Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hypntick wrote: »
    In the process of working on the first 3 tasks for LAT1, doesn't seem like it's going to be that bad.

Hope your topic is general and not IT related. :)

It's more of a PITA than it is difficult...it's just no LAE1. Don't take it too lightly...
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    Diploma arrived in the mail today! icon_cheers.gif

Definitely feels good looking at it and knowing what I was able to accomplish.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    novovictus wrote: »
    I wish I had this resource a few weeks ago!

I think I mentioned the book in passing somewhere in one of these threads, or maybe I PMed it to someone. I just thought it a good idea with another slate of OOP course comments popping up to mention it.
    swild wrote:
    Thanks for this! I'm about to get back into this class next week and will definitely check this book out.
    You're quite welcome. That last task is a bear without good resources handy. If I can save someone time and hassle with the info, I'd be pretty happy.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Hope your topic is general and not IT related. :)

It's more of a PITA than it is difficult...it's just no LAE1. Don't take it too lightly...

My mentor actually warned me on that ahead of time. Wrote up my thesis statement and submitted it to the course mentor to approve before I started to get in depth with it. Heard back from task stream on INT parts 1 and 2, task 2 was accepted, some minor revisions on task 1. Re-submitted after about a half an hour of revising the second part of task 1. Hope to hear back tonight. But I got myself a new toy so may take the evening off to play, been a long week.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i thought tech/cap was easier than the la** classes
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I just read through the Assessments Competencies in the MBA - Strategy Management program and I am honestly excited. This is perfect for what I am looking to do and learn. eBusiness and Supply Chain look like great courses. HR even looks solid.

My interest in the business side is 90/10 maybe 95/5. This is going to be great to fill in any knowledge gaps I possess and then some.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Apparently I have no clue what they're asking for in INT1 task 1 section A2. Specifically A2b and A2c, the reviews i'm getting back aren't really telling me much. Have asked for help from the course mentor, waiting to hear back.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    Apparently I have no clue what they're asking for in INT1 task 1 section A2. Specifically A2b and A2c, the reviews i'm getting back aren't really telling me much. Have asked for help from the course mentor, waiting to hear back.

Maybe this will help

INT1 Task 1 Section A2 wants you to pick a historic event (I used an example in taskstream) [Mt. St. Helen's eruption]

Section A2a you have to write in your slide the social and history around the time just pick what was randomly happening then (I used one of each - international politics, scientific exploration, news, national politics and economic news)

Section A2b wants the impact the event has had on our scientific understanding. I found four points that when searching showed up. ( I just tried to be broad in my four points - in that technological advances had to be taken, ecological happenings, how much land was loss in the eruption, and ecological reclamation)

Section A2c wants two examples of what scientist thought had changed due to the event. (I used a whole slide on each example talking about a plant that restored life to the destroyed area [this example changed how scientist understood the natural world] and technology is now used to track everything about a volcano [this example added to the knowledge of the natural world] * I did use a source for each of these examples)

My total slide was 11 pages. I hope this helps you pm me if you need more help ( Anything to avoid LAT1)
  • Options

For A1, I used genetics (example in taskstream). For A2, I used the Black Plauge [Death] from the Middle Ages. [I'm a history buff, and the Plague was a perfect example for this task.]

I think your issue is you're trying to write those slides like a paper instead of a Powerpoint. You want to just write key points (still cite though) while answering the rubric.

With intro slides for both topics and one slide for references, my presentation was thirteen slides total. (6 slides each topic) I suspect you're just overthinking the task. (Believe me, I know...)
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    I just read through the Assessments Competencies in the MBA - Strategy Management program and I am honestly excited. This is perfect for what I am looking to do and learn. eBusiness and Supply Chain look like great courses. HR even looks solid. . .

Stop it! :) I'm currently considering another MBA program, but I've been so enamored with the WGU one I'm almost saddened to be looking somewhere else.

The only course I've heard bad things about is Supply Chain. Apparently, that one needs a new mentor like the Java courses did.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    Stop it! :) I'm currently considering another MBA program, but I've been so enamored with the WGU one I'm almost saddened to be looking somewhere else.

The only course I've heard bad things about is Supply Chain. Apparently, that one needs a new mentor like the Java courses did.

My professor from ISP is in love with value chain and supply chain. www.quickmba.com will help you out on both (along with numerous other sources.) Only on how IT/IS can tie into them.

Also, Porter's Five Forces model is pretty much standard for any MBA program. (I believe that one was a MGC1/ORC1 topic...)
  • Options
    My professor from ISP is in love with value chain and supply chain. . .
    Also, Porter's Five Forces model is pretty much standard for any MBA program. (I believe that one was a MGC1/ORC1 topic...)

I'm not having trouble with the topic; I'm referring to a student who mentioned in another 'net location that the supply chain mentor gives "read the book" answers to E-mail questions and has videos simply where he flips through the book and says "read this".

I doubt Supply Chain would give me much trouble. "Five forces", eh? I don't remember it from MGC1/ORC1, but I remember hearing that term. Since I was considering the MBA-ITM, Supply Chain would not directly affect me (unless they change the program right before I sign up!).
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    I talked with my mentor today and went through a few of the courses. I have to admit everything looks good and I like the format. It's set up like real business. You are expected to deliver an assignment and if you don't you don't get credit for it.

I'm very comfortable about my decision. Is it Harvard business no, but it's something you can learn from and be proud of.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm not having trouble with the topic; I'm referring to a student who mentioned in another 'net location that the supply chain mentor gives "read the book" answers to E-mail questions and has videos simply where he flips through the book and says "read this".

I doubt Supply Chain would give me much trouble. "Five forces", eh? I don't remember it from MGC1/ORC1, but I remember hearing that term. Since I was considering the MBA-ITM, Supply Chain would not directly affect me (unless they change the program right before I sign up!).

Porter's Five Forces shows up in the MGC1 course. It's in the e-book and there's a link in the COS.
  • Options
    usagent27usagent27 Member Posts: 119
    Just passed MGC1! on to Network + scheduled for 04/02
    WGU Progress: started 03/01/12-08/31/12
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Porter's Five Forces shows up in the MGC1 course. It's in the e-book and there's a link in the COS.

It was MGC1...I knew it was one of them.....MGC1/ORC1 and of course LET1 prepared me for both of my current classes. SWOT analysis, Five Forces, Bases of power, types of leadership (shame I didn't have to do the paper on leadership... icon_sad.gif )....all MBA-related topics. The only thing I haven't touched yet was Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.....
  • Options
    ERP you will cover a lot of that in the PMP material as well. My first management class covered Herzberg theory, Maslow Hierarchy, Porters five forces, and Porters three generic strategies (Overall cost of leadership, Differentiation, and Focus)

I also remember Value Chain Analysis and Run-Grow-Transform Framework.

Run= overall cost
    Grow=Focus and Differentiation
    Transform=New (I believe) New Innovation or Process

Man that brings up old memories.
  • Options
    usagent27 wrote: »
    Just passed MGC1! on to Network + scheduled for 04/02

Congrats! I am taking mine this Thursday.
  • Options

Sigh. . . it's been a while, and I literally zoomed through MGC1. Frankly, I don't remember even skimming the COS. . . It was a retake of sorts as I had submitted the CLEP for Excelsior. I grabbed a short CLEP study guide, read it over a weekend, and took MGC1. That was all she wrote. One of the first courses I passed.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Sigh. . . it's been a while, and I literally zoomed through MGC1. Frankly, I don't remember even skimming the COS. . . It was a retake of sorts as I had submitted the CLEP for Excelsior. I grabbed a short CLEP study guide, read it over a weekend, and took MGC1. That was all she wrote. One of the first courses I passed.

I'm almost positive that Herzberg theory was mentioned in MGC1 too....(like maybe 51/49)...when N2IT mentioned, his named definitely stuck out.

Of course, this was a year and a month ago....almost a year and two months since I took the management courses...some stuff just stayed with me though.
  • Options
    I'm almost positive that Herzberg theory was mentioned in MGC1 too....(like maybe 51/49)...when N2IT mentioned, his named definitely stuck out.

Of course, this was a year and a month ago....almost a year and two months since I took the management courses...some stuff just stayed with me though.

Herzberg's in there, along with McClelland's needs. They were in the BNC1, too. There is actually quite a bit of overlap with the BNC1 / MGC1 courses.
  • Options
    usagent27usagent27 Member Posts: 119
    Congrats! I am taking mine this Thursday.

Good luck
    WGU Progress: started 03/01/12-08/31/12
    Courses transfered: AVX1, CPV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Completed: WFV1, CWV1, MGC1,CRV1, BNC1, DEV1, CTV1, DHV1, DIV1, TPV1, RIT1, Cuv1, BOV1, KET1, CJV1, CVV1, DJV1, SBT1,QZT1, DFV1,KFT1
    Completed in one term
  • Options
    Herzberg's in there, along with McClelland's needs. They were in the BNC1, too. There is actually quite a bit of overlap with the BNC1 / MGC1 courses.

I remember those from ORC1. . . that was an interesting couple weeks of compressed reading.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Did you guys know that WGU is on facebook? I think I need a few more reminder emails.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Did you guys know that WGU is on facebook? I think I need a few more reminder emails.

you got those 8 emails too?
  • Options
    you got those 8 emails too?

I only got 2 emails, feeling left out icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    I only got 2 emails, feeling left out icon_wink.gif
    every time some one replies i get a email
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    I'm very comfortable about my decision. Is it Harvard business no, but it's something you can learn from and be proud of.

Would you cut it out already? :)

Talked to my BS-IT mentor about the MBA at length. He gave me some insights as to how to plan, given some extra time I'll have to work on schoolwork over the summer.

All things considered, I'm about 90% locked into going back to WGU for the MBA-ITM. Unless something else crazy comes up to change my mind (again), I will call in early May to get set up for a June 1 start.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Passed the MCG1 this morning. Not a difficult exam. I read through the entire book and took notes on the key terms. Onto the Project+
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Passed the MCG1 this morning. Not a difficult exam. I read through the entire book and took notes on the key terms. Onto the Project+

Congrats, man. I used the book provided by WGU for the training material for Project+. While dry, it was more than enough for the exam. Several other people have posted recommendations for alternate resources, if you decide to go that route. Good luck.