LPT...worth it???

the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
So I'm taking the ECSA exam next week, and trying to decide if I should apply for LPT (Licensed Penetration Tester). Does anybody here have LPT? And if so, is it worth the $250 a year? What are the perks? (Sadly, I can't find much about this on ECC's website)

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    What would you try to do with the LTP once you got it? Use it to get job interviews? Self-marketing for your own pen testing consulting service? As a requirement for other certs?
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My highly biased personal opinion? Dont do it. I have never heard of a single person who was proud to hold an LPT (Except possibly BillV). Based on reviews, the ECSA is effectively CEH+ and does not really validate any additional skills. You may see it in a job posting, but it would be a HR screen most likely, and they would probably have an alternative, say the OSCE.

If you want to take the ECSA however, my advice would be (I know this sounds like advertising, but it is my personally opinion, based on feedback I received by students...) Look at Security University's like of certs, they will prepare you for the ECC certs, and give you more hands on value. I spoke to one of the course graduates when I took a course (he had completed the series, SU equivalent to CEH/CHFI/ECSA, and he had taken the ECCouncil exams, and he said the SU classes were better.

But the best gauge has to be your own, look on LinkedIn, or other places, what level of experience to these ECSA's and LPT's have? LPT should mean you are an expert. After breezing through the CEH, and I saw you mention the CHFI, now the ECSA, do you feel like you are a LPT?

I guess what we really need is a review comparing the ECSA to the OSCP... Anyone seen one?
  • gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As JDMurray said, it depends on what you want to achieve.. Do you want to specialize, or get an specific job, or just for having it? I havent take the equivalent course yet in ECCUNI but definitely at least for me im going to take the course to increase my knowledge in overall security. If you decide to take the training and go for the cert let us know how it went. Good luck.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    To be honest, I probably wouldn't use it for anything for a while. I'm going to stick with my current job in vulnerability analysis until I finish my bachelor's (got about 6 months left). Then I'm probably going to take two years off to work on my Master's of Info Assurance. So it would be at least three years until I actually used it for interviews. I was mostly just wondering if there were any additional benefits such as additional access to training and seminars...or access to "best of" toolkits, etc...

Seph, I'm considering hitting OSCP once I'm done with knocking out the CEH/ECSA/CHFI combo. I'd be curious to hear a comparison of someone who has done both too.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is your employer paying for it? If so than go for it. If not than why not go after something like the eCPPT? EC-Council doesn't have a great reputation, and the CEH is the only one you are likely to see on job postings.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Is your employer paying for it? If so than go for it. If not than why not go after something like the eCPPT? EC-Council doesn't have a great reputation, and the CEH is the only one you are likely to see on job postings.

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't seen this one yet. I'l look into it.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i realize this thread is old, but I google'd ECSA.. looks like you took it, and it's been years, did you like it? did it help you any?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark