Options

Help with ITIL Please!

BrooksyBrooksy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Looking for advice & guidance on ITIL Foundation if anyone can help me. Maybe a bit long winded so please bare with me.....

I have worked in both IT & Admin in various roles for over 17 years from building PC’s to 1st line support for websites and broadband services to Team Leader in a IT repair department, but apart from a few NVQ 3’s from back in the day (1994 to be exact, don't mock please!), everything has been self taught but not sat any exams to certify myself.

Just over 2 years ago I was diagnosed with a spinal disease which has made me servilely disabled, which in turn has forced me to leave employment so I can commit myself for treatment & recovery, So as you can imagine although not very mobile right now, I have loads of time on my hands!

Of course once recovered I want to get back into the IT as humanly possible but I think my days of lugging heavy PC equipment are well and truly over. I want to stay in the IT industry and a friend of mine advised me that he thought I should try to get a ITIL under my belt to better my prospects.

As going to classes is not a viable option for me I am looking to self teach myself, my main question is...
  • is it possible to gain a ITIL if not been in the IT industry for over 2 years although I do keep up my knowledge with sites like ComputerWeekely etc?
  • Can anyone advise me on any books for the course?
Thanks for your help in advance.

****Sorry if started this thread in wrong place, but any advice would help!!!****

Comments

• Options
    Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Brooksy

ITIL Foundation is certainly a great cert to have in the UK job market. Being out of IT for a few years will be no issue because it's aimed at beginners and is non-technical, so as long as you study you'll be fine.

You can either buy books and self study or take an online course - the exams are also available in test centres or online at home (proctored via a webcam). There are lots of other threads in this forum with pointers to foundation materials online and book reviews, so I'll just recommend you visit the ITIL Official Site (http://www.itil-officialsite.com/) as you can access the syllabus and a sample exam on there.

Good luck,

Claire
  • Options
    BrooksyBrooksy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Claire,

Thank you for your input, not currently being in IT right now was a worry for me, but you have helped me on that and again, thank you for your advice!

Wayne
  • Options
    Hi Wayne

You're very welcome, feel free to message me if you've got any follow up questions.

Claire
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dear Claire,

mind putting up which books to specifically buy for this exam. I will like to do the exam as well as it will be my first entry into the ITIL world and am a bit clueless and everything seems confusing to me
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    Hi Fred

Here are some books which I'm aware of and know are good - that doesn't mean there aren't others, but these are the most popular:

Passing your ITIL foundation exam 2011 edition ISBN 9780113313556
    ITIL Foundation pocketbook 2011 edition ISBN 9780113313495
    Passing the ITIL Foundation exam 2011 edition ISBN 9789087536640

If you're fairly new to ITIL then the larger books would be more suitable than the pocket books which have the bare basics only.

Claire
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Claire.

I now have an idea where to officially begin.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    Good luck, don't forget to let us know how you fare in the exam icon_smile.gif