Options

Advise on Security +

rejazrejaz Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone!

I am going to start revising for this exam soon!, but I just wanted to know what topics do i concentrate on (Prefer people who have passed the exam to answer this), Also i will be using the Exam cram SY0-301 to revise from because its explains things in simple terms instead of all the technical jargon which isn't needed. Any feedback would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have little network security experience but already passed Network+, I would advise you to spend some time getting familiar with the lingo of risk management and risk mitigation as well as the different forms of social engineering and network attack and their mitigation, as much of this would be unfamiliar.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    babarricusbabarricus Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    rejaz wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I am going to start revising for this exam soon!, but I just wanted to know what topics do i concentrate on (Prefer people who have passed the exam to answer this), Also i will be using the Exam cram SY0-301 to revise from because its explains things in simple terms instead of all the technical jargon which isn't needed. Any feedback would be appreciated :)

Hey Rejaz, I reckon the best way to divide your time between the different topics is to look at the percentages of the exam marks which are assigned to each exam objective. This will show you the areas that are worth proportionally more of the exam marks. But to be honest, the best way to revise for this exam, IMHO, is to set a target to sit the exam for about 6 weeks time and then manage that time to read your book cover to cover, watch Security+ lessons on Youtube(I like the Professor Messer ones) and do practice exams (I think Darills book is great for this, also free practice exam on the CompTIA website). If you set a target date for the exam, its much easier to focus on managing your time for each topic I reckon. :)
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I usually print off the objectives and check off what I know in great detail, whatever is remaining will be googled or researched in the various books I buy.
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I usually print off the objectives and check off what I know in great detail, whatever is remaining will be googled or researched in the various books I buy.

Agree totally, that is one way I study for my certs. "like the name"....YuckTheFankees, funny stuff!! Said Inversely even funnier....lol
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    LaduLaserLaduLaser Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Passed it yesterday! What I did, and would recommend:

The Security+ Deluxe Study Guide from Sybex, written by Emmet Dulaney. I got the book, read about one hour per day for a month (not a native English speaker, unfamiliar with the subject, and my only free time to read books is on the bus to/from work), did the five practice tests at the companion CD. Scored 82-86% on those and thought I might just give the real thing a go, for diagnostics if nothing else. Passed with 825/900 (750 req) :)