SSCP vs CISSP

medicmedic Member Posts: 116 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am debating whether to go for the SSCP or CISSP. SSCP is more inline with what my job is (Network Security Administrator - hands on, not a management position) but I know CISSP is the cert with all the recognition. Does SSCP carry any weight or would I be selling myself short by not going for CISSP right away?

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The typical advice I give is to go for the CISSP if you already have the requisite professional InfoSec experience, otherwise go for the SSCP. However, some people (including me) find that the SSCP is good to study for as preparation for the CISSP. Just be aware that having both certs will incur a $150US/year Annual Maintenance Fee, while having only the CISSP is and AMF of just $85US.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JDMurray wrote: »
    The typical advice I give is to go for the CISSP if you already have the requisite professional InfoSec experience, otherwise go for the SSCP. However, some people (including me) find that the SSCP is good to study for as preparation for the CISSP. Just be aware that having both certs will incur a $150US/year Annual Maintenance Fee, while having only the CISSP is and AMF of just $85US.

JD, would you say having and maintaining SSCP adds significant value to a CISSP?
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It depends on the context. If you need a lot of letters after your name to promote yourself then it helps. It can also help to differentiate yourself from all the other CISSPs who are competing for the same job opening. However, other certs can help in those contexts too. The SSCP will give you motivation to study technical topics that are not required for the CISSP exam, so you do end up learning more than you would with just the CISSP.

The SSCP cert itself was once hardly recognized, primarily because the (ISC)2 didn't seem to do much marketing for it to hiring managers. Doing an "SSCP" search on dice and monster now shows the SSCP is more popular.