Passed Security+ this morning!

babarricusbabarricus Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I'm a long time reader, first time poster here. I just wanted to say I passed the Security+ exam today, with a score of 867. So freaking happy about it! I can confirm that if you read Darill's book cover to cover, twice(!), this exam is very manageable. Having said that, I was freaking out when the first few questions were using really unfamiliar terms - I'm assuming they were beta questions or something! Anyway, I reckon the best resources for someone looking to pass this exam and not spend a fortune would be
  • Darills Book
  • Prof Messer video series (on YouTube, really good for when you're just tired of reading)
  • Technotes/forums on this site
:D:D:D
Sean

Comments

• SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    Congratulations!! Thank you for posting your reading materials.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • babarricusbabarricus Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Sponx! I meant to say as well that I used the Kindle version of Darills book - which was really handy on the iPhone app too. I usually managed to squeeze in a few pages during the day on my phone when commuting, etc.
  • SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    I wish I was able to do that... But I love highlighting and making notes too much.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
    Agreed on the note taking, they say "active study" like writing out notes helps you retain the info better I think. Like you're using different types of learning, reading and writing to reinforce the material. I reckon watching some lessons on Youtube is a good way to mix it up too. Using the iPhone app was just a small bonus, but definitely wouldn't recommend it as the best/main way to do it.
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and a great score also <hold your head high my friend>...the podium is yours:)
    The Wings of Technology
  • yamaj615yamaj615 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! So what is next on your certification list?
  • techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
    Congrats on the pass!! Always awesome to see that pass message on the computer screen. icon_thumright.gif
    (CCNP: Switch) Passed!
    (CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
    (CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
    (Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:
  • KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! How long did you spend studying? I am working on it now and Darril's book should be here tomorrow. I am also using labsim and I hope to take the test by then of May.
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Woot! Congratz!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
    Thank you very much for the kind words folks.

Keener, I spent pretty much 6 weeks studying for it. In Darril's book he recommends you should just set a date for the test for 6 weeks time and that will give you a deadline to motivate yourself, or something like that. I was like, "meh, I'll just read this book and see how it goes" but then I thought "why not try this setting a deadline thing, it does make sense". So I booked the test as soon as I got the book. If I didn't book it then I'm certain I would have read the book over a longer period, not really being disciplined about it. I'm really happy I changed my mind and made the booking in the end.
  • KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    babarricus wrote: »
    Thank you very much for the kind words folks.

Keener, I spent pretty much 6 weeks studying for it. In Darril's book he recommends you should just set a date for the test for 6 weeks time and that will give you a deadline to motivate yourself, or something like that. I was like, "meh, I'll just read this book and see how it goes" but then I thought "why not try this setting a deadline thing, it does make sense". So I booked the test as soon as I got the book. If I didn't book it then I'm certain I would have read the book over a longer period, not really being disciplined about it. I'm really happy I changed my mind and made the booking in the end.

Thanks for the info. I like the idea os scheduling the exam to force yourself to follow through. I would like to be done sooner than 6 weeks, but that would just give me more time to study if I finish sooner. I have been using lab sim for about 1 1/2 weeks now and just got through Cryptography. My head is spinning right now! LOL
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • camshaft462camshaft462 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, nice score! That's got to be one of the highest I've seen. Some of those beta questions were pretty weird, definitely scared me at first.

What's next?
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sponx wrote: »
    I wish I was able to do that... But I love highlighting and making notes too much.

The e-book thing isn't for me either. Apart from the highlighting, I find doing exercises, looking at diagrams and pictures, checking the index and contents, as well as overall navigation, quite a pain when using e-books. I hope my tree-loving friends will forgive me as I religiously contribute to reforestation in my area by training my canines to maximize the nitrogen fixation process of individual trees.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    Congrats, nice score! That's got to be one of the highest I've seen. Some of those beta questions were pretty weird, definitely scared me at first.

What's next?

Thanks dude, I was sweating it during the exam though - was surprised to see I scored that highly to be honest. Next up is the CCNA, would love to sit the exams this side of Christmas!
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 250 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□