GCIH prep book by David Evans - Have you read it?

Q80CrudQ80Crud Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just came across this book on Amazon. The one review on it isn't very helpful so I'm asking the forum if anyone has read or would even recommend this book to prepare for the exam.

Comments

• YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I haven't read the book, but it's only 142 pages...so I don't know how much info is actually in the book.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I agree with the above. the only books targeted at the GIAC exams have low ratings.
  • Q80CrudQ80Crud Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    While I appreciate your comments, I'm really looking for people that have read the book to give their thoughts on whether this would be a good buy for the GCIH.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If no one has read the book, that should give you your answer...
  • Q80CrudQ80Crud Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If no one has read the book, that should give you your answer...
    I'll agree when the post has been up for a few days. It's a little early to come to that conclusion now.
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    *crickets chirping*
    WIP: IPS exam
  • laughing_manlaughing_man Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My experience with SANS has been that they test directly from their course books, so that is all you need to pass. That said, I can't see how another text would hurt you. However, SANS (and really all certification companies) tend to be somewhat myopic in terms of how they cover subjects. Maybe that is harsh, but they all have a specific perspective/viewpoint and their own set of jargon, and their tests reflect that. Other non-SANS books will vary in their intpretations and I would find that confusing. Again, you mileage may vary.

If you have the GCIH materials, then read the book and see how it measures up and whether or not it is helpful. And then post a review for us!