CCNP ROUTE Lab manual from the Cisco Academy

vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
Anyone know if this is a good (and legitimate) resource. I'm guessing that since Cisco keeps the link active on their website that it's ok to distribute. The copyright says it is public info and can be distributed for non-commerical use.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/10182-102-1-37273/CCNP%20ROUTE%206.0%20SLM.pdf
Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...

Comments

• nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    It looks like the lab manual for the Networking Academy.
  • BrakarificBrakarific Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The labs from the networking academy helped me out a lot for the CCNA, so this is quite valuable. Thanks for the post!
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Well it sucks that I paid for this 8 months ago and now it's free. icon_sad.gif
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Monkerz wrote: »
    Well it sucks that I paid for this 8 months ago and now it's free. icon_sad.gif

Yeah that does kinda suck....on a positive note, how well did it prepare you for the ROUTE exam?
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    change 10182 to 10183 and 10184 for switch and tshoot.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/10183-102-1-37273/CCNP ROUTE 6.0 SLM.pdf

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/10184-102-1-37273/CCNP ROUTE 6.0 SLM.pdf

Since they are coming from cisco's website and I have access to the download I guess it's ok to download, but still not sure... icon_silent.gif
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    This document is exclusive property of Cisco Systems, Inc. Permission is granted to print and copy this document for non-commercial distribution and exclusive use by instructors in the CCNP TSHOOT course as part of an official Cisco Networking Academy Program.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhh, yeah....I don't know. There has to be an official comment somewhere.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Priston wrote: »

Since they are coming from cisco's website and I have access to the download I guess it's ok to download, but still not sure... icon_silent.gif

If the company has it publicly available on their website, and you don't have to go through any access controls to get to it, then you're fine, the only course of action they have is to pull the material. It's not like it's a brain ****, and honestly, all of the information in those guides is also freely available through their configuration and reference guides, it's just packaged a little better for students. Enjoy the bounty.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well when I was looking at the other files they have by changing numbers on the link there was CCNP_TSHOOT_642-832_Official_Certification_Guide with ciscoguide.com stamped on the first page. As if those were files Users uploaded to a forum
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Nice, thanks for linking these!
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Yeah that does kinda suck....on a positive note, how well did it prepare you for the ROUTE exam?

Lab the manual a few times and any lab seen on the exam shouldn't be a problem.
  • wavewave Member Posts: 342
    Awesome!!

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have both the hardcopy and the PDF. The hardcopy often tells you to copy text from the electronic copy. Not possible as there is no included CD with the book so maybe that's why Cisco provided the free downloads. Anyhow, feel free to download. Me, I'm happy with my hardcopy. Less screens to switch to.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've been trying to find Labs. Thank you :)

+Rep for you.

It's found on Google as well and downloadable through google so there shouldn't be a problem with it.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    awesome find!
    although it looks like it is some kind of "glitch", because all 3 files save with the same filename.
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I've been trying to find Labs. Thank you :)

+Rep for you.

It's found on Google as well and downloadable through google so there shouldn't be a problem with it.

Thanks for the rep...I would have had a hard time passing ROUTE without that lab manual...it gets you into the mindset that Cisco uses when they test as far as config and verification. It is an invaluable resource. I'm using the same doc for SWITCH and will find out soon if it is as helpful as ROUTE.
    vinbuck wrote: »
    Thanks for the rep...I would have had a hard time passing ROUTE without that lab manual...it gets you into the mindset that Cisco uses when they test as far as config and verification. It is an invaluable resource. I'm using the same doc for SWITCH and will find out soon if it is as helpful as ROUTE.

Well, the first lab with the tch scripting blew my mind. It was so awesome!

Man. Im glad I decided to keep on going, so far CCNA seems like a boring time compared to this lab book.

Actually CCNP ROUTE book gave a different impression of "You're a professional, you're no longer that guy stuck in the back IT room, think like one, act like one, get invovled in the network like one." Atleast, that's what I took from Chapter 1, and the forwords. Different experience than CCNA laid out. I'm going to need to get out of my Khakis and get into dress slacks :P

Im sneaking pieces of the lab in while working on a deadline that's due today >.> Gah. Imaging + last minute, urgent projects. :\

Not to mention the office flooded this morning so im sipping on Monster while trying to talk to the plumber, imaging, and labbing. Fun times.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• danielno8danielno8 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    vinbuck wrote: »

You're right, seems like a good manual. Only thing that is annoying me (only a few labs in) is haveing to reconfigure the routers every lab. I wish they would use the same subnets as much as possible for links etc. Seems like spending 2 hours studying, and 1 hour of it is spent assigning IP's to interfaces/removing configuration from the last lab!
  • Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    danielno8 wrote: »
    You're right, seems like a good manual. Only thing that is annoying me (only a few labs in) is haveing to reconfigure the routers every lab. I wish they would use the same subnets as much as possible for links etc. Seems like spending 2 hours studying, and 1 hour of it is spent assigning IP's to interfaces/removing configuration from the last lab!

I found that infuriating - so I tried to incorporate each lab with the objectives of the next one. I'd try to achieve the objectives with the topology I had, adding to it if I couldn't. I found that you think a bit more about what you are trying to achieve this way too.

Nate
  • razarrazar Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for this, only just started ccnp study but good to stack up on resources from now!
  • poguepogue Member Posts: 213
    I found that infuriating - so I tried to incorporate each lab with the objectives of the next one. I'd try to achieve the objectives with the topology I had, adding to it if I couldn't. I found that you think a bit more about what you are trying to achieve this way too.

Nate

One thing that may help with this is to create separate base config files for each separate lab, and then create batch files that drop the new lab files into the directory your topology file is looking for the base configs.

I have a friend that built a single lab topology that conforms to all the labs in that manual. I can save my topology and configs as I am working on each lab, then I use a batch file that wipes the configs and loads a baseline config that I saved in another directory. It should be easy enough to duplicate this batch file once for every lab, and just edit the "pre-load" config path dependent on the particular lab you are dealing with.

The basic logic of the batch file is simple:

Here is the batch file I run before each new lab (+ reload all routers)

cd C:\CCNP\Topologies\working-configs\ (Current working directory)
    del *.* /Q
    copy "C:\CCNP\Topologies\base-configs\*.*" "C:\CCNP\Topologies\configs"

This deletes your current working configs, and replaces them with the configs in the directory you point it to.

Expand this logic to the entire lab book, and just copy each lab's "pre-load" sequence from each lab, edit out the extraneous text, and customize the batch file with a different name for each lab. You should end up with a slightly different batch file for each lab that points to a different set of pre-load config files.

I really should get around to doing the entire pre-load sequence batch files for each lab and putting it up somewhere for everyone to work with. Maybe we can work cooperatively on this, since everyone uses this lab manual so much?

Please let me know if this post is not clear, and I will try to help.

Russ
    Currently working on: CCNA:Security
    Up next: CCNA:Voice
    Do you have a copy of that single lab topology? I think that would perk everyone's (definitely mine!) interest

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    danielno8 wrote: »
    Only thing that is annoying me (only a few labs in) is haveing to reconfigure the routers every lab. I wish they would use the same subnets as much as possible for links etc. Seems like spending 2 hours studying, and 1 hour of it is spent assigning IP's to interfaces/removing configuration from the last lab!

The labs have (max) about twenty IP addresses and subnet masks to configure. If it's simply a matter of typing, even if you're a slow typer, this is a task that should take around 3-5 minutes. If it's taking you an hour, or even a quarter of an hour, perhaps it's a good thing you're getting extra practice subnetting and assigning IP addresses. The whole purpose of the lab is to provide practice so you're capable of doing these things quickly and efficiently!
  • wavewave Member Posts: 342
    Or copying and pasting the configs from the PDF into a text editor, changing the interface names/format and pasting them into the CLI.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Do you have a copy of that single lab topology? I think that would perk everyone's (definitely mine!) interest

Yes I do.. Can it be attached to a post here?

Russ
  • danielno8danielno8 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The labs have (max) about twenty IP addresses and subnet masks to configure. If it's simply a matter of typing, even if you're a slow typer, this is a task that should take around 3-5 minutes. If it's taking you an hour, or even a quarter of an hour, perhaps it's a good thing you're getting extra practice subnetting and assigning IP addresses. The whole purpose of the lab is to provide practice so you're capable of doing these things quickly and efficiently!

I may have exaggerated slightly on it taking me an hour, just want to get my point across. Either way, it's time faffing when i'd rather be spending the time learning the material i do not know (i know the subnetting perfctly well!)

Againt, copying and pasting is time faffing i don't wnt to waste lol.

I lke the sound of this script that has everything ready to rock when booting up, then all i need to do is look at the topology and get cracking on the objectives!
    Here you go. Let me know if there are any issues with the file..Rename with .net extension..ccnp_route.doc

Russ
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Thanks for the links to the lab manuals!
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Bump. Thanks for link, I take route in 2 months.
  • andrejjorjeandrejjorje Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the links.icon_thumright.gif