booya!!
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Huh. Maybe I was confused with Heorot's certs. Anyway, it looks good!
    The price also went up for the professional course but it still looks good though.
    Booya!!
    V2 looks pretty good and I'm glad updating the course was a priority for them.
    V2 looks pretty good and I'm glad updating the course was a priority for them.

Yea but the price went up too! I'm just glad that it's not $1000 and I (and others) can still afford to do the course.
    Booya!!
    Yeah they sent me the email, but made me mad that if you buy the updated course material the exam isn't included (or at least discounted). But might still buy it and knock this one out...especially since you get lab time!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff