Database Analyst Interview Question

New2ITinCaliNew2ITinCali Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
I interviewed for a Database Analyst position and one question stood out and took me by surprise.
Can someone tell me what the hiring manager was looking for when he asked this question,

"If you are the head coach on a children's football team and you are in the last inning and you are one point away from winning and there are 2 players that haven't played in the game yet. They are the weakest players on the team and they are complaining as well as their parents that you should put them in the game. You know if you put them in the game that your chances of winning are very slim. What would you do?"

I answered:

"Well I put them in the game because it will give them the opportunity to prove themselves and an opportunity to work harder to enhance their abilities to become better players."

I'm not sure if I answered that one correctly. What do you guys think about the question.

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like a behavioral question. No right or wrong answer. What I have seen is they ask you a series of questions like this and then determine if you are a good fit for the orginization.

I've had to take some really crazy test that asked similiar questions

Hope you get that job!
  • New2ITinCaliNew2ITinCali Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Sounds like a behavioral question. No right or wrong answer. What I have seen is they ask you a series of questions like this and then determine if you are a good fit for the orginization.

I've had to take some really crazy test that asked similiar questions

Hope you get that job!

Thanks! I hope I get it as well.. I'm desperate for an I.T. job
  • nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    It's a trick question. Football doesn't have innings!

There was no "right" answer though, as mentioned above. They just wanted to hear you think out loud and see how you process and react to situations.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    nhpr Good catch with the innings!
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So many ways one could have gone with this. I'm guessing though that this question helps them determine who would make an oranizational fit. The only who finds winning more importanting than competing, or competing more than winning.

As others have said, there is no right or wrong answer. Always best to just be honest with these types of questions.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm sure they would've hated my honest and truthful answer in the lines of "sorry, i don't know anything about football".
  • GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    if they are good enough for being a player in my team, then why not?. And apparently, they are in the team ;)
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hope you get the job, welcome to the Bay Area :)