Android vs Apple

Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what your thoughts/preferences are and why??

I feel that Apple lock things down too much. (Am not and apple basher I think that it has its place.)

Andriod allows you to edit things. Been open source! lol

I like the ability to edit things if I want. So I prefer Andriod.
Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

Comments

• SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Edit things for what? Android is also less stable in my experience. The countless operating systems is more of an annoyance. And every new one is overhyped to hell and back. But never offer anything even close to substantial.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    On my second Android phone and looking back I wish I did more research, it seems there are a ton of phones and its such a PITA to figure out which one to get. I do miss the Apple's app store a ton. I hardly buy any apps on Play or whatever it is called now but I find I have to restrain myself on my iPad because there are a ton of cool stuff.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Matter of preference really.

No issues with Galaxy phones here.

It's kind of funny, there are many versions of OS for PCs and for the Cisco devices we all like to study, doesn't mean you have to try ALL of them on your Android phone..but IF you wanted to, the option is there :)

Some also don't support apple just because of the proprietary nature of things :)
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you want a good stable workhorse then I think Apple is the one to go for, no one can dipute it has a good interface and a huge variety of apps. For the geek and non geek alike its a decent phone.

If you like to fiddle a bit more (with out the hassle of voiding warenties and stoping you phone working with the app markets) then Andriod is the way to go, more open and more varied.

This is one of thoses questions that is pointless to ask other people, you need to go in to a shop and have a play with a few
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've owned:
    iPhone 3GS, (Original) Droid, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, Droid X, iPhone 4. TracFone.

I've come to like the Apple's interface, as much as I hate to admit it - it works, it's easy, it doesn't crash.
    Applications written for the droid aren't written for a specific phone, generally. If you have the fastest, bestest phone - don't expect many applications to work with it in mind.
    Applications don't crash my iPhone. I've owned two different droid, can't argue with me.
    Smaller Application list.
    Accessories for the iPhone are numerous and easy to find.

The iPhone works. Generally. It doesn't die, crash, become unbootable.

In the case of my Second droid - it can last 13 hours in Navigation without leaving me stranded in the middle of Virgina because I was driving blind without a map or any direction but "South". Luckily, I had stopped at a town which had a Verizon store to get it fixed. I still don't know what store, or what town. The problem? Needed to be updated. That kind of thing leaves a nasty taste in your mouth and doesn't exactly instill confidence.

But I've gotten rid of the iPhone, and smart phones for now for a tracfone. Saves me 90 dollars a month and my phone is a phone - No fuss. I like that.

In terms of smart phones. Call me a apple fan boy, but I consider iPhone to be a better smart phone. Better at working - Carrier issues aside. I've given the droid a second chance, never again unless it's going to be for something really awesome.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I picked up the original Droid on launch day and then upgraded to the Galaxy Nexus a few months ago. I've had a decent amount of exposure to the iPhone but I've never had to use it as MY phone. I find it odd that so many people have issues with Android apps crashing as I have never had an issue with stability either stock or rooted. Honestly, I think the difference between the two is negligible. Picking the right Android device for you and your intentions requires a bit more homework, but I think you will ultimately find something that suits you better if you put in the effort. If you don't feel like doing homework, you can pick up an iPhone and I am certain it will get the job done too.
    :study:
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    True. For some people they've had wonderful experiences with the Android platform. That's obivious, or there wouldn't have been another android phone :P

I quite like the phones. I was eying up the 3D phone at the AT&T store for a while. But I might ultimately pick a Windows Phone - for integrated Office support.

iPhone is user friendly for dogs, cats, and people who don't know/care.
    Android is friendly, it just picks who it wants to be friends with.

There's so many choices out there in the smart-phone world that it you really can't go wrong. RIM, however, needs to pickup the pace - and not by giving Porsche it's own take on the design of the phone.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    JeanM wrote: »
    Some also don't support apple just because of the proprietary nature of things :)

Well, that, and they cost too much.

I'm willing to invest a little time and energy into setting up an Android phone the way I like because the cost is reasonable and the payback is faster compared to investing in an Apple device. For my needs, there's more bang for the buck in Android.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    iCloud is a game changer for me. Being able to effortlessly sync my contacts and calendars to all of my apple devices simply by turning the feature on is a huge plus for me, I no longer have to use Google Calendar as a third party common denominator to get everything synced
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    iCloud is a game changer for me. Being able to effortlessly sync my contacts and calendars to all of my apple devices simply by turning the feature on is a huge plus for me, I no longer have to use Google Calendar as a third party common denominator to get everything synced
    The only reservation that I have with moving to the iPhone 5 is I am completely married to Amazon. While I can use the Amazon cloud player via Safari, that just sucks. I guess that isn't a huge deal... But the fact is, I detest iTunes and do not want it to be installed on my computer, if I can avoid it. But I am really excited for a new phone come the summer.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For business use I have found that Android users seem to hate their phones. I haven't really used one much, only to setup someone's exchange e-mail account, and I'm not too fond of it.

The layout is terrible, and most of the phones are huge.

iPhone on the other hand. I've had one since day 1. I've never had any problems with mine (only with filling it up with too much music). But, then again, I know of people that hate their iPhones - these people are usually the users that NEVER update their iPhones. They end up coming into my office reporting that their e-mails aren't working. I look at the iOS and it's 3.2 :-O

iPhones have really set the pace for smartphones. Mine has never crashed. Works when I need it and just seems to be a good phone. Also, I've used Microsoft phones and Androids, the only phone that works really well with Exchange is my Apple iPhone. Kinda funny really.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
    Android is saturated. There is a million different phones carrying something like 3-4 different operating systems and custom interfaces from the manufacturer themselves. Yes, you can tweak it more! But for what....so you can say that you did? That's how I felt with my Droid3. It's cool for 5 minutes, then what? The batteries do not last either. Oh, but at least I can change it right?

Off the top of my head!

My Conclusions with Android
    -"gigahertz, multi cpu" specs, megapixels and super awesome price inflating screens are plastered allover advertisements and the internet. Yet, they freeze, force close or reboot regularly. The cameras also royally suck. Considering most people probably use their phones for just calls, texting and Facebook, how is all that so much more important?
    -"But you can root/mod it!" Oh, so I have to risk bricking my phone to have it be functional?
    -"But you can change the battery or buy a better one!" So I have to invest into a better battery so my phone will last throughout the day?
    -"But you can upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich OS!" What does it offer? A cooler name? Call me when one of the next operating systems improves upon the shortcomings I just mentioned.
    -Great keyboards overall in many models that have them
    -Don't like being forced to have Gmail accounts with them (I believe this is the case?)
    -Miss separate email apps in a simple format like I had with Blackberry.
    -Browsing, for a company that specializes in making one is less than stellar

My Conclusions with Apple
    -
    Overall, slightly battery life.
    -Simple OS that just works.
    -Cameras that snap a picture instantly and cleanly. Not having to wait 4 secs for it to snap. Ever try that with kids? Yeah....
    -Some apps aren't free or cost more compared to Android
    -iTunes is a bloated and annoying necessary evil
    -iMessage was a good addition. Doesn't always send as iMessages though.
    -iCloud and Find My iPhone are great.
    -No keyboard options stink. Buying bluetooth ones are not good replacements either.
    -Miss separate email apps (I use Emailganizer for my AOL which does the job though.)
    -Browsing speed seems faster. No flash? Oh well. It's not raining fire and brimstone yet is it?
    -Siri is useful, especially when driving. It's not perfect, but pretty good out the door.
    I might switch back to Apple if they release a 4.5 or bigger screen iPhone. My wife is using an iPhone and the photostream while simple is pretty awesome. That was what I liked about Apple is they take the most basic thing and do it well. If I had an iPhone the sharing of photos is easy (or can be pretty freaking embarrasing).

On the other hand the cool stuff I see them doing with Android makes me like Android but it seems since the manufacturers are trying to out do each other they do cool things but its not consistent across phones. I do see tremendoud opportunities with the phone dock and monitor functionality.

Part of me wishes the phone manufacturers formed a partnership to invest some money in the tablet app platform (if they do already I don't know about it) because Android tablets need to find some common ground. OR they just focus on breaking ground in the manufacturing/factory environment with ruggedized tablets or the hospital/healthcare area.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    ive always been a fan of android, however if apple comes out with a bigger screen i may give it a go next upgrade time
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    ive always been a fan of android, however if apple comes out with a bigger screen i may give it a go next upgrade time
    tpatt100 wrote:
    I might switch back to Apple if they release a 4.5 or bigger screen iPhone.
    I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen, it might be 0.1 or 0.2" larger, but nothing like the 4"+ screens, and still same resolution. It would require yet a third version of every image (besides normal and retina images, not even counting new iPad), they'd give a heads up to developers sooner or later, who for now already have to deal with the new iPad screen. A recent large survey did show that "a larger screen" is a main factor for buyers choosing a new phone.
    Stevelord wrote:
    -Simple OS that just works.
    If you are referring to the consistent simple UI I agree, if it implies iOS is more simple than Android OS I don't.

There's something wrong with the subject of this thread, Android (an OS) vs Apple (a company) is comparing oranges to uhmmm... pears. Anyway, I prefer iOS over Android primarily for two reasons, of which the second is partly a direct result of the first:
    1. The iOS SDK, Xcode (Apple's equivalent of Visual Studio, free on any Mac), Apple's dev documentation and guidelines, developer forums, code samples, etc, are superior to Android SDK+Eclipse+Google docs etc. (although Java looks much better than Objective-C...) Started with Xcode+iPhone SDK/iOS 4 years ago and just some months with Eclipse+droid so I am completely biased (yet the difference is rather obvious).
    2. App Store > Google Play

I don't have problems with iTunes except for some beta issues, simply cause I don't install it on Windows (no pun intended).

So for me it's basically the software. If I had to choose based on hardware manufacturer it would be an easy choice: Nokia (which on a side note is working on a sweet Windows 8 tablet). Or at least a phone with a pressure sensitive touchscreen, for some realistic finger dribbling.
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Android is saturated. There is a million different phones carrying something like 3-4 different operating systems and custom interfaces from the manufacturer themselves. Yes, you can tweak it more! But for what....so you can say that you did? That's how I felt with my Droid3. It's cool for 5 minutes, then what? The batteries do not last either. Oh, but at least I can change it right?

Off the top of my head!

My Conclusions with Android
    -"gigahertz, multi cpu" specs, megapixels and super awesome price inflating screens are plastered allover advertisements and the internet. Yet, they freeze, force close or reboot regularly. The cameras also royally suck. Considering most people probably use their phones for just calls, texting and Facebook, how is all that so much more important?
    -"But you can root/mod it!" Oh, so I have to risk bricking my phone to have it be functional?
    -"But you can change the battery or buy a better one!" So I have to invest into a better battery so my phone will last throughout the day?
    -"But you can upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich OS!" What does it offer? A cooler name? Call me when one of the next operating systems improves upon the shortcomings I just mentioned.
    -Great keyboards overall in many models that have them
    -Don't like being forced to have Gmail accounts with them (I believe this is the case?)
    -Miss separate email apps in a simple format like I had with Blackberry.
    -Browsing, for a company that specializes in making one is less than stellar

No offense, but this is clearly written by someone who hasn't used an Android device in at least 18 months.
    :study:
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    No offense, but this is clearly written by someone who hasn't used an Android device in at least 18 months.

Sounds like my Droid Razr. I regularly have a problem with the screen freezing up and I can't hard reset it because because the "home" button is part of the touch screen so I just wait a bit and it will just crash and reboot eventually. The camera was brought over from the Droid Bionic so I get the same shutter lag that was known for and I had on my HTC Incredible.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I might switch back to Apple if they release a 4.5 or bigger screen iPhone. My wife is using an iPhone and the photostream while simple is pretty awesome. That was what I liked about Apple is they take the most basic thing and do it well. If I had an iPhone the sharing of photos is easy (or can be pretty freaking embarrasing).

In general, this is why I like Apple and their products. They let me work without getting in my way. My time is valuable to me, and if the phone/tablet fulfills my needs than that's all I care about. I don't give a crap about the walled garden schtick and all the other complaints, I just need my device to work the way I need it to work, and Apple does that. Smartphones have reached the level of commodity, and I think folks who bring ideology into the selection of a smartphone are being incredibly silly. You choose the best tool that you can afford, and you leave it at that.

Unfortunately, one of the side effects of our always-connected, always-on society is that everyone feels it's their god given right and duty to ***** about anything and everything. I'm always slightly bemused that the cost of our rapid expansion in ability to communicate seems to be common sense.
    Android or Condom name ...thought this was funny and how manufacturers keep trying to come up with names

Condom Or Android Handset Name? | TechCrunch
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I carry both an Android and iOS phone on me 24/7, but I'm much more of an iPhone person now.

Sure you give up a bit of flexibility by using iOS in apps allowed, devices to choose from, ect. but in my opinion that comes with much reward. iOS is cleaner with a more consistent UI that works when you need it to. While everything you can do with a smartphone is awesome, when you get down to it most users surf the web, check their email, text message and make phone calls 95% of the time. What I look for in a phone is one that does these tasks flawlessly first time every time without hassle.

My iPhone works nearly flawlessly all the time whereas my Android device's browser locks up, alerts freeze, text messaging breaks and email UI is painful to use.

Android phones are great fun to play with but after a long day of work I really, really just want my cell phone to work for simple tasks.
  • XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work in mobility. I think iPhone and iPad are best for business customers. They are the easiest to setup, easy to lockdown, and very little chance anyone is going to mess it up, short of dropping it. Too many people call in with problems with their Android because they don't know how to utilize it's potential...there is a learning curve with Android

Now, me and everyone else at my work all have Androids. I don't think I could ever consider an iPhone even if they made it 4.5 inches. The current size is way too small. Honestly, I don't use my phone for Facebook, texting, or calling anyone. I think I use less than 50 minutes in a month. I use it as my GPS, flash cards, study tool, dictionary, etc . Also I prefer Amazon MP3 over iTunes since the price is cheaper and I don't have to worry about losing my songs (IIRC, if you lose songs you paid for with iTunes, doesn't Apple make you jump through hoops to download them again?).

I have an iPad (1st gen). I like it as an eBook and eComic reader, and a few select apps. But not much else. I think iPhones are best for the average user, but I think most techs who want a "phone" (mini computer really) that they really want to customize, Android all the way!
    shaqazoolu wrote: »

I mentioned I had a Droid3, so you would be incorrect. I've also only had my iPhone for a few months. Wife has had hers almost a year. Have had iPad2 in office for a year. I also have a XOOM Tablet, when it had Honeycomb and now with ICS on it. I've also had experience with several Blackberries as well as the Playbook (which I put well below any Android devices.)

So yeah...
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi Guys,

Just wondering what your thoughts/preferences are and why??

I feel that Apple lock things down too much. (Am not and apple basher I think that it has its place.)

Andriod allows you to edit things. Been open source! lol

I like the ability to edit things if I want. So I prefer Andriod.

I have the Apple 3gs and here is what I like:

I love the screen size, when compared to the Iphone 4 and Iphone4:s

The app store is great!!! Almost all the apps go through a lengthy testing/approval process before they can be submitted to Apple Store.
    It just works!!
    It feels secure…..

What I don’t like about apple/Iphone:

No anti virus for Iphone

The new Siri technology, my phone doesn’t have this, but the newer Iphones do. Siri feels/looks way to much like big brother.

The new Iphone 4 and Iphone4s screens are way to small.
    No flash support..I can't visit all sites

Here is my take on Android:

Not as secure as apple, maybe it never will be.

Apps aren’t always securely tested, which means lots of Malware apps.

As someone else mentioned…10,000 different operating systems, with phones that only support certain operating systems, doesn’t sound appealing to me. If I buy a current Android phone, shouldn’t it support current and future OS updates and operating systems?

Phones with Outdated OS’s sounds like a hackers dream come true to me.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    I think what I wish the phone manufacturers did with Android is create their own "brands" of phones. Use Android but focus not on market saturation but each one create an entry, mid and high end phone and work on standardizing the experience for that particular manufacturer. Like Samsung focus on creating a brand phone so the experience of their custimizations carries across all the Samsung phones.

I hear they are planning on doing this soon though.
  • ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Widgets. Custom ROMs.

Android hands down, and I have two other converts to back me up. Both work in IT, both had numerous iPhones break on them, both swear by their Android phones.

Mine is a HTC Desire running Cyanogenmod 7. Very soon I'll have it running ICS.

I have an iPod Touch, and whilst I appreciate it for "just working", the lack of widgets and the ridiculous reliance on that horrible bloated giant they call iTunes really, really puts me off it. I have it attached to my car headunit, and that is its entire life.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've always been an open source guy until I met my wife. It all started out with an IPOD several years back and now it's become, a 4s, 2 ipod touches for the kids with cameras, the wife has a 4s white and a IPAD 3. I want to get an Macpro, but I am waiting a few months.

I absolutely love the Iphone it's amazing. The graphic quality isn't close. I can't stand those big clunky looking graphics on the Androids.

I can not wait till the I5 comes out. My contract should be expiring later this year. Good times!
    That was one thing I liked that Apple ditched the reliance on iTunes and you can update your phone over the air. I think they were looking to make the push for iCloud first and see how the market reacts.

Widgets? I had a bunch of widgets but I ended up finally with just the weather one because all of mine were just giant shortcuts to the app that took up screen space.

Hopefully Motorola will give me ICS sometime this year, if I stick with Android I am just going with the Nexus since I am tired of all the bloatware gargbage Motorola pushes to my phone. I had the same problem with my HTC and rooting it to uninstall the junk was the only option. Also its hit or miss when I hear of a new OS if I will even get it.
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I am tired of all the bloatware gargbage Motorola pushes to my phone. I had the same problem with my HTC and rooting it to uninstall the junk was the only option. Also its hit or miss when I hear of a new OS if I will even get it.

+1. Again, you have to root an Android phone so its a viable device? It's pathetic.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I don't like to think I am fanboy, but that's probably the first sign you are one....

I found the hacks to mod my androids make them just too much fun not to go Android. But my last two jobs have given me three iPhones... so I end up with both.

Overall I like them both, but just the tweaking with mods, skins, games, development with Eclipse. I really geek out on my android. that's a passion I just don't have for my iPhones. I know, you can "unlock" it... but really doesn't have the excitement. So I suppose for me it's a Windows vs. Linux thing. One works just great, the other just bring the geek out in me and is also awesome.

Also Flash, remains a deal breaker for me. At least until my various CBT services I use move off of flash. But that could easily been another year or two.
    -Daniel
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    oh! Although my favorite app on the market right now is iOS.

Xsigo XMS 3.0: Manage Data Center Server Connectivity on an iPad - YouTube
    -Daniel