Retirement of CCIP Certification

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I did CCIP for one reason and one reason only - all of the technology contained within are tested for in the CCIE R&S lab. I just looked at studying for the cert as lab prep. I suspect I'm not alone. The cert was essentially just resume filler to make me look better.
    I suspect this is the case for many people who pursued the CCIP, and probably Cisco's primary reason for taking the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' approach to the cert-structure. I had the same thought, myself, a while back when I was sitting down and trying to figure out if I should make another push into Cisco-land: work my way through the CCNP and then go on to the CCIP primarily as a way to round out more experience towards a (hypothetical) CCIE attempt.

As for the change itself, I'm guessing Cisco's having the same issues that Microsoft had with their cert-names. Basically, the CCNA, CCNP, and CCIE are the certs that recruiters and hiring managers know and/or care about. CCSP, CCIP, etc. didn't really catch on, so switching everything over to CCNP: <specialty> will carry the branding of a familiar cert for resume-hits, along with a specialty skill-set to play up during interviews. All in all, I'm fairly happy to see that the CCIP material is being officially handed off to its own CCNP track as it's updated, just as the security and voice material was.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Slowhand wrote: »
    All in all, I'm fairly happy to see that the CCIP material is being officially handed off to its own CCNP track as it's updated, just as the security and voice material was.

Yup. After the treatment that Security and Voice got, this change should be no surprise to anyone. It was either retire the cert entirely, or update it, and the skills are valuable enough to update.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403

Current CCIP Exams
    Given Credit Towards CCNP Service Provider Exams

642-902 ROUTE
    642-883 SPROUTE

642-661 BGP (Last day to test July 27, 2012)
    642-885 SPADVROUTE

642-691 BGP + MPLS (Last day to test July 27, 2012)
    642-885 SPADVROUTE

642-642 QoS
    NO

642-611 MPLS (Last day to test July 27, 2012) NO

Does the above chart mean that whoever passed ROUTE and BGP+MPLS from CCIP is a CCNP Service Provider?
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »

Current CCIP Exams
    Given Credit Towards CCNP Service Provider Exams

642-902 ROUTE
    642-883 SPROUTE

642-661 BGP (Last day to test July 27, 2012)
    642-885 SPADVROUTE

642-691 BGP + MPLS (Last day to test July 27, 2012)
    642-885 SPADVROUTE

642-642 QoS
    NO

642-611 MPLS (Last day to test July 27, 2012) NO

Does the above chart mean that whoever passed ROUTE and BGP+MPLS from CCIP is a CCNP Service Provider?

No. It means you don't have to take the SPADVROUTE exam, which is basically the new BGP exam. Likewise, if you have credit for ROUTE you don't need to take SPROUTE. Current CCIP's have to take SPCORE and SPEDGE to upgrade their CCIP's to CCNP SP
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    No. It means you don't have to take the SPADVROUTE exam, which is basically the new BGP exam. Likewise, if you have credit for ROUTE you don't need to take SPROUTE. Current CCIP's have to take SPCORE and SPEDGE to upgrade their CCIP's to CCNP SP

Thanks. Im guessing thats $150 each. Oh well, sounds like a low hanging fruit for all the CCIP guys.
    Oh well, my hands are tied with the IE for now.
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Thanks. Im guessing thats $150 each. Oh well, sounds like a low hanging fruit for all the CCIP guys.
    Oh well, my hands are tied with the IE for now.

Well, again, depends on how good you are at memorization or how much access you have to an XR platform. I'm not going to bother, by the time my CCIP expires, it'll be totally irrelevant hehe

A few of my coworkers had some swearing fits this morning when I let them know about this, though. They've been slacking on finishing CCIP for awhile.
  • rinoelrinoel Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys, seems like Cisco is going the right way since IOS XR made it, anyway what about the 2 exams SPEDGE and SPCORE, are there any materials out or should we wait for some more time..
  • deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    great, so im loosing my CCIP status, that was worth my time and money then... i don't want to spend another £220 to certify up to CCNP SP level. We don't use XR, all of our core is Juniper as that's what they do best, Cisco fits in the edge. Now i know what im going to do next...
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187

I doubt I'll even bother with it though. If I want a service provider cert, I'll just do CCIE SP after I finish R&S and that will be that, although more likely than not, I'm going down the Juniper path once I'm done with R&S

I think the same, but if Cisco release the Beta exams of the SPCORE and SPEDGE for 50 bucks as they normally do I might sit on them without preparation just for the heck of it and I wouldn't care that much If I'll fail or pass.
    Non-native English speaker
    I don't think you'll lose your certification-status, deth1k. If I remember correctly, anyone who earned a CCSP or CCVP before those respective changes, held on to the title even after the change-over. As long as you continue taking pro or CCIE-level exams, I'm fairly sure your status won't change.

Sett wrote: »
    I think the same, but if Cisco release the Beta exams of the SPCORE and SPEDGE for 50 bucks as they normally do I might sit on them without preparation just for the heck of it and I wouldn't care that much If I'll fail or pass.

Have I understood this correctly?

"With the retirement of the CCIP certification, candidates will no longer be able to recertify their existing CCIP certifications after October 29, 2012"

So three years down the line after 29th of Oct (presuming i've passed NP level exam before then) my CCIP will no longer be valid / expired?

I'm really hoping what you've said is correct :)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    People should be glad this certification is being updated. What would be the point of hanging onto some old outdated CCIP anyway? Just because you passed the test five or six years ago? If you want to show you have knowledge with current products and technology (which is why we get certs, no?) then you would want the newer certification anyway.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Hmm, it looks like the FAQ is pointing towards the CCIP going away altogether after the three-year mark from October, as deth1k mentioned. Still, since ROUTE and BGP translate to SPROUTE and SPADVROUTE, respectively, it's not a total waste of the investment to have earned a CCIP cert now before the retirement date. With two in the bag already, passing another two exams in three years to earn the CCNP Service Provider status shouldn't be too difficult.

As with the retirement-announcement of any cert, it's probably not a good idea for anyone to try to rush and knock out the required exams now before the change, if they don't already have any of the tests finished already. The grace-period, until October, is meant for those who are finishing up what they've already started.

As with the retirement-announcement of any cert, it's probably not a good idea for anyone to try to rush and knock out the required exams now before the change, if they don't already have any of the tests finished already. The grace-period, until October, is meant for those who are finishing up what they've already started.

Yeah, the problem is, the grace period isn't actually to October if you happen to be missing the two exams that are going away at the end of July.
    RE:

People should be glad this certification is being updated. What would be the point of hanging onto some old outdated CCIP anyway? Just because you passed the test five or six years ago? If you want to show you have knowledge with current products and technology (which is why we get certs, no?) then you would want the newer certification anyway.

That's all fine however there isn't any material our there for the two new exams at the moment and most likely won't be. It's going to be just like the old BGP/MPLS - find it yourself type thing. Also IOS-XR which I'm not working with at the moment nor near future. Having spend time and money into studying for this cert its kind of sad to see it go and lose the status too. I was hoping to keep it by certifying in something else, like security however that's not going to be the case now icon_sad.gif
  • ZblaJhaNiZblaJhaNi Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

What do you guys recommend me to do. I have a CCNP and i am in the middle of preparation to CCIP.I read the complete IRA (BGP) and i am at half way with MPLS Fundamentals. Should i take composite&Qos and get CCIP or try with new CCNP SP?

Thanks for help
    ...to the stars through difficulties...
    Yeah, the problem is, the grace period isn't actually to October if you happen to be missing the two exams that are going away at the end of July.
    That would be me posting when I should be sleeping. You're absolutely right, the end of life for the exams is coming in July, not October. . . which, of course, makes the whole situation a little more dire for anyone thinking about that CCIP-run from scratch or after finishing the CCNP R&S.

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As with the retirement-announcement of any cert, it's probably not a good idea for anyone to try to rush and knock out the required exams now before the change, if they don't already have any of the tests finished already.
    I plan to do exactly that. I see no compelling reasons not to. The CCIP will be valid for three years, is a way to demonstrate I am advancing and updating my knowledge, and is a nice stepping stone to CCIE R&S. Three months for two exams is plenty of time, provided you're actively working towards passing them.
    What do you guys recommend me to do. I have a CCNP and i am in the middle of preparation to CCIP.I read the complete IRA (BGP) and i am at half way with MPLS Fundamentals. Should i take composite&Qos and get CCIP or try with new CCNP SP?
    I would recommend doing as I'm doing. Earn your CCIP. Realize certifications need updating every 2-3 years. By the time your CCIP is expiring either: (a) you will know how valuable CCNP-SP is in the marketplace and (b) if it's valuable there will be good training material for the SP-EDGE/SP-CORE exams we need to migrate over. Looking over the new exams, understanding BGP/MPLS/QOS is a good stepping stone towards passing them anyway.
    Also IOS-XR which I'm not working with at the moment nor near future.
    While IOS-XR began at the core with the CRS-1, it's now being deployed on limited edge devices. I expect this migration to continue because IOS-XR is clearly a better operating system. If you have JUN-OS experience, you will like at least some of the changes! In any event, having real-world experience with both IOS and IOS-XR definitely gave me more options and made me more valuable in my last job hunt. The times they are a-changing. :)
  • cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    How much longer until the CCDP becomes the "CCNP Design"?
    I think i'll end up doing JNCIS-SP which is close enough to CCIP since im going to lose it anyway, after all routing is routing no mater what platform you use.
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think I may try for it anyway too. I'm partyway through BGP, and only the BGP and MPLS exams are expiring early - QoS is still an active exam (since it applies towards the CCNP voice cert too if I remember correctly), so that means 2 exams before late July and the 3rd before October.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • gbadmangbadman Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cxzar20 wrote: »
    How much longer until the CCDP becomes the "CCNP Design"?

Not very long, I would imagine. The writing's clearly on the wall. It's now the last one standing. Though I suppose there'd still be the matter of distilling the CCNP into CCNP R&S and CCNP Storage Networking. Just for completeness.:)
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties

-[/FONT][FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Harry Truman[/FONT]
    Maybe it won't go to CCNA/P Design since there is a CCDE. All of the other tracks fall under CCIE X. No idea if it will or not though.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I think the Design track should stay as-is. It is a logical separation.
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    So what do you need to get to prove your knowledge of advanced BGP and MPLS now? CCIE?
    CCNP SP is what you need to get.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    So if I just passed NP like 3 weeks ago, in order to switch roads to this cert I need to complete SPAVDROUTE, SPCORE and SPEDGE it looks like ? guessing there is no Cisco press books out yet specifically geared to these exams...oh boy
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
    No books, but there were never any for the CCIP exams either so that's nothing new.
  • ram1101ram1101 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well that sucks since i couldnt event get my CCIP after taking QOS and BGP+ MPLS exam anyways
    i waited too long after i got my CCNP so the BCSI didnt count i need to take the route. so i couldnt get my ccip in time and i took all the required tests that sucks
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    I figure lots of people are wondering what to use to study for the new CCNP SP track since there are no books out yet. This gentleman put together a nice list of study materials:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/42687