does have Linux+ impress employers

matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys,
how much value does having the Linux+ have? I want get into Linux and since I don't work with Linux at all I figured getting certified might help at least show that I know something. IMO CompTIA exams dont seem to have that much value. Is it worth the price/time to get certified if an employer isnt going to care unless i already have experience working with it?
Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP

Comments

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think it will definitely help you into an entry-level Linux job. I have not heard from the Linux guys that it is by any means a bad or worthless cert. Like the Comptia triad, it is just entry-level. If you have the experience and skill, this particular cert doesn't add much, but sometimes it helps get your resume past a sorting system or fulfills a checklist requirement. IMO, it's worth if you want to show some Linux skill but aren't ready for a more costly or specialized Linux cert.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I think it will definitely help you into an entry-level Linux job. I have not heard from the Linux guys that it is by any means a bad or worthless cert. Like the Comptia triad, it is just entry-level. If you have the experience and skill, this particular cert doesn't add much, but sometimes it helps get your resume past a sorting system or fulfills a checklist requirement. IMO, it's worth if you want to show some Linux skill but aren't ready for a more costly or specialized Linux cert.

the specialized ones look alittle intense for me right now... the main reason i want to pick up the cert is because it seems like if you want a networking job you need to know Linux cause all the big companies are running Linux servers.. at least the posting i have seen lately. the 3 addition certs you get as a bonus sweetens the pot as well :)
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    You need to have distro-specific (RedHat & Ubuntu Server certs for example) Linux certification and some levels of experience to land a Linux job. Linux+ is vendor neutral and will not count for much in hiring though it is a good cert to simply get for the purposes of what it represents on a resume, which is some basic knowledge of Linux.
  • matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    basic knowledge of Linux is all im looking for right now... im not really sure if i want to invest the time it take to get the distro-specific ones.. kind of hoping it will get me started though