Got the job but need the certs. Which ones?

mds2004mds2004 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am lucky and got the job before I had the certs. Basically what I do is workstation and network projects. If a company needs to have their workstations upgraded/replaced or if they need their servers upgraded/replaced I will do it. Same for setting up new networks or redoing old networks with new equipment. The nice thing about the job is it is well rounded as I am also doing firewalls and other devices as well.

I know that I need to know much more be considered an expert in anything, so I am wanting to take more certs to gain knowledge and back up the job credentials.

Which certs should I look into? Currently I have Microsoft 70-680 and 70-686 giving me MCITP as a Desktop Administrator. I was thinking of continuing towards MCITP - Server administrator but I am thinking go getting something in networking to make me more well rounded.

Also if there are any week long classes worth taking please let me know as my employer says they will pay for it.

Thoughts? Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Most of these exams can be taken via self-study, I have done all of mine that way. If your employer is willing to pay, maybe look at New Horizons and Global Knowledge, among others.

As for which exams you should invest your time in, it depends on which route you want to head to. Do you want to surface the highway (be the network dude) or drive the sports car on it (be the server dude)? Take your pick and go hard at it.

Welcome to the forums!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • icedpikachuicedpikachu Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Essendon,

I am starting my IT career with A+ and I am curious what I should take after that cert wise? I have taken CCNA course a long time ago and liked it, i caught on easily
    Essendon wrote: »
    Most of these exams can be taken via self-study, I have done all of mine that way. If your employer is willing to pay, maybe look at New Horizons and Global Knowledge, among others.

As for which exams you should invest your time in, it depends on which route you want to head to. Do you want to surface the highway (be the network dude) or drive the sports car on it (be the server dude)? Take your pick and go hard at it.

Welcome to the forums!